Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• That Guy

Last Minute Trip Questions (Beach, Fireworks, etc.)

Hey guys!

My GF and I leave for DLR Thursday night. I have it pretty much dialed in, but I can use some MC expert opinions.

1. Is there a better night (Fri or Sat) for fireworks viewing?

2. Where is the best location for viewing fireworks? We have never seen DLR fireworks and we're pumped to see them. If you could share your specific reccomoendations, that would be great. Do you guys bring blankets to sit on, if you need to camp out to get a good spot?

3. It seems like the closest beaches to DLR are Newport and Huntington. Which one is better? Has anything changed to make one better then the other? We just want to sit on the beach and enjoy the ocean, shop, etc.

4. Is Sunday a good day to go to the beach? I would like to go when it's not too insane, but I have no feel for what day would be best.

Thanks SO much, I really appreciate it!

Re: Last Minute Trip Questions (Beach, Fireworks, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post

1. Is there a better night (Fri or Sat) for fireworks viewing?
    The fireworks should be the same show regardless of day. However, weather can be a factor! Winds and low clouds will cause a problem with fireworks, so I'd suggest that you try for the show on Friday because there's no guarantee that Saturday will have good weather (i.e. if Friday is canceled for some reason at least you can try again the next night). I don't know that many shows have been canceled recently, but it is always a possibility.

As for the beaches, I'm not that familiar with OC beaches. However we are in a period of "June Gloom" as they call it, where low clouds may be the order of the day. Disneyland is a few miles inland, so any marine layer should burn off in the afternoon, but the beaches may remain overcast all day. In fact, as I sit here typing this it's nearly 3:30pm and we haven't seen the sun yet today.

It's not particularly cold, or even unpleasant, but I just wanted to warn you in case you were banking on sunny skies, sand and surf

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by RangerSyl View Post
    The fireworks should be the same show regardless of day. However, weather can be a factor! Winds and low clouds will cause a problem with fireworks, so I'd suggest that you try for the show on Friday because there's no guarantee that Saturday will have good weather (i.e. if Friday is canceled for some reason at least you can try again the next night). I don't know that many shows have been canceled recently, but it is always a possibility.

As for the beaches, I'm not that familiar with OC beaches. However we are in a period of "June Gloom" as they call it, where low clouds may be the order of the day. Disneyland is a few miles inland, so any marine layer should burn off in the afternoon, but the beaches may remain overcast all day. In fact, as I sit here typing this it's nearly 3:30pm and we haven't seen the sun yet today.

It's not particularly cold, or even unpleasant, but I just wanted to warn you in case you were banking on sunny skies, sand and surf

Thanks so much for the info, I appreciate it.

I won't be too sad if we don't see the sun. Coming from Phoenix, we see too much of the sun.....

Where do you like to view the fireworks from?

• That Guy

Regarding upgrading to an AP.

My GF is buying my two-day park hopper, so I am really debating about which AP to buy. I never need to park, so the DAP is appealing, but the extra discounts would be nice with the PAP.

What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by RangerSyl View Post
    This is so very true!!! We like to park our rear ends right smack in front of the castle at 7:00 pm for the fireworks. Yes, that is over a two hour wait. But if ya grab a corn dog on Main St., talk with people next to you, the time goes by very quickly. Bringing a blanket can be a little nice on the tush....in case the ground is too hot or too cold. Have a great time! It's an awesome show and I have yet to tire of it.
    "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Individuality is a great thing....as long as we think alike.

• Off to Neverland

yes..the cancellation of fireworks is always a possibility...so Friday would probably be best to go for.
    as for placement...of course in front of the castle is best...but if you can't get there... be more towards tomorrowland because the trees towards frontierland/adventureland tend to get in the way.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

I agree with RangerSyl about the fireworks they do get cancelled quite often due to weather so I would plan on seeing them Friday with Saturday night as a back up.

As far as locations to view them it really depends on how much time you want to spend staking out a spot. The best spot we ever had was a bench on the outer ring of the hub directly facing the castle. We sat here for 2+ hours for this spot while also watching the parade. If you do not want to wait forever for a spot I would suggest the patio area of the Plaza Inn. Have fun.

I get the Premium pass. I, too, never need the parking but I like the fact that I can go to the park any day of the year....there are no blocked dates for this pass. And yes, I like the 15% off my food and 10% off my shopping.

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    I agree with RangerSyl about the fireworks they do get cancelled quite often due to weather so I would plan on seeing them Friday with Saturday night as a back up.

As far as locations to view them it really depends on how much time you want to spend staking out a spot. The best spot we ever had was a bench on the outer ring of the hub directly facing the castle. We sat here for 2+ hours for this spot while also watching the parade. If you do not want to wait forever for a spot I would suggest the patio area of the Plaza Inn. Have fun.

That is a tough one, I don't know with just a two-day trip if we have two hours to sit and wait for the fireworks. It's tough to decide. So if we can't wait somewhere, the Plaza Inn is a good back up? how early would we need to scoot over there, to get a good spot?

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by bloodnswash View Post
    I get the Premium pass. I, too, never need the parking but I like the fact that I can go to the park any day of the year....there are no blocked dates for this pass. And yes, I like the 15% off my food and 10% off my shopping.

The discounts would be nice.

The discounts would be nice.
    The discounts do come in handy....especially if ya plan on doing LOTS of shopping and eating your way through the park, hehe. If you get an AP.....my feeling is this: If you get the Premium and go to the park at least twice a year, you are definitely getting your $$ worth. We go at least twice a year. Sometimes up to 4 times a year (we are a 6 hour drive from DL). The twice a year makes it worth paying for that Premium AP.

The Deluxe AP does get 10% off of food. But keep in mind there are blocked dates, no free parking, and no discount on shopping.

Do you have a Disney Visa credit card? If so, you get 10% by showing that.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by bloodnswash View Post
    The discounts do come in handy....especially if ya plan on doing LOTS of shopping and eating your way through the park, hehe. If you get an AP.....my feeling is this: If you get the Premium and go to the park at least twice a year, you are definitely getting your $$ worth. We go at least twice a year. Sometimes up to 4 times a year (we are a 6 hour drive from DL). The twice a year makes it worth paying for that Premium AP.

The Deluxe AP does get 10% off of food. But keep in mind there are blocked dates, no free parking, and no discount on shopping.

Do you have a Disney Visa credit card? If so, you get 10% by showing that.

You make a compelling arguement. I try to get to DLR four times a year, so you're right, it IS worth it. I think I remember reading that you can upgrade at Guest Services, to the left of the entryways. This will be cool!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Hey Max,

Have a great time in SoCal!

No one has answered the beach question but I prefer Newport much more than Huntington. They have a very nice area called Balboa that is great to walk around. Have a blast, I'm sure you deserve it!

Chad

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Hey Max,

Have a great time in SoCal!

No one has answered the beach question but I prefer Newport much more than Huntington. They have a very nice area called Balboa that is great to walk around. Have a blast, I'm sure you deserve it!

Chad
    Thanks very much, I appreciate the info.

My GF is crazy about the ocean, she is from Long Island, and she misses the water. I like the beach too, but haven't spent much time around it. The only beach I have been to that is beyond nasty is Ocean Beach, in SD. There were so many gross burnouts that the place was a pit. Ideally it would be nice to spend time at a laid back beach, where you can relax, as opposed to a get trashed, beer bong beach (like the kind Grouchy Rob frequents)

You make a compelling arguement. I try to get to DLR four times a year, so you're right, it IS worth it. I think I remember reading that you can upgrade at Guest Services, to the left of the entryways. This will be cool!
    Since you visit so often, if I were you, I would get that Premium Enjoy that Premium AP to its fullest!!!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast