Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: This came out today (Stan Lee and Disney)

Why is this dicsussion in the Disneyland Resort forum?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Why is this dicsussion in the Disneyland Resort forum?
    Actually, that's a really good question. I was too busy thinkin' up a brilliant Stan Lee joke to notice...

• Fighter Pilot

obvious it will have to do with merch and future ride tie ins

• Mickeyfan3

Oh no.....Xmen and Spiderman do NOT belong in the parks!!! For that matter, I still don't understand why the Power Rangers have anything to do w/ it either. All cheeseball, dark, not up to Walt's standards.

That being said - I have no problems w/ Star Wars...I think Mr. Disney and George Lucas would have gotten along quite well, and SW is much more imaginative...more fairy tale-ish than spidey & crew.....

At least not at Disneyland...they might fit in at Disney MGM or Cal Adventure maybe (since I still don't feel the Disney love in 70% of that park anyway...)
    Counting the minutes......next trip ??????!!!! (to far away!!!)
    That is current Puppy in Training for Guide Dogs for the Blind, TIKI!!!!
    Hoofprints On the Heart Adaptive Riding Center

• Fighter Pilot

what about pirates that basically just curse (noted in history books) murder then rob you and usually "defile" women?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Alright, guys, you're all getting ahead of yourselves. This offer is for FIRST LOOK with Stan Lee's POW. Which means that whatever Stan Lee creates, whether it's film, media, comics, whatever under the POW company banner, Disney gets the first pass to work with him or not. If Disney passes on the project, Stan can pitch it elsewhere or make it himself.

That's it.

No Spider-Man, No X-Men, No Hulk, No Fantastic Four. No talking, no singing... ZIP.

So while this thread brings a really cool announcement to the table, that's all it is. A cool anouncement. There's no projects to even discuss whether or not they will have theme park presence.

It'll be some time before we see something come of this deal.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Boogers are salty

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeyfan3 View Post
    That being said - I have no problems w/ Star Wars...I think Mr. Disney and George Lucas would have gotten along quite well, and SW is much more imaginative...more fairy tale-ish than spidey & crew.....
    This statement is clearly made by someone with no knowledge of Stans work,there isnt a thing thats not imaginitive about Stans comics, and are you calling episode one imaginative you should really think twice about making such broad sweeping statements.

Quote Originally Posted by 1disneynut2another View Post
    This statement is clearly made by someone with no knowledge of Stans work,there isnt a thing thats not imaginitive about Stans comics, and are you calling episode one imaginative you should really think twice about making such broad sweeping statements.
    Here here, the Marvel Universe is a testament to Stan Lee's imagination!

• Fighter Pilot

what? Spiderman isn't imaginary, he's real

• Closet DLR fan

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Alright, guys, you're all getting ahead of yourselves. This offer is for FIRST LOOK with Stan Lee's POW. Which means that whatever Stan Lee creates, whether it's film, media, comics, whatever under the POW company banner, Disney gets the first pass to work with him or not. If Disney passes on the project, Stan can pitch it elsewhere or make it himself.

That's it.

No Spider-Man, No X-Men, No Hulk, No Fantastic Four. No talking, no singing... ZIP.

So while this thread brings a really cool announcement to the table, that's all it is. A cool anouncement. There's no projects to even discuss whether or not they will have theme park presence.

It'll be some time before we see something come of this deal.

Thank you. This has absolutely nothing to do with what Lee has ever worked on (and I'm not even going to bring up Jack Kirby's contribution to their creations). All of those superheroes are owned by Marvel - Lee did his best work at a time when there was almost no concept of creator-owned work in the comic industry. For pretty much every creator, what you made, the company owned, period. People also conveniently overlook the fact that Lee did his best work thirty years ago, which makes anything he comes up with these days somewhat less exciting. Hello, Stripperella anyone? No thank you.

Back on topic - for me there's a pretty concrete divide between Marvel and Disney, and it comes down to this - the Marvel Universe is our universe. Spidey lives in New York, the Avengers West Coast is our coast, Dr. Doom shed a tear when the WTC fell, the New Warriors blew up a school in Connecticut, Namor lives in our ocean. And for me, even though there really is a New Orleans somewhere else, even though Main Street is a turn-of-the-century American small town analog, the stories and characters that keep me coming back belong to the fairy tales of my childhood and very much represent somewhere else, something other. I certainly can't speak for what Walt would say and I have no intention of trying, but for me? I'm a diehard Marvel zombie and Disneyland is one of my favorite places on the planet, but it doesn't seem particularly appropriate to me to combine them.

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Box Office and DVD sales would reflect your opinion as being the majority one. So what do they need Stan Lee for?
    To compete with Harry Potter.

Marvel is licensed with Universal but we dont know for how long and Stan Lee's charactors appear in Marvels comics but we dont know the extent of his agreement with Universal . Maybe its about to end, HP is a ten year agreement with Universal, if it does well, they pay more, if it doesnt they can bail out on renewing. Maybe Spider Man is about to become a free agent, you never know. And, there is always talk of a 5th gate at WDW and 3rd at DL, maybe its super hero time, and like it was said before, capture that teen audience to cool for the MK. The article I read also said it was a first look deal, that doesnt mean Disney will do anything with everything created, Lee may still have some things used by Universal. Might as well work both sides of town if you can.
    Steve

• Banned User

Stan Lee hasnt had a good idea since 1969

• Fighter Pilot

I like how no matter if you like it or not, it deosn't matter since its a done deal.
    Last edited by AwesomeMan33; 06-07-2007 at 07:05 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123