Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• FastPass n00b

Just got the "Musical History of Disneyland" set

I am super impressed by the quality and extraordinary attention to detail that went into this set...no surprise there. What I am surprised about is how good these soundtracks actually sound. They are so accurate and clear that it makes you feel as if you are really there. On top of that, there are area and atmospheric sounds added that would strip the soundtracks of their feel if they weren't included. For instance, you can actually hear the paddling and steam releases in the background the entire time on the Mark Twain ridethrough! And the "barker bird" outside of the Tiki Room has Jungle Cruise sounds thrown in to make it sound like you are in the middle of Adenvtureland. So instead of feeling like you are just listening to a recording in your living room, it sounds more like you are listening to the true ride.

I could write a whole other posting on the amazing book and record that come with this set, but to anyone who hasn't bought this set, please buy it. It's not only worth the $125 from DisneyDirect, it's worth a WHOLE lot more than that. This album was made with the utmost respect for Disneyland and its loyal fans.

The new Space Mountain theme sounds way too much like the Incredibles for its own good. I like how it's paced exactly like the old Dick Dale soundtrack, but it just doesn't sound futuristic enough. I LOVE the Buzz Lightyear music, I'm not sure how the music fits into the ride since I haven't ridden it yet, but it sounds very good and just the music alone is excellent. I'll wait and see how Space Mountain feels after I've ridden it. I'm sure I would not have liked Dick Dale's soundtrack if I hadn't have experienced it on Space Mountain first. Plus, there's always Rockit Mountain which I'm sure will be more in tune with the old soundtrack and much more energetic.

• e komo mai

Did you hear the Splash Mountain track where the rabbit and possum moms sing a different tune right before the vulture section? It's pretty cool.

• Still holding the keys

I agree that this set is really spectacular. It was just delivered to me yesterday and I have been listening to it ever since.

So far my favorite track is “Mine Train Through Nature’s Wonderland And The Rainbow Caverns”. That is an attraction I have always been really intrigued by, but never had the opportunity to ride before it was send to Yesterland. Listening to the track now really makes me feel like I have just hopped aboard. Fun stuff.

• Social Imagineer

Well, I am a bit underwhelmed with the set, and I'm glad I didnt' buy it.

Since I've been collecting Disneyland audio for decades, I already had good recordings of most of the tracks (though there were a few real finds!). The CD Set is rightfully called An Audio Library, because I find it far more usable as a compendium of material rather than as a listening experience. I mean, it's got the entire Tiki Room and the entire Bear Jamboree and the entire Bear Hoedown and the complete Golden Horseshoe and on and on. That's not to belittle it; the set is truly a great resource. But how much of it can you really listen to as entertainment?

The book, too, is beautiful - - but I find it lacking as an accompaniment to the CD set. It's very complete in regards to providing the identities of the vocal performers, but it really says nothing about the recordings themselves and is very general about the creation of the music. But it's a beautiful book in its own right, with gorgeous illustrations and a good layout. I expected more detail, though, from the text.

• e komo mai

I was sad that the "Every Cowboy Needs a Horse" song was instrumental. I want to find the track with the words in it that they play in the Frontierland/Pocahontas store...

• Social Imagineer

Heheh, yeah I thought of you when I played that one, G.C. Knew you'd be excited, then bummed.

Just as I really liked the alternate Splash cue, "Sooner or Later," but I was really disappointed they didn't have the creepy version of Laughing Place that the rabbit and possum sing. How come the set featured the complete version of every attraction but Splash Mountain???

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by innerSpaceman
    Well, I am a bit underwhelmed with the set, and I'm glad I didnt' buy it.

Since I've been collecting Disneyland audio for decades, I already had good recordings of most of the tracks (though there were a few real finds!). The CD Set is rightfully called An Audio Library, because I find it far more usable as a compendium of material rather than as a listening experience. I mean, it's got the entire Tiki Room and the entire Bear Jamboree and the entire Bear Hoedown and the complete Golden Horseshoe and on and on. That's not to belittle it; the set is truly a great resource. But how much of it can you really listen to as entertainment?

The book, too, is beautiful - - but I find it lacking as an accompaniment to the CD set. It's very complete in regards to providing the identities of the vocal performers, but it really says nothing about the recordings themselves and is very general about the creation of the music. But it's a beautiful book in its own right, with gorgeous illustrations and a good layout. I expected more detail, though, from the text.
    Although I am quite pleased with this set, I can understand your disappointment as a Disneyland audiophile. I am sure this set was produced for people like me. We enjoy the sounds but we're not as concerned about the history behind them.
    As I'm writing this though, I am beginning to think that maybe I am being somewhat ignorant of a portion of Disneylands history. :o
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Videographer

I really enjoy the set. True, I have most everything in one form or another through my years of collecting; but this set is really put together well.

It is very crisp

There are some interesting interpretations of rides (sounds out of place, out of order, or stuff you no longer (have never) heard on the ride.

I like the ordering of the CDs. It varies from ride, to instrumental, to sounds, to songs in a nice way that doesn't make the CD seem like it is droning on. I love Disney rides but I couldn't listen to attraction after attraction. The ordering breaks things up and keeps my ears fresh (instead of tired.)

Funny that this thread has come up - I am listen to CD 4 right now.

RU

• Senior Minion

Overall, I think it's a very high quality package, and it's obvious they took a lot of care not only in the tracks (and cleaning them up), but with the book, and the reproduction LP (now to find a turntable!) and the entire box. The attention to detail throughout is extraordinary.

Unless, indeed, you're someone who's collected this music in this various incarnations through the years, it's a must-buy package.

• The one, the only...

Good, but could be better!

I love my complete Disneyland set, but what would have made it better if the Original Disneyland recording was not a LP but a CD. I want to play it so very badly but don't have the equipment! I think that it was a poor decision to reproduce the original even if it does seem special as it is an exact preproduction. I WANT TO HEAR IT!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)
    I've been planning to buy this set, but it's just been a matter of when. Looks like I'm not going to make it to The Park this summer, so I guess the time is now. It'll be a good workout for my new Disney credit card!

Someone asked about "A Cowboy Needs A Horse". Check out the "Home On The Range Sing Along" DVD. The entire song is there with vocals.
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• Senior Minion

Just out of curiousity, who else here simply made copies of the CD, and then put the originals back in the sleeve and up on a shelf to preserve them?

• Feel the breeze!

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan
    Just out of curiousity, who else here simply made copies of the CD, and then put the originals back in the sleeve and up on a shelf to preserve them?
    That is the only way I listen to CDs any more. Then, after making copies I ripped them all to mp3, made an mp3 CD to listen to in my truck, and also uploaded them to my iPod.

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyJCA
    Someone asked about "A Cowboy Needs A Horse". Check out the "Home On The Range Sing Along" DVD. The entire song is there with vocals.
    [lightning strikes on a nearby hill]
    Yes! I've found it! Feel the power.
    [/lightning]

Awesome awesome awesome...

Thank you, MickeyJCA, I've been looking for that track for quite some time! Now I'll have to figure out how to convert DVD audio to Mp3 on my broken Mac.

Oh, yes, and special thanks to iSm for the PM about MJCA's post...

• Fastpass Hater

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I love my complete Disneyland set, but what would have made it better if the Original Disneyland recording was not a LP but a CD. I want to play it so very badly but don't have the equipment! I think that it was a poor decision to reproduce the original even if it does seem special as it is an exact preproduction. I WANT TO HEAR IT!
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_f...erid=559390401

Here you go...$13.96 later...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast