Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 63
  1. #1

    • the subs were cool maan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    397

    Find Nemo or Submarine Voyage?

    Ok, so if Eisner is Eisner and doesnt want to spend 5 bucks to earn 10 bucks, and they dont do the nemo thing, will they just reopen the old ride? for the 50th?

  2. #2

    • Jerm is Food...Not Friend
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    About 5 min from where the Magic really started
    Posts
    911
    Nope Subs will never come back the way it was due to lossing some of the molds for the fish and such years ago. I would also not expect to see the subs open for atleast the next 21 months or so (not during the 50th). But I did hear from a little bird you may want to keep a eye out for some water level change oh say around March or so with no word till much later on........and remember who told you that;-)

    J
    Kungaloosh!

    *END OF LINE*

  3. #3

    • the subs were cool maan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    397
    Cant they just make new ones? I mean, it will cost $10 to do so, so they WONT, but couldnt they?

    And how many times did they have to make new fish? Couldnt they make a mold out of an existing fish in the lagoon?

    Couldnt they just re-start the ride as it is now? All of the pieces and scenery are still intact. If they started now, they could have the ride ready to re-start by the 50th, then close it down for a few years until they want to extensivly re-furbish it

  4. #4

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,889
    water is the ultimate solvent, the ride would look horrid now all the scenes would be eaten away from all the time spent in the water, it would look horrid and I don't think the upkeep in the subs is much better

    the ride as it was, wasn't very impressive it would only annoy people that the new ride that has opend isn't anything new and looks like something from the 60's

    from what we've been hearing I'd assume the Subs Project is actualy still going on rather well but that they don't want any construction taking place durring the 50th so we arn't looking at construction until after the 50th has ended

    also the Subs were never planned to be a new attraction by the 50th the opening date looked at was always 2007 I believe (even if they'd started this year)

    I don't think it'll be a simple overlay but in fact they'll have the show scenes outside the water and they'll be using a dry for wet effect similar to what Tokyo uses

  5. #5

    • the subs were cool maan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    397
    Sure it wouldnt be 21 century, but this is what they should do

    The week before May 5th, close the park.
    Start draining the lagoon as soon as saturday hits, close the park from Sunday-Saturday, the week before may 5th, and refurbish the Submarine Voyage. If they spent a whole week on it, I bet they could just refurbish the ride, to bring it back to how it looked in the last couple of years it was still open. Then re-open it on May 5th and Suprise EVERYBODY.

    If they had subs in the water on the 50th anniversery, it would be a much better highlight then "we re-did a ride" and "we built a unfuturistic dark ride in Tomorrowland!"

  6. #6

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,889
    well Space refurb looks pretty neat and I would've been happy with Space just reopening so

    and Buzz looks like a pretty futuristic darkride to me, it mostly focases on the Sci Fi aspects of the character with him being the "Buzz Lightyear Of Star Command" character rather then the one from Toy Story the only real thing is that the ride will be a bit childish I suppose? looks pretty fun to me though


    refurbishing the Subs back to how they looked durring their last few years of operation is more work then what it may sound like, it would be hideously expensive especialy since they'll be tearing out all the old stuff after the 50th anyways

    most people that arn't huge Disney Freaks would mostly go there and if they even remebered the ride would be like "I liked that? " or they'd wonder why Disney put in such an unimpressive new ride

    I think there's more to the remolding too then what it sounds like, it would take tons of artists and engineers to study whatever's left of the old props and then try to create new molds and such for them

    if I recall right the Subs closed mostly due to maintenance costing to much, why would it suddenly change to being a super cheap thing that they could do in a week?

  7. #7

    • the subs were cool maan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    397
    It wouldnt be cheap. Nothing is cheap. If the park can STAY IN BUSINESS with these rides open, obviously it isnt too expensive to run. If they think its too expensive to run and they close it, Why are we still paying for it with the tickets?

    If Disneyland went back to its Ticket book system, they wouldn't have closed the Subs because they have always been popular, despite the obsolete show effects. Its not "Hey that fish is connected to that rock", its more of the experiance of going in a relitively realistic submarine, seeing things out of the porthole, and knowing you could do it only at Disneyland (unless you go to Hawaii and go on one of those Atlantis submarine tours, and IM sure those arent too expensive to run)

    But the new management knows that you have to spend a nickel to make a dime, not a penny to make a quarter. Thats where the old management went wrong.

    If they re-opened the subs with show effects that were adequate, it would make tomorrowland have more then four rides, considering it takes up about half of the space Disneyland sits on

  8. #8

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,889
    now we're entering another relm of quality, it's not always how much $$$ you spend on doing something time counts too and how well you think things out

    suddenly I'm reminded of an episode of the simpsons

    Homer: "look marge we can do this the right way or the fast way"
    Marge: "well like any american I'd perfer fast"
    Homer: (lights fireworks in the drawer and blows it loose)



    yes you have to spend money to make money and the bigger the risk generaly the bigger the reward (as the coin gambling slogan goes in one game I played once "you could win big or loose it all")

    anywho opening the subs as are now would be a total waste of money as it would do nothing for them and many people would find it stupid that the ride was closed for so long only to reopen as the same old crummy looking thing and other people would wonder why the newest ride is so ancient looking

    the best thing Disney can do at this point is save their money and make a very good and well thought out redo of the sub ride that upgrades almost every part of the attraction with new effects inside the subs new effects outside the sub and impressive AA's

    Disney has set a precident of one uping itself, everything that has gone out is to be replaced with somethign that much better, if Disney doesn't live up to that then what do we have?

    Pooh...

  9. #9

    • the subs were cool maan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    397
    Still, they should have done that with the mistakes of Tomorrowland '98
    If they could have simply NOT closed down the ride, kept the normal maintainance they normally would have, it would be adequate

    Plus, if people were so concerned about how realistic the Submarine Voyage was, it would be very quiet in the que area

    HOWEVER, there was ALWAYS a long line there, no matter what time of day. Its just one more ride that could be that ISNT as of now. They should refurbish the ride to its pre-'98 state, and re-open it promptly. THen after the 50th celebrations happen, close it down again and what they didnt do before, add in. This way they will have something to advertise for the big 50th hangover

  10. #10

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,889
    actualy it was open after the 98 refurb but closed shortly after

    the 98 refurb is in the past they can't fix the plethora of mistakes they made back thin, in retrospect alot of TL98 was a mistake

    you realize also that the Subs were very attractive to look at and had low capacity which helped create a long line for it


    the Subs will be viewed in a different light as a new attraction, people wont be excited that an old attraction came back they'll just wonder what the heck was Disney was thinking. the Subs never made people go to the parks anyways (it really is something that people remeber better in their memories)

    they're going to put in something much better and having patence is the key

    now I just hope those new effects in Space were worth the wait


    if you miss the Subs download a video of it that's what I did

  11. #11

    • the subs were cool maan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    actualy it was open after the 98 refurb but closed shortly after

    the 98 refurb is in the past they can't fix the plethora of mistakes they made back thin, in retrospect alot of TL98 was a mistake

    you realize also that the Subs were very attractive to look at and had low capacity which helped create a long line for it

    the Subs will be viewed in a different light as a new attraction, people wont be excited that an old attraction came back they'll just wonder what the heck was Disney was thinking. the Subs never made people go to the parks anyways (it really is something that people remeber better in their memories)

    they're going to put in something much better and having patence is the key

    now I just hope those new effects in Space were worth the wait


    if you miss the Subs download a video of it that's what I did
    While that is true, I think that they should justify the mistakes and re-start the ride. But there are a lot of people who do miss the submarines. If they saw an advertisement about the submarines re-opening, they would bethere in a heartbeat, because people are nostalgic and will want to ride them again. Sure, it wouldnt create the press that a New ride would normally do, but it would be a temporary thing-just for the 50th. THen afterwards, they can put the overlay's and such. To think that the two centerpieces of the anniversery take place in Tomorrowland, there will still be plenty of people wondering "Hmm, what are all of those empty tracks and empty lagoons there for? Hey I remember! There used to be peoplemovers/rocket rods going on those tracks. And over there! I remember when they had submarines running there. They sure have been closed for a while now"

    Despite the opening of buzz and re-opening of Space Mountain, Tomorrowland desporatly needs the return of the Subs BEFORE the 50th anniversery

  12. #12

    • Tour Ready
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    243
    I remember backaround 1999 or 2000 the Sea Serpents as well as Mermaids and other mechanical Sea Creatures sitting out on shelves by the mechanical animation building backstage by the float warehouse... (They were next to the tiki room entrance canopy that collapsed and Indiana Jones's Giant Snake. I know they took alot of damaged pieces out and many of us cast members who worked on the new Autopia were able to fish out small pieces that were floating on the surface like seaweed and tethered fish that had broken loose. We even had a good sized fish Displayed in our maintenance/break room!

  13. #13

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,889
    Quote Originally Posted by WDI33
    I remember backaround 1999 or 2000 the Sea Serpents as well as Mermaids and other mechanical Sea Creatures sitting out on shelves by the mechanical animation building backstage by the float warehouse... (They were next to the tiki room entrance canopy that collapsed and Indiana Jones's Giant Snake. I know they took alot of damaged pieces out and many of us cast members who worked on the new Autopia were able to fish out small pieces that were floating on the surface like seaweed and tethered fish that had broken loose. We even had a good sized fish Displayed in our maintenance/break room!
    yeah, I'd figured that with all these years the opportunity to bring back the subs ride had both come and gone

  14. #14

    • the subs were cool maan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    397
    ITs not that, its that the previous management tryed, but decided not to bring back the subs when they found out how much it would have cost. But the newer managment knows that you gotta spend money to make money.
    Even if the subs were back by the 50th, it wouldnt save tomorrowland. But it would fill in a empty space with more entertainment potential then just a lagoon that you stare at reministing the old days while waiting for the monorail (two of four) get back to the station.

    Oh and I did d/l a video from the subs, AND I have a DVD all about them from www.extinct-attractions-club.com .

    But it just isnt the same

  15. #15

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Alberta, Canada.
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by mp3piratesavvy
    It wouldnt be cheap. Nothing is cheap. If the park can STAY IN BUSINESS with these rides open, obviously it isnt too expensive to run. If they think its too expensive to run and they close it, Why are we still paying for it with the tickets?

    If Disneyland went back to its Ticket book system, they wouldn't have closed the Subs because they have always been popular, despite the obsolete show effects. Its not "Hey that fish is connected to that rock", its more of the experiance of going in a relitively realistic submarine, seeing things out of the porthole, and knowing you could do it only at Disneyland (unless you go to Hawaii and go on one of those Atlantis submarine tours, and IM sure those arent too expensive to run)

    But the new management knows that you have to spend a nickel to make a dime, not a penny to make a quarter. Thats where the old management went wrong.

    If they re-opened the subs with show effects that were adequate, it would make tomorrowland have more then four rides, considering it takes up about half of the space Disneyland sits on
    West Edmonton Mall has a wicked Sub ride. It actually is a lot more fun then the Disney version was. For starters, it has real fish and the Subs are real Subs, not well made fakes like Disney's. I'll link yee to the malls website.

    http://www.westedmontonmall.com

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
    By spookyatomicking in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-07-2008, 04:15 PM
  2. Old Submarine Voyage or Finding Nemo?
    By Maverick in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 12:25 PM
  3. Will Anyone Really Find Nemo @ Submarine Voyage?
    By Opus1guy in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-06-2007, 08:28 AM
  4. Finding Nemo or Submarine Voyage?
    By Disneyfreak in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-03-2006, 01:02 AM
  5. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage....
    By Maseca in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-30-2005, 02:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •