Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Boogers are salty

Tomorrowland 98? what went wrong?

So I was thinking about allthis talk about plans for tomorrowland, how its in such need of a rehab, but compared to other lands besides TSI, it just had one, 98 was only 9 years ago and already alot has changed, shut down and just never lived up to its expectations, so what went wrong and what should be done in the future to make sure it doesnt happen again?
    Why was it doomed from the start?

A prime example is Rocket Rodds, low budget, cheap que, no track work to improve the people mover track, what can be done differently thistime around?

• Banned User

Re: Tomorrowland 98? what went wrong?

Even if Rocket Rods had a banked track it would still be a horrible ride. The entire concept was flawed. In fact I'm glad it didn't have a banked track, because it makes it that much easier to bring the People Mover back.

Tomorrowland 98 is what happens when big projects aren't given the proper budgets. They didn't learn from their mistake and built DCA. Then everybody was fired. Hopefully the new team learned from the previous team's mistakes.

A low budget idea that Imagineering was not committed to, poorly conceived and even more poorly executed. Edible plants indeed. Thanks Mike Eisner.
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

A fantastic idea that was all set and ready for something truly fantastic.
    Then came Paris.
    Eisner lost ambition and hacked the budget back.
    Tadaa.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    Then came Paris.
    And Paris ended up being a decent success in the end.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyandme67 View Post
    A low budget idea that Imagineering was not committed to, poorly conceived and even more poorly executed. Edible plants indeed. Thanks Mike Eisner.

Feel free to pass some of the blame around to other individuals as well, such as Harris and Pressler .

• Disgruntled Former CM

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    Even if Rocket Rods had a banked track it would still be a horrible ride. The entire concept was flawed. In fact I'm glad it didn't have a banked track, because it makes it that much easier to bring the People Mover back.

Tomorrowland 98 is what happens when big projects aren't given the proper budgets. They didn't learn from their mistake and built DCA. Then everybody was fired. Hopefully the new team learned from the previous team's mistakes.
    There is a saying in the Entertainment Industry; "Do you want it 'Good', 'Fast', or 'Cheap' ? - Pick TWO" In other words, you can't have all three...

Disney once stood for Excellence in the Entertainment Field; hand-painted animation was neither Fast nor Cheap - and the results were an Entertainment Break-through; still considered to be an Artform unto themselves (75 years later, and people collect the single frame cels - at unbelievable prices).

Attractions were Imagineered (Imagined and Engineered; hand-in-hand; it had to be done this way, because there was nothing else like these in the world!) - created by Disney as one-of-a-kind, singular, premiere rides, shows and attractions; Time and Labor intensive, Cost prohibitive, lengthy process creations (Heck; the Haunted Mansion exterior stood for 6 years in the newly built New Orleans Square area while Disney finished work on the attraction / ride inside - and completed work on the World's Fair...). Scale models, Life Casts, trial and error, huge advances in technology; I am sure that none of this came cheaply; Disney created the term "Audio-Animatronic" because there was nothing previously to describe what these creations were / did! Now we throw around the term "AA" like nothing...

These days, off-the-shelf, generic, sub-contracted rides are purchased, "Disney" slaps a couple of stickers or a coat of paint on it, comes up with a cute name, and voila! A "new" Disney Attraction is born... sure, it looks exactly like what the kids are riding at Knott's and Six Flags, but this white water raft / parachute jump / roller coaster ride is pure Disney fare - look! It has a cut-out of a Disney character on the side of the ride!

No one is at the helm. The ship has no rudder. The Skippers change so quickly that there's no one left on the Bridge to blame when the boat sinks.

Walt died. The driving force of this organization died with him; no one since has had the Leadership, the People Skills, or the Vision to see a project through completion with an understanding of what the people of the world will see as Quality Entertainment. The folks at Pixar are as close as we got in the Animation Dept; no one has filled Walt's shoes in the Theme Park Department...
    Last edited by EvilQueen; 06-06-2007 at 08:58 AM.

• Knight that says Nee!!

In a few words...not enough Star Trek attractions and no Black Hole ride.

OK, seriously though, I think TL98 was doomed by inaddiquecy on several levels. I think even the basic planning was flawed and not well thought out and then the implementation/building was cheap, quick, and too many corners were cut, to much of Disney history/tradition was ignored or disposed of and all added up to dissappointment.

• Boogers are salty

And whats with all the gold and bronze

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

What went wrong with Tomorrowland '98?

Everything.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Why must Tomorrowlands all suck when they could all be so very cool?

• MICE~CHAT Resident DJ

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    In a few words...not enough Star Trek attractions ........
    Oh come on.....Star Wars is so much cooler!

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by 1disneynut2another View Post
    So I was thinking about allthis talk about plans for tomorrowland, how its in such need of a rehab, but compared to other lands besides TSI, it just had one, 98 was only 9 years ago and already alot has changed, shut down and just never lived up to its expectations, so what went wrong and what should be done in the future to make sure it doesnt happen again?
    Why was it doomed from the start?

A prime example is Rocket Rodds, low budget, cheap que, no track work to improve the people mover track, what can be done differently thistime around?
    Money, basically. Rocket Rods was a good concept. I remember enjoying the queue, or at least the part with Circlevision and the history of auto transportation. The ride could have been done better, though I disagree with taking out the PeopleMover. The overall look was unified and it was relatively well themed with a good mix of possible future and fantastic future. Unfortunately all the new attractions sucked and sucked hard. Plus it was cat feces colored.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

i think what it came down to is that Disneyland should be the innovating park , and TommorowLand 98 felt like Disneyland was saying "me to , me to!"

My Maleficent tattoo

• Banned User

Suspended in the timelessness of inner space

Painting Space Mountain brown....what were they thinking? You knew that wasn't going to last.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast