Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Happy Homespun

What would YOU do for the 17th?

If it was up to you, what kind of things would you do to spice up the 17th?
    "To all who come to this happy place, welcome..."

• Official MC Thread Killer

Close the park and only let me and my family in :devil:

.. Kidding of course. I'd add a special fireworks show at closing that would be set of to a catchy "Happy Birthday" theme first and then close with a Disneyland classic, Fantasy in the Sky! Hmm... I like the cupcake and hat idea.. so that would stay. Maybe give out "golden fastpasses" to the people who arrive early which will give them basically an "enhanced fastpass". Anyway, there's so much they can do with this date to make it truly memorable and not just like every other year. TDA better make it special!
    BLOCK - PARTY - BASH
    I'm gonna sing it; from the heart behind these hands

Please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated inside the theater safely

What I would do is give more expensive things other than a hat and cupcake. I would also probably let the first 300 people or so that are waiting in line to actually sleep on Main Street USA if they wanted.Then in the morning when those people wake up or as a wake up call send all of the Disney characters in to wake them up. I would have special photo opportuninties with a character and the castle in the back ground. For all of those that couldn't sleep in the park I would give out something that could pass the time. For example a book of cross word puzzles or something like that (themed as Disney or Disneyland).

I would also have a type of celebration before the park opens. I will have big tvs both inside and outside the park then a film will show (the sound) that tells the history of Disneyland. After the film ends the gates will open to the public. The 300 or so guested that slept in the park will be swept to a breakfast ceremony with Disney characters and Disney management before the gates open.

I would also have some rides opening up on the 17th as well, much like they are doing with Space Mountain (opening on July 15th ). But I would have brand new rides. The 300 or so guests will also be able to ride this/these attractions before anyone else.

I know it sounds like I am giving to much to the first 300 or so guests, but I do want to reward for getting there sooo early.

So any way this is what I would do to make the 17th more special.

• Rock Star Minion

How does one make the Happiest Place on Earth an even more happy place, for just one day?

1. Open at 3AM.
    2. Live bands (actually, more live bands).
    3. Have Julie Andrews and Art Linkletter do meet and greets like what the characters do -- maybe in Mickey's house in ToonTown (it's air conditioned and they're old).
    4. Special merchandise with the date, available only on that date, that you don't have to pay hundreds of dollars for the privilege of buying stuff.
    5. Give away Mickey-50-ears pins.
    6. Happy Birthday singalong at the top of the hour over the loudspeaker by various characters.

Mostly, I hope people showing up on 7/17 aren't expecting too much more than a great day at the park. Asking for more seems a bit selfish.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Exclamation Special Parade/Calvacade...

The only thing I'd like to see Disney do, in addition to what's being planned already, is having a special 50th anniversary calvacade. And I don't mean POD, but a big calvacade that is truly devoted to the 50th anniversary of the Park. Infact, they could even play that wonderful tune they did for Disneyland's 25th anniversary, as well as for Donald Duck's 50th in 1984.

I don't know, just something that will really be special on July 17th! The whole cupcakes and hats are a nifty idea, but I want to see a real celebration that takes place along the whole parade route.

I understand they will have a media event, but unfortunately, that is centered towards the media only. And us guests who go into the Park usually have an awful time seeing what's going on...it's very frustrating! So Disney should do an event that's for the guests in the Park that day, and what better way than to have a special parade/calvacade that represents the actual 50th birthday of Disneyland!

Come on Disney, put together a calvacade that's creative, unique and fun for a once-in-a-life-time event on July 17th, 2005!!

• insufferable know-it-all

I'd plan ahead for the big line up by scheduling some ODV folks, a couple characters, and a band. Make it a party! (Not to mention making money off people who are going to be there anyway by selling them hot chocolate!)

For the 40th there was the time castle ceremony in front of the castle. While I still wonder if that wouldn't have been a better idea for the 50th, it's been done, so they need a new, GOOD ceremony for the occasion, which it sounds like they'll be doing.

I'd like to see the really awesome t-shirts they sold one birthday being sold again: the ones with the picture of Walt, pre-opening, walking through the castle, with the date of the anniversary on the back. I have a similar t-shirt of him checking a workman on main street, but it doesn't have the date - they sold out of those ones before I could get them.

More live music, the partying shouldn't stop all day.

I love the fact that they're going to play the opening day speech at 4:30. Actually, they're already doing far more than they have done for birthdays the last 10 years. Now, it's too bad we can't have a brand new attraction the calibre of Indy opening up, but we've got Buzz and they're giving us back Space, so I guess we'll have to settle for that.

I'd rather NOT see Michael Eisner in the ceremony... he should show up, of course, but I'd rather he not speak. Let Iger do it if need be.

I'd like to see Roy speak, but we all know THAT's not going to happen. How cool would it be if he were in the crowd though?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Official MC Thread Killer

Oh.. and I forgot... I would totally add the 50-Hour party, keeping Disneyland OPEN the whole time
    BLOCK - PARTY - BASH
    I'm gonna sing it; from the heart behind these hands

Please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated inside the theater safely

• white and nerdy

I'd give myself a life pass.

uh, yeah. That's about it... I would actually be lucky to remember, I suck at remembering birthdays.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• e komo mai

They should gave away a car a day for the whole year.

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    They should gave away a car a day for the whole year.
    yeah. to me. :o
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• insufferable know-it-all

Gemini: the Prize Machine! Yeah!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Gemini: the Prize Machine! Yeah!
    wait a sec.... I'm having flashbacks of Disneyland with huge platforms that allow you to spin a wheel or something and win prizes... I think I may have one a copy of Alice in Wonderland that way.... is that what you mean by prize machine....I don't know if I'm remembering for real or if it was one of my childhood imagination stories.

Also something about filling cars with Hula Hoops... Am I crazy?

they should give lifetime passes to the first 50 guests

• Social Imagineer

They should open the park before midnight on July 16 and let thousands upon thousands of guests fill Town Square and Main Street for a midnight fireworks spectacular, at the conclusion of which rows of towering birthday candles are raised atop the Main Street stores on both sides - creating gigantoid candle columns that stretch forty feet into the air and can be seen from practically everywhere in the park. These candles are actually made from huge strands of helium-filled balloons that had been strung across Main Street disguised as party decorations ... but they majestically rise one after the other, left then right then left again, until they all stand majestically over Disneyland as a birthday icon par excellence.

And just as the last candle is raised .... an amazing, vast rainbow of light springs forth from behind Sleeping Beauty Castle, shoots into the air above the Hub and is miraculously met by another vast rainbow of light that has sprung from the Esplanade and over Main Street, U.S.A. Suddenly, there is a wide rainbow, wider than Main Street, stretching over Disneyland in a fantastic arch, with brilliant bands of luminous blue, red, orange, green, yellow and violet made of light ... the light coming from tremendous banks of equipment placed behind Storybookland and out in the Esplanade that blaze this tremendous Rainbow over the Happiest Place on Earth all night long until the light of dawn obliterates it.

In the afternoon of the the big day, July 17, at the proper time, a commemoration ceremony with pomp and circumstance is held in Town Square. Walt's famous welcoming speech is played parkwide, and balloons are released from hiddens caches on the roofs of the Main Street buildings. And then more are released, and more. Waves of green balloons and red, orange balloons and yellow balloons. More and more and more of them. The biggest balloon release in all of human history. And then the confetti cannons go off - - shooting millions of coin-sized, confetti circles into the air. The balloons keep coming: the first ones have reached the edge of sight, and new ones are still pouring out. Confetti is everwhere. And the effect is that of multi-colored circles existing everywhere in the universe, from right in front of your eyes, to all over the rooftops of Main Street, to the skies above Disneyland in every direction and at every distance from nearest near to the farthest far. Moving colored circles, everywhere, filling every space in sight.

WAIT. Strike that.

That's what they did 20 years ago for the 30th birthday.

They've had two decades of technological advances to devise an even more spectacular celebration for an even more important anniversary.

The bar was set high with the festivities I've just described from 1985. Exceeding that feat, or at least meeting its standards of excellence, is the daunting task facing Disneyland this summer. As things now stand, failure on the part of Disneyland seems a certainty ... as cupcakes and hats and little else are not going to measure up.

A wonderful time will be had by all, regardless. But will Disneyland itself step up to the plate? Or will the 50th Birthday go out with a whimper instead of a WOW?

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey's Friend
    What I would do is give more expensive things other than a hat and cupcake. I would also probably let the first 300 people or so that are waiting in line to actually sleep on Main Street USA if they wanted.Then in the morning when those people wake up or as a wake up call send all of the Disney characters in to wake them up. I would have special photo opportuninties with a character and the castle in the back ground. For all of those that couldn't sleep in the park I would give out something that could pass the time. For example a book of cross word puzzles or something like that (themed as Disney or Disneyland).

I would also have a type of celebration before the park opens. I will have big tvs both inside and outside the park then a film will show (the sound) that tells the history of Disneyland. After the film ends the gates will open to the public. The 300 or so guested that slept in the park will be swept to a breakfast ceremony with Disney characters and Disney management before the gates open.

I would also have some rides opening up on the 17th as well, much like they are doing with Space Mountain (opening on July 15th ). But I would have brand new rides. The 300 or so guests will also be able to ride this/these attractions before anyone else.

I know it sounds like I am giving to much to the first 300 or so guests, but I do want to reward for getting there sooo early.

So any way this is what I would do to make the 17th more special.
    I love this idea. However, I think that would send the message to guests that Disney wants them to camp outside of the gates and such... and that isn't what they really want. As magical as it may be ... what if you are guest number 301? :confused: Just trying to put it in perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by innerSpaceman
    The bar was set high with the festivities I've just described from 1985. Exceeding that feat, or at least meeting its standards of excellence, is the daunting task facing Disneyland this summer. As things now stand, failure on the part of Disneyland seems a certainty ... as cupcakes and hats and little else are not going to measure up.

A wonderful time will be had by all, regardless. But will Disneyland itself step up to the plate? Or will the 50th Birthday go out with a whimper instead of a WOW?
    What you described.. wow! I wish I could witness something amazing and magical like this. I know Disney fans are making the trip, coming in the midst of the summer months just for this day.... and getting hardly anything in return. Especially those on the merch. events. I hope Disney can pull a little something together for all of their guests that day. Because I don't know about you... but when I walk through those turnstyles that day, all high on caffeine and adrenaline and the Cast Member greets me, "welcome home" it should be the start of a very unique, amazing, magical Disneyland day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast