Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Yes ... Wicked! ;)

IF the subs ever open back up again ... as a Nemo ride or anyother type of ride ... it won't happen till AFTER the 50th. Like in 2006, to give the guests someting to come back to Disneyland for after the celebration has ended!

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by SpeMarX
    West Edmonton Mall has a wicked Sub ride. It actually is a lot more fun then the Disney version was. For starters, it has real fish and the Subs are real Subs, not well made fakes like Disney's. I'll link yee to the malls website.

http://www.westedmontonmall.com
    At $11 per ride, it should be awsome ........

I'm not sure what I want to replace the subs. There is something positive about not doing Nemo, but they don't have to recast the old molds either. I would prefer to see something new and original, and I'm willing to wait for it.

By new I mean state-of-the-art effects, and by original I mean a storyline that is created from a clean slate ..... no old ride, no Nemo, no Atlantis, no 20KLUTS ....... tell an original story that no obscure game designer or one-time Reader's Digest contributor will end up suing the WDC for copyright infringement ...........
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• e komo mai

I think if you think of this from a corporate standpoint, it'll make sense to you why nothing has been done with the subs in awhile.
    The ride was high maintenance. The ride needs many cast members to run it: sub driver for each sub, three to load you into the sub, three to help you out of the sub, one queue handler and a couple of greeters etc. The partially underwater ride vehicles themselves need to be maintained. (Anyone with a boat would probably agree.) The underwater animals and sets need to be monitored and maintained. (Think of it as one big fish tank. Yes there's chlorine, but I'm sure there's algae and mold and such to contend with.) If anything in the show scenes need repairing, it's an ordeal to fix. (Scuba gear, equipment underwater etc.) Rumor has it that the tunnel had structural problems that was a bear to fix. All of these elements I have mentioned cost money. But the ride capacity of the ride is really low and loading people in and out takes time. Not to mention, ADA, I don't know how this ride deals with wheelchair riders. The corporate orgy that runs Disneyland looks at that and says, 'Gee that's a lot of money and man power for one ride. Should we spend that much? But wait, since the ride closed, the attendance to the park went up. If they're fine with the park with no subs to flock to it anyway, why open it? We'll deal with the Disneyland fan cult via form letters and that'll be it. No biggie.'
    The attraction will not open again unless CM Matt comes up with a brand new idea for the subs, updated effects and basically the formula for a guaranteed hit. Until them, it'll sit and sit. Actually, in its current state, it doesn't look that bad. If they cleaned up the lagoon in areas that people could see from above, it would look like a nice little lake for the 50th. I'd rather not see construction walls and a dry sinkhole during the 50th.
    Ultimately, I'd like to see the subs return with a Nemo theme or something unique alogether with hints of the past attraction here and there.

• Quality not quantity

So the consensus is, no subs for the 50th. OK, I can live with that. I'd rather see it closed in the sake of building something new later on as opposed to a quickie fix to get something up for the 50th.

As an alternative, how about a simple cosmetic overlay? Add a few plants, maybe some ducks. Just spruce it up a bit so that it looks nice for the 50th and does not distract from the ambiance of the park. If you could come up with a nice (but not too expensive) effect or two to give it a tomorrowland feel so much the better. Perhaps Gantoo's ship "crashed" and sticking half out of the water or some of those dancing fountains...

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by Moonliner
    As an alternative, how about a simple cosmetic overlay? Add a few plants, maybe some ducks. Just spruce it up a bit so that it looks nice for the 50th and does not distract from the ambiance of the park.
    Totally. It would not be that expensive to do. Even if they had the subs sitting on their track in the water (with a sign saying 'coming soon' etc.), that would at least be something. Bring back a couple of the freakin' mermaids, waving to guests... something.
    At the very, very least they should at least get rid of the garbage floating in the water.

• It's all nonsense

I think they should put some modified motorboat cruise boats on that track that let people cruise around those caves.

bottom line...they need to do something with that space. it's such a waste to have it doing nothing.

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter
    I think they should put some modified motorboat cruise boats on that track that let people cruise around those caves.
    The problem with that is that above water, the caves are just warehouse space. There's nothing to see... they'd have to theme it and that's $$$.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonliner
    As an alternative, how about a simple cosmetic overlay? Add a few plants, maybe some ducks. Just spruce it up a bit so that it looks nice for the 50th and does not distract from the ambiance of the park. If you could come up with a nice (but not too expensive) effect or two to give it a tomorrowland feel so much the better. Perhaps Gantoo's ship "crashed" and sticking half out of the water or some of those dancing fountains...

I love the idea of doing some cosmetic to the lagoon during the 50th!! Something to draw away for the emptiness. Defitnely a good idea.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Magical Memories fanzine

I read somewhere on another site an idea I liked, but would still cost some money to make safe; drain the lagoon, and just for the 50th have a guided tour walk through of how the ride used to be but in the dry lagoon. So that way you appease subs fans to a certain degree; they get to say one final goodbye, and they get to see it from a unique perspective, and even those that didnt like the subs would find it interesting. It wouldnt take a LOT of money and would make another attraction to absorb the 50th crowds. Plus it would be great advertising for the new Nemo/whatever subs ride idea they could put a display at the end of the tour something that gives a little sample of what the new ride will be like to pump people up. Heck they could probably even get away with charging a modest fee, say $10 to take the tour so it would pay for itself. And they could make some quickie merchandise like postcards of the tour and put up a small gift shop that has the only subs related merchandise in the park. Imagine a photo opportunity of being able to take of photo of yourself by the silly sea serpent, or giant squid.

• /sigh

What if they put in a sincranized swimmer/little mermaid show? Or put in remote controlled minature sail boats and motor boats that you could race around the lagoon?
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Banned User

How about taking all the subs they have and park them in the lagoon for people to see on May 5th and say coming 2007? The fans would love that and they wouldn't have to build anything until then.
    It would definately help with the atmosphere in the area. At least the area wouldn't look totally dead.
    Last edited by Disneyfreak; 02-07-2005 at 11:13 AM.

• the subs were cool maan

I like that. Maybe they could even have them continuously running around thru the lagoon. But if it was like that I bet you would want to ride them even more.

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by mp3piratesavvy
    I like that. Maybe they could even have them continuously running around thru the lagoon. But if it was like that I bet you would want to ride them even more.
    It would be like they were taunting us.

Personally, I'm all for the forthcoming Nemo Project - it has been billed as the Park's next "E" ticket & after such a hiatus on Big new WOW factor rides at DL, I'm happy for even just a "D" standard ride.

In saying that, it is simply not logical to bring back the old subs for a short stint and nor would it be impressive. The addition of Buzz together with the return of Space & a "freshened" paint scheme for Tomorrowland will breath enough life back into the area until Nemo comes along once the 50th is over with

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey_D
    Personally, I'm all for the forthcoming Nemo Project - it has been billed as the Park's next "E" ticket & after such a hiatus on Big new WOW factor rides at DL, I'm happy for even just a "D" standard ride.

In saying that, it is simply not logical to bring back the old subs for a short stint and nor would it be impressive. The addition of Buzz together with the return of Space & a "freshened" paint scheme for Tomorrowland will breath enough life back into the area until Nemo comes along once the 50th is over with
    very true,

like I've said it'd be a total waste to bring the subs back as are and it'd be just as big a waste to spend all that energy (and gas?) running those subs in circles all day long (and you'd still have to maintain them, they require drivers don't they? what if one derails you could destroy that entire building, and then Autopia would cave into it )

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast