Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Fighter Pilot

This came out today (Stan Lee and Disney)

I'm sure we have plenty of park upgrades to come due to this little event

Disney Signs First Look Deal with Stan Lee

Source: Walt Disney Studios
    June 6, 2007

The Walt Disney Studios has entered into an exclusive multi-year first look deal with "Spider-Man" creator and producer Stan Lee and his production company POW! Entertainment, it was announced by Dick Cook, chairman, The Walt Disney Studios.

Under the terms of the agreement, Lee and his production company will develop and produce all forms of entertainment.

"As the father of such renowned comic book heroes as Spider-Man, The Hulk, X-Men among others, Stan is considered one of the most creative and inventive forces in the industry today. His innate talent of tapping into the human qualities of his super hero characters has certainly struck a chord with generations of audiences and readers around the world," stated Cook in making the announcement. "We are honored to be working with someone as formidable as Stan and his production company and welcome them to the Disney family."

"It's like the realization of a dream. Ever since I was a young boy, Disney represented the best and most exciting film fare to me. And now, many decades later, with movies such as their incredible Pirates of the Caribbean spectaculars, Disney is still at the forefront of family entertainment, excelling in live action, animation, TV, theme parks -- whatever it takes to bring fun and fantasy to audiences everywhere. I look forward with indescribable enthusiasm to being a part of that world and contributing whatever I can to keep the legend alive and growing," said Stan Lee, chairman of POW! Entertainment.

Oren Aviv, president, Walt Disney Studios Motion Picture Production, added, "Stan Lee is a living legend in the world of pop culture and his characters and stories have been the inspiration for some of Hollywood's biggest blockbusters. We're very excited to be working with him and his talented team in creating some incredible new motion picture experiences. Stan has so many fantastic new ideas for films, and we can't wait to get started."

Bob Chapek, president, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, was instrumental in bringing this deal to Disney and will work closely with Lee on many of his projects.

Chapek said, "Stan is not only loved by fans of the genre, but is one of the most respected and admired figures in the entertainment industry. In fact, it's hard to think of another individual who has created as many memorable and appealing characters. We're thrilled that Stan has decided to make Disney his new home, and feel very fortunate to be collaborating with him on a wide range of new projects for all divisions of our company. His track record is impressive by any measure, and Home Entertainment is sure to benefit from his creations."

Gill Champion, POW! Entertainment, COO says, "There can be no better opportunity to perpetuate the Stan Lee/Pow! brand for all media than to be associated with the Disney Studio. No one better understands the incalculable value and importance of Developing, Producing, Distributing and Marketing new global franchises. We are incredibly impressed with the professionalism and valuable input from the executive and creative talent whom we now so eagerly join."

• My laughing place

Re: This came out today (Stan Lee and Disney)

It might be a good venture for mechandising..just keep Stan Lee out of the parks !!
    Mark

Contribute to my Johari or start your own!!
    http://kevan.org/johari?view=MarkS01

Why keep Stan Lee out of the parks? Hell, why keep Stan Lee out of anything? Stan's the man.

• Boogers are salty

To bad all his classics are already licensed else where, would have been cool to see the Xmen and Spider-man around the park.

Yeah, I wish Universal had done more with the Marvel properties. Outside of the Spider-Man ride, everything else they did was mediocre.

• Boogers are salty

Quote Originally Posted by DsnyFvr View Post
    It might be a good venture for mechandising..just keep Stan Lee out of the parks !!
    Stan is one of the greatest creative minds since Walt, its not like they are talking about bringing current Stan Lee creations to the park, which would be cool, they are talking about totaly new colaborations, beside if George Lucas can bring Star Wars to the parks I say bring on the comic book characters!!

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by 1disneynut2another View Post
    To bad all his classics are already licensed else where, would have been cool to see the Xmen and Spider-man around the park.
    I don't think XMEN and Spiderman are very in keeping with Disney theming and Disney characteres. The only place I can see those characters possibly working is in the Disney-MGM Studios in WDW. And, even then, there is too much direct competion with Universal.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Nice payday for Stan Lee, I suppose. Since the pathway that leads to attractions begins nowadays at the corner of Marketing Street and Box Office Boulevard, it may mean some changes that invole Stan Lee properties inside the berm (which may not, I might add, be altogether undesirable).

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

This is awsome! I certainly would enjoy having Spider-Man, or some of the X-Men walking around the Hollywood Pictures Backlot at DCA.

That aside, it's good that Disney is getting into the business of comic book-type entertainment with Stan Lee. It shows Disney growing into a wider world, and expanding thier image with edginess. For example, they showed edginess with Rockn' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith, then expanded it with Kingdom Hearts, and now continuing by getting together with one of the most talented and creative forces in comic books today. Way to go, Disney!

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    I don't think XMEN and Spiderman are very in keeping with Disney theming and Disney characteres. The only place I can see those characters possibly working is in the Disney-MGM Studios in WDW. And, even then, there is too much direct competion with Universal.
    Direct competion can be a good thing. It will be interesting to see what they do with him and his creations.

Thanks for the info.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Super powered pirates I would guess..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    Direct competion can be a good thing. It will be interesting to see what they do with him and his creations.

Thanks for the info.
    Disney certainly can compete with Universal across from them. I bet they can do A LOT with an Incredible Hulk Special Effects Show for the Disney-MGM Studios. Think of a large Audio-Animatronics Hulk running around.

If you look at it, a coaster really didn't do the Hulk a lot of justice. A special effects spectacular could really bring the Hulk to life if done well.

Stan Lee can only mean good things coming! He is a living Icon in the comic book world and now in the world of films as well.

• Minion FOREVER!

Hmmm.. this annoucement says that the agreement is w/ POW! which is
    Stan Lee's new company. From what I can figure out, there's not much
    there yet from POW!...

Does anyone know if this deal includes the first theme park rights to Marvel superheroes?
    From a explicit reading of this, it doesn't. This sounds like its more of a production/distribution deal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wettham1783 View Post
    Stan Lee can only mean good things coming! He is a living Icon in the comic book world and now in the world of films as well.
    Not to mention he could be a creative consultant for the Imagineers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast