Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Aw....man !

It's funny, how many people you overhear at WDW referring to the MK as 'Disneyland'. I wonder how many of those people have never visited the real DL to see the difference. I also wonder how many of those people have visited both, and still don't discern the difference.
    DL has a charm, history, and overall feeling that the MK will never capture. I know most of that is because it was designed to accomodate many more people, but to me it feels like something else...the fact that Walt never walked thru WDW's big fiberglass castle.
    Don't misunderstand me, I love the MK. I just see it as a very different place than DL. Even though it's a pain to get to, there's something special about having to catch a monorail or boat and feeling the anticipation build as you approach. There are some small touches like the Castle Rose Garden that we love. It's also nice to visit some old favorites, like the Country Bears, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, and (hand on heart) the Carousel of Progress. I like their Splash Mountain (but it needs some TLC), and I always felt like if you could combine DL's superior Space Mountain track with some of WDW's lighting you'd have a real winner (and it sounds like my wish has now been granted).
    But the 'Cliff's Notes' version of POTC, the lack of attractions and theming in Fantasyland (especially no Toad), and no New Orleans Square always take me a little aback. Main Street is one long shopping mall. Toontown Fair still looks like the temporary area it was supposed to be. And one visit to the Tiki Room "Under New Mgt." was enough for me.
    So, in short...if I have to choose, it's DL every time.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

• white and nerdy

I may say Disneyland it'self is better than the Magic Kingdom... but when you look at what else is around.... would you rather go to DCA or EPCOT, Disney Studios, Animal Kingdom, Typhoon Lagoon, and Blizzard Beach...

Disneyland may be better than Magic Kingdom, But I have to say Walt Disney World is better than the Disneyland Resort...
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

The air of excitement within the crowd dynamic is much stronger at the MK. At Disneyland the air of magic is not as strong....The crowds at the MK are charged with an "us" spirit. It feels like "we" are all in it together, like we are all embarking on a new adventure together. You feel it at the Main Gate, on the Ferry or Monorail.....in the lines....the real world is really not there. Close your eyes at the MK and you hear people talking....they are talking about WDW, other attractions around Orlando, the drive to WDW, or even the flight.
    Close your eyes at Disneyland and you may hear some of those things but often you will hear the dramas of everyday life; people arguing on cell phones, talking about their jobs or school, and even when they are talking about Disneyland often it is a complaint.

I still love Disneyland: but the way things are going the MK is looking better and better
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Videographer

It is really hard to compare the 2 Parks. Disneyland is mainly a day-destination. This is reflected partly in what sleepyjeff says.

MK (and extension WDW) is a multi day vacation destination. And being inside really does have a different feel.

I love them both!

RU

Be sure to visit my site!

• Don't Panic

i hate these discussions. soooooooo much. now obviously i should now be told "then dont read them" because that is exactly what i would say. but let me just point out that DL will always come out on top. not because it is better (or is it?) but because (#1) this is mainly a DL website and (#2) this is DL forum. also, i can tell (and some of you just go out and say it) many of you have grown up with DL and not WDW. so, obviously, you are going to find "your" park better because it is more familiar. this isnt always the case, but most times it is. im just so tired of these discussions because the same things get said everytime: more cozy......better tomorrowland........peoplemover............."origi nal".......exclusive....blah blah blah. i mean, maybe it just gets to me because i grew up on WDW, but when i went to DL i went with an open mind and looked at it as a totally new experience. and i loved every minute of it. it was like being in a familiar place that was entirely unfamiliar. and it was FUN!

i said this in another thread and i think it speaks the truth: the two parks are very different pictures colored in with the same crayons. they shouldn't be compared.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    I may say Disneyland it'self is better than the Magic Kingdom... but when you look at what else is around.... would you rather go to DCA or EPCOT, Disney Studios, Animal Kingdom, Typhoon Lagoon, and Blizzard Beach...
    To tell you the truth I'd rather go to DCA then all of those parks. EPCOT just doesn't seem intresting, Disney Studios has very few things to do and the only intresting ride to me that is there is ToT. The Animal Kingdom again, has few rides and no intresting ones. And I just don't like water parks. Although DCA does have few rides they are fun.

• Banned User

Argh! The "quote" thing didn't work.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries
    Disneyland in July and August = Fricking hot. (But you can still breathe.)

Magic Kingdom in July and August = Game over. Take three kids and the wife and just TRY to stay in that park longer than 4 hours.

Oh...and let's not leave out the DAILY TYPHOON that strikes between 2:30 and 6:00 pm.

And the occasional hurricane in September.

Disneyland RULES! It's laid out better, chances of getting hit by lightning decrease by 99.9%, and you can breathe.

I rest my case.

• Official Mice Chat person

Quote Originally Posted by Disney50
    To tell you the truth I'd rather go to DCA then all of those parks. EPCOT just doesn't seem intresting, Disney Studios has very few things to do and the only intresting ride to me that is there is ToT. The Animal Kingdom again, has few rides and no intresting ones. And I just don't like water parks. Although DCA does have few rides they are fun.
    Sorry to say, but I think I agree with you. DCA just doesn't have much attendance, but it's still a GREAT park. DCA "has" MGM studios built in to it, it has a great river rapids ride, it has soarin. (which epcot has), and it has California Screamin'! The best Disney coaster of all time! But this topic isn't about DCA.

Sure disneyland's castle is "smaller" but I personally love it much more than WDW's But that's just me. I would personally like to have a giant mountain serve as a backdrop to the entire park. At the MK, seeing a giant castle in the skyline when looking from Fronteirland really really doesn't fit. (in any of the lands for that matter) Seeing a giant snow capt mountain looks great from all the lands! Heck, Even Tomorrowland!

Speaking of Tomorrowland, DL's is really looking great! With the opening of Space mountain (soon) and supirior Buzz Lightyear, the land has life again. The new paint looks awsome, and the new mural looks fantastic. Innovenstions is slightly better now with Asimo. (which totally rocks) Al says that the peoplemover is coming back, and the subs are For Sure coming back. The "rocks" are getting removed, and astro orbitor is being moved to where it belongs. Rock It mountain will be opening in a year, and Star tours will most likely get a new film in the next few years. DL's tomorrowland is really going to be great in a few years. Space Mountain is REALLY going to bring life back to the land. TL has seemed so horribly bad the past 2 years mainly because it's star attraction was missing, but now it's back, and it's better!

I'm not going to say DL is better than MK. They are both great parks, and are the best in the business. They are both the best in my opinion. But Disneyland is still more special to me because I visited it so much as a little kid.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff
    The air of excitement within the crowd dynamic is much stronger at the MK. At Disneyland the air of magic is not as strong....The crowds at the MK are charged with an "us" spirit. It feels like "we" are all in it together, like we are all embarking on a new adventure together. You feel it at the Main Gate, on the Ferry or Monorail.....in the lines....the real world is really not there. Close your eyes at the MK and you hear people talking....they are talking about WDW, other attractions around Orlando, the drive to WDW, or even the flight.
    Close your eyes at Disneyland and you may hear some of those things but often you will hear the dramas of everyday life; people arguing on cell phones, talking about their jobs or school, and even when they are talking about Disneyland often it is a complaint.

I still love Disneyland: but the way things are going the MK is looking better and better
    You obviously weren't at the park for the 50th anniversary then. The energy in the air when we saw remember was so strong I almost cried.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    I don't really care for the huge castle at MK. the dl one is small, but not to small... It just makes you feel like you made it, and that you could just scale the castle! Also, as someone stated another cool thing about DL fantasmic, is just how during the day you can go on the stage of fantasmic, where as MGM studio's you can't, you know somethings gonna happen! One minute your on the stage, the next lighting rigs come up from boxes on the stage! It's like you walked into the adventure!

All and all, I prefer DL, not saying Mk is bad, but I prefer Dl, and dl's cleanliness!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• I know I'm just a newbie

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    Disneyland in July and August = Fricking hot. (But you can still breathe.)

Magic Kingdom in July and August = Game over. Take three kids and the wife and just TRY to stay in that park longer than 4 hours.

Oh...and let's not leave out the DAILY TYPHOON that strikes between 2:30 and 6:00 pm.

And the occasional hurricane in September.

Disneyland RULES! It's laid out better, chances of getting hit by lightning decrease by 99.9%, and you can breathe.

I rest my case.
    Ok now I'm not sure what little part of heven you call southern CA but in july and august it's hot. don't get me wrong it's hell in fl too, not debating that.

and this daily typhoon your talking about may last 15 min to a half hour

the hurricanes....well that sucked!!!.....now living in fl, but last years hurricanes were the first to hit (CENTRAL) fl in many years

Now if you can breath I socal than your one of the few it's bad when you can SEE the air your breathing I refer to the smog........and yes befor you ask I used to live in palm spring, and drove into the LA area alot. ... lets not talk about the trafficthe world biggest parking lot comes to mind
    now getting to the point at hand DL is far better but but let's face it it's like comparing a 55 chevy to a 71 camaro there both nice cars but the 55's gonna turn more heads.
    Eating greens is a special treat, it grows long ears and great big feet, But it sure is awful stuff to eat

Walt and his crew were pure Geniuses

They are different, and aren't we all glad?? What if they were carbon copies of each other, why would you have to visit both? One would be enough, it is kind of fun to compare and contrast, but I don't think one is BETTER than the other, Just DIFFERENT in some ways.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan[B
    Fantasyland.[/B] What do people associate Disney with? Children! Where do kids normally want to go? Fantasyland. Why does WDW get 90 min waits for Peter Pan and Pooh? There's no where to go.

Disneyland has:
    1. Peter Pan's Flight
    2. Snow White's Scary Adventures
    3. "it's a small world"
    4. The Mad Tea Party
    5. Dumbo
    6. King Arthur's Carousel
    7. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
    8. Pinocchio's Daring Journey
    9. Alice in Wonderland
    10. Storybookland
    11. Casey Jr.
    12. Matterhorn

WDW has:
    1. Peter Pan's Flight
    2. Snow White's Scary Adventures
    3. "it's a small world"
    4. The Mad Tea Party
    5. Dumbo
    6. Cinderella's Carousel
    7. Philarmagic

With the makeover of Fantasyland in the early 1980's to make everything more elaborate and 12-7 attractions Disneyland wins. Sure WDW might have more room, but what would you rather have: more room or more attractions?
    WDW never got a matterhorn but got original Space Moutain which is "loosely based" on the idea of matterhorn...

Storybook & Casey Jr were made to be unique to DL... (that the their spot was where the sub ride went..)

Remember.. FL has pooh too...

(your 2 extra rides were built in small space... with a sub lagoon gone maybe they might build version of them or original ones..)

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    You obviously weren't at the park for the 50th anniversary then. The energy in the air when we saw remember was so strong I almost cried.
    Nope, I have not been there yet this year.

I am not denying that Disneyland feels Magical.........but you kinda just made my point. It takes something "new" at Disneyland to get that kind of energy in the air for Disneyland. At the MK everything is already new to most everybody there.

...again, I love Disneyland, but its crowds, save for the occasional New show or attraction, don't have that certain something that the MK crowds do have(all the time, not just when a specail occasion occurs)
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast