Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• e komo mai

Question Comparing Disneyland and WDW's Magic Kingdom

I don't think we've done this one on MC before, but I'm interested in hearing the responses.

In what ways is Disneyland superior to the Magic Kingdom at WDW? In what ways is the Magic Kingdom superior to Disneyland?

Topics can be: attractions, land layout, theme, crowds, weather, size, or whatever you can think of. It can even be a personal experience that soured your taste for one of them forever.

Discuss.

(I'm gonna write mine on Word and I'll cut-n-paste later today.)

they're about equal I think, Disneyland has more worthwhile rides to go on I suppose, the Matterhorn and Indy are nice, WDW has expanded a few rides that Disneyland has but Disneyland's Pirates ownz

the only real area were I see a big difference is the Tomorrowland area, WDW's Tomorrowland actualy looks like Tomorrowland, Disneyland's Tomorrowland is too retro and sings of giving up

• the subs were cool maan

Especially when Tomorrowland at Disneyland has 3 rides, for that entire half of the park

In what ways is Disneyland superior to the Magic Kingdom at WDW?

Disneyland has more charm and character in it's little pinky than the WDW has in its entire twice-the size-of-Manhattan-acreage. It's more intimate and more magical. In Disneyland you get more 'streetmosphere' - i.e. Firemen Saxophonists riding down Main Street, Jazz Bands riding around on the Mark Twain. As a Disneyland veteran I was quite disappointed when I visited Magic Kingdom. It was just so commercialized compared to what I was used to (and this was during the Cynthia Harris days!). My God there was even a DVC booth inside the park! Main Street didn't even have cinema at the Magic Kingdom, it was broken down and turned into a generic souvenier stand. Yuck! And don't get me started on MK's POTC, puh-lease.

In what ways is the Magic Kingdom superior to Disneyland?

Magic Kingdom has much more space and less congestion than Disneyland. But in some ways this detracts from the coziness of the MK and makes it less intimate than Disneyland. The space is nice, but at the same time I prefer the meandering walkways of New Orleans Square or the cobblestone steps of our Alpine Fantasyland. (Maybe this should go in the top section ;>)

But of course the Magic Kingdom does have the TTA (Wedway Peoplemover to you and I), and for that I still love it and am visiting it again this December!

• e komo mai

Disneyland
    Better versions of:

Pirates - MK has a weird layout. Don't really care for it. I also don't like their glow in the dark painted talking skull.

Haunted Mansion - Although there are a couple of added things in MK, I like walking into the mansion at DL. MK's HM looks like you're walking in through a side entrance or servant's gate...

Big Thunder - Although MK has the flooded town area, I like the layout of BTM DL.

It's a Small World - I like the fact that it's in its own area. It's not just in a little hut in Fantasyland. It's its own destination set apart from the other dark rides.

Teacups - The pairing of this with Alice makes so much sense.

Space Mountain - Don't care for MK's Matterhornesque loading area.

Pooh - Pooh being in its own area, away from Fantasyland is cute. It's tucked away in a quaint area.

Exclusively at DL:
    Matterhorn
    Original Tiki show
    Mr. Toad
    Indy

WDW's MK
    Better versions of:
    Splash - Side by side seating rocks. The inside of the mountain is brighter and happier.

Jungle Cruise - It seems longer to me, I'm not positive. I also like the inside area to the cruise.

Tom Sawyer Island - Seems bigger than DL's. I like the layout and Polly's cheesy little Inn.

Treehouse - Seems bigger than Tarzan's house. I like the river that runs right next to it.

The castle - Bigger. Ability to eat at Cinderella's Royal Table is a treat.

Exclusively at MK:
    Philharmagic
    Country Bears - Original show. Yay!
    New Tiki show - I like the AA goddess in this show.
    Stitch's Escape - I miss AE already...

A couple of qualifiers:
    1. MK has the better POTC queue.
    2. The best Big Thunder of them all is at Disneyland Paris.
    3. I've only been to WDW once, so my memory could be off.

• Rock Star Minion

I don't find one superior to the other. MK has a great supporting cast, though.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by millionairegirl
    In what ways is Disneyland superior to the Magic Kingdom at WDW?

Disneyland has more 'streetmosphere' - i.e. Firemen Saxophonists riding down Main Street, Jazz Bands riding around on the Mark Twain. As a Disneyland veteran I was quite disappointed when I visited Magic Kingdom. It was just so commercialized compared to what I was used to (and this was during the Cynthia Harris days!).
    Does it really? Seems like all the streetmosphere has disappeared from Disneyland. A lot of them were laid off or have retired. And is it me or do the horse drawn streetcars appear less frequently than in the old days?

• Banned User

DL: orignal park, made small due to land size.... quality of attractions is improving... Thopugh it's TL sucks...

WDW's MK: larger due to more land to build it upon, fantasyyland bad.... but TL has more things when now in the off season...

Overall: Both parks are similar yet unique for their climate and land size....

• "Retired" DL Tour Guide

attraction wise, the only ride I think WDW pulled of better than DL is Splash. I love their animatronics and show sets! Other than that, DL has much better "classics." Pirates & Mansion in WDW are confusing and boring. I dont think their HM has ever had a technical update since it opened in '73!
    -"We can see a new horizon...built on all that we have done..and our dreams begin another thousand circles 'round the sun!"
    -- Epcot: Illuminations "Reflections of Earth"

-"...Each dream that you chase, each wish you embrace can lead to a fabulous faraway place...!"
    --DCA: World Of Color

Quote Originally Posted by AP2CM
    attraction wise, the only ride I think WDW pulled of better than DL is Splash. I love their animatronics and show sets! Other than that, DL has much better "classics." Pirates & Mansion in WDW are confusing and boring. I dont think their HM has ever had a technical update since it opened in '73!
    hey if you check their forum the way they complain about the HM's Audio problems I wonder if their HM has even had a decent refurb at all

Actually I don't think that that's an entirely fair question. I'm heavily involved with Convetions and one of the things that all the Sales reps (WDW and non-WDW) point out is that each property (WDW and non-WDW parks/hotels) is a different product that stands on its own. (Speaking of which, I need to head over to Portofino Bay Hotel.)

David H
    Come on baby light by fire: www.spreadFireFox.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    I don't think we've done this one on MC before, but I'm interested in hearing the responses.

In what ways is Disneyland superior to the Magic Kingdom at WDW? In what ways is the Magic Kingdom superior to Disneyland?

Topics can be: attractions, land layout, theme, crowds, weather, size, or whatever you can think of. It can even be a personal experience that soured your taste for one of them forever.

Discuss.

(I'm gonna write mine on Word and I'll cut-n-paste later today.)

• Senior Minion

MK has Mickey's Philharmagic, DL does not. Although I'm assuming it's going to show up either there or in DCA before another couple of years go by (they built it once, they can build it again).

MK has always seemed "roomier" to me than DL; at the same time, I love the landscaping at DL (more trees) and the cozy feel.

• Minion FOREVER!

Been to DL over 30 times over the years, been to WDW four times

Better at DL

Unique rides (Matterhorn, CartoonSpin, Alice,Mr Toad)
    Better Toontown (more theming)
    Cozy
    Better theming and details thrughout the lands esp Fantasyland
    Better versions of rides (HM,PotC,smallworld, better Space Mountain, maybe?)
    Better theming and details in Main Street. (much improved since CM Matt took over).
    More variety in food (when comparing to MK only, not to the rest of WDW).

Better at MK

Better shows (Philharmagic, Country Bear Jamboree)
    More spacious (No oversize vending)
    Nicer (more kinetic) TL
    Better versions of rides (Splash, WinniethePooh)
    Unique rides (Peoplemover, Stich(IMHO they'll eventually get this right))

Anyway, that's completely my opinion..... your mileage may vary!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Magic Kingdom is Disneyland on steroids.

Although Disneyland has the "it was first" appeal, it makes me cry sometimes to see what Walt's dream here could look like if someone applied some serious cash behind it. Yeah, pieces of the park appear to have aged differently, and some sections could use some attention, but even those parts look like fondly-remembered pieces of Disneyland that have since been torn out or rehabbed several times over, just done better and bigger.

Still, WDW can't say it was personally put together by the man himself, operating on the thinnest of budgets at opening for the first few years, without any real knowledge of success or failure. Every park since DL that uses the hub and the five lands is a sure success.although sometimes not as big a success as the others (a nod to DLP and a possible nod to Hong Kong.)

• șoș Tom șoș

Umm I would love to answer your question but I haver never had the pleasure of WDW. Did Epcot and MGM last time we breezed through. I am at this time accepting sponserships for research trip to Florida so I can give a really juicy analysis, if you think this is a worthwhile venture I can fly out there at your nearest convience...

...and ladies, if you are cute and single, pick up a seat for yourself, grrrr! bad joke don't laugh.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast