Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Know More Than You Should

It must be said, this whole Disneyland Pixarland thing is getting silly. A Nemo ride, as good a ride as it might be, doesn't have anything to do with the Tommorowland motif. This is just as A Bugs Land has nothing to do with the California Adventure theme (must...stay..on...topic....must..not..talk..about ..California...Adventure...). I even hear tell their thinking about renaming Autopia, Cars. The fact is, the submarines have a following of their own, without Nemo, and the reinstating of the ride, just as the reinstating of the old color theme (thank god) would make a lot of people feel better about shelling out $50 per person.

• Santa Barbara, CA

OK..here's the perfect chapter to recall for the 50th.

How about doing a Sub ride where you get a tour of all the "underwater" stock options held by all of the Disney executives for the last 5 years and the "graveyard of lost lawsuits" stronghold of sunken profits? The climax comes when that Captain can't believe he found the sea snake Mike Ovitz! Call it "Finding Ovitz". THAT would draw a huge crowd :devil:
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Know More Than You Should

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    OK..here's the perfect chapter to recall for the 50th.

How about doing a Sub ride where you get a tour of all the "underwater" stock options held by all of the Disney executives for the last 5 years and the "graveyard of lost lawsuits" stronghold of sunken profits? The climax comes when that Captain can't believe he found the sea snake Mike Ovitz! Call it "Finding Ovitz". THAT would draw a huge crowd :devil:
    Fabulous, now THAT I would ride!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tigertail777
    I read somewhere on another site an idea I liked, but would still cost some money to make safe; drain the lagoon, and just for the 50th have a guided tour walk through of how the ride used to be but in the dry lagoon. So that way you appease subs fans to a certain degree; they get to say one final goodbye, and they get to see it from a unique perspective, and even those that didnt like the subs would find it interesting. It wouldnt take a LOT of money and would make another attraction to absorb the 50th crowds. Plus it would be great advertising for the new Nemo/whatever subs ride idea they could put a display at the end of the tour something that gives a little sample of what the new ride will be like to pump people up. Heck they could probably even get away with charging a modest fee, say $10 to take the tour so it would pay for itself. And they could make some quickie merchandise like postcards of the tour and put up a small gift shop that has the only subs related merchandise in the park. Imagine a photo opportunity of being able to take of photo of yourself by the silly sea serpent, or giant squid.
    Yes, I think that may have been my idea, or at least I suggested something quite similar... I've been off the boards for a while, but I recently heard that the Haunted tour was popular enough to come back. I would certainly think they could do the same in the old lagoon with a minimum of work.

The key concepts are 1) showing respect to Disneyland fans who have been anxious about that lagoon for many years now, and 2) creating a buzz for the new attraction that will make a home in that lagoon. And yes, to help support part 2, crunch the numbers so that the price of the tour generates a profit. yes, you're not likely to pay for a brand new E ticket just from tour revenue, but you're actually making SOME kind of profit from what would otherwise be one big, dead piece of real estate. on top of that, as mentioned, it'd absorb crowds from other areas of the park, remind TDA of the kinds of attractions that are required of a park using FastPass, and really create some lasting ooh-aah factor for Tomorrowland. After all, pictures of the drained lagoons here and at WDW show how colorfully things were actually painted...

Heck, for a fraction of the price of a new e ticket, you could divert Autopia from the bridge and go into the drained lagoon. You could do so much with that concept, even if it didn't include the original fleet of subs. But Nemo is really just a waste. New technologies, new materials, new ride vehicles... so much could be done to maintain the spirit of the original Subs and update it for a new era. Why settle for an underwater Pooh??? Why should Disneyland, created by a man Ray Bradbury once characterized as an Optimistic Futurist, ever give up on Tomorrowland??? It's a sin and a shame, and turning one of the four original lands into some pale, bland mockery of itself would be akin to bulldozing Sleeping Beauty Castle.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    *cough* Discoveryland *cough*

*cough* comprised of Nemo, Matterhorn, Autiopa and Aquatopia (in the motorboat cruise) *cough*

*cough* transition between fantasyland and tomorrowland *cough*

hmm, sounds like you're coming down with a nasty cold, you ok?
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

Quote Originally Posted by Orcatime
    hmm, sounds like you're coming down with a nasty cold, you ok?
    I will be once they build *cough*discoveryland*cough*

• Doing it with a flair

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    How about taking all the subs they have and park them in the lagoon for people to see on May 5th and say coming 2007? The fans would love that and they wouldn't have to build anything until then.
    It would definately help with the atmosphere in the area. At least the area wouldn't look totally dead.
    If I saw that I think I might either faint or shed a few tears of joy. Is that weird? The subs were one of my favorite rides as a kid.
    Eglantine, Eglantine, oh how you shine!
    I don't believe in giving animals ridiculous names. I call him Cosmic Creepers...
    ...and if you've got no other choice, you know you can follow my voice...

• Sock Puppet

Whether it would be functional or not, a little bit of themeing in the lagoon would be great for the 50th. Until they get that Nemo stuff finalized and underway, are we going to have to look at that mess of lagoon? When it is bright sunlight, aka honest, you can see just exactly how terrible that place looks! It would really use a face lift even if it is only skin deep.

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)
    I like the idea of just having mermaids sunbathing on the lagoon rocks like iSm said they had 15 years ago.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• This Maid Loves it!!

I love classics...the submarines get my vote!!
    'When hinges creek in doorless chambers..and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls..whenever candlelights flicker..where the air is deathly still..That is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.'

*Space Mountain re-launches July 15 2005*

^V^ "I Make Ride Go!" ^V^

• Que que no-tu-rah.

I don't really like the idea of a Finding Nemo attraction in Tomorrowland. What does that world have to do with the future anyway? It's more Fantasyland than Tomorrowland. The subs work much better as a 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea attraction. But since that film isn't widely known with today's audiences I can understand wanting to re-theme it. To my mind though a non-movie re-theming would have been a better solution. Why does everything have to be based on a movie anyway?

But all in all, I'm just glad that the subs look like they are coming back. I feel it's in a compromised fashion, but the subs are such a unique attraction idea that I'm willing to ignore my distaste for the opprotunity to experience them. I'm still holding out hope though that someday (say 10 years or so) the Nemo overlay will be dropped for a more appropriate theme for Tomorrowland.
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

• Hero-in-Training

I'm pleased as punch that the subs are coming back, naturally, but I'd agree that the theming doesn't seem right. If the subs don't fit into the World of Tomorrow, we can at least give it something of a visually exciting adventure/fantasy/science fiction theme. I think the 20,000 Leagues works really well...if they use the book rather than the film, the ride can be timeless. I'm also pulling for the Atlantis theme - that movie was lacking in characters and story but provided really strong visuals, music and environment - absolutely perfect for a strongly experiential ride.

• 6 kids before I'm 30!!!!

I agree as well.. that at least theyre bring that ride back but the finding nemo over lay..ummm no comment. Another victim of Pixarland..but My suggestion wouldve been a Journey to Atlantis ride.. make the sub actually look like those flying machines in the movie and have them travel to atlantis.. a city beyond our futre.. ya know.. oh well..but who will listen to me..ahhhaha ok thats my .02 cents..
    We rock the party that rocks the party!
    We are truly a new generation of the Brady Bunch!

• Hero-in-Training

"A city beyond our future" is a good way to look at it. The rest of Tomorrowland is a very traditional view of the future - everything is plastic and turned out in droves by factories. This is great, but an alternate view of the future could be great as well - a strongly culturally based and artistically based future, where art and form and sculpture is just as important as the technology contained therein.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ascendant
    "A city beyond our future" is a good way to look at it. The rest of Tomorrowland is a very traditional view of the future - everything is plastic and turned out in droves by factories. This is great, but an alternate view of the future could be great as well - a strongly culturally based and artistically based future, where art and form and sculpture is just as important as the technology contained therein.
    See, that's where the old Horizons SeaScape idea is ripe for renewal. For one thing, a sub touring the underwater portion of a floating city could remain wet-for-wet but allow for AAs to be inside the city and thus in dry environments. For another, you can continue the Sub Voyage pronciples for combining scenic environs and an action/danger element. Instead of undersea earthquakes and monsters, you can contend with other subs on a collision course, underwater construction sites collapsing, and who knows what else. But of course, that's just part of the overall show. they key is that you're not just designing a future where people work, or only visit. You're creating where people live. What will their art look like? What music will they listen to? What clothes will they wear? what new idioms and slang will they use, or will they even speak a language known today? That's the kind of futurism we haven't really seen in Tomorrowland since the House of the Future. Innoventions supposedly tries, but it's so tied to what has developed in the recent past that it avoids futurism. TL 98 was all about avoiding futurism. Judging by how ugly and unpopular that turned out, hopefully people who get to work on rides like the subs will go the opposite direction.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast