Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: Why No Mickey Mouse Attraction?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Does anyone remember in Tomorrowland near where BLAB is now, there was a bank of phones across from which was a big mural painted with the major characters with a number next to their name? And you would dial the number and listen to Mickey talk, or Donald, or whoever?

I used to LOVE that when I was a little guy!
    Now that you mention it, yes, I do remember that! Part of the Bell Telephone exhibit that served as pre-show for the older version of America the Beautiful, wasn't it?

• Minion

Mickey Mouse Club Theatre
    Mouseketeer 3-D Jamboree
    Mickey Mouse Club Circus
    The Mickey Mouse Revue
    Main Street Cinema
    Mickey's Toontown
    Mickey's House
    Minnie's House
    Mickey's Philharmagic
    Fantasmic!
    ...and a number of Parades

And lots of "almost" attractions, like the Mickey sideshow at the aborted Dumbo's Circus land.

But I agree that it would be cool to have a dark ride based on Mickey and the Beanstalk or Sorcerer's Apprentice or something like that.

• the rum is always gone

obviously there are shows/attractions/parades that Mickey is in. However, there is no RIDE that is mickey themed. Here is why:
    Mickey is the central figure of the park. When you think 'Disney' you think 'Mickey'. Mickey stands for everything: Adventure, fantasy, the future, hope, prosperity, love, etc. Almost every positive values is associated with Mickey. It is this very reason that Mickey is held in such high regard. Mickey is Disney.
    Because of Mickey's high level of significance, he does not have an ride. If he did, it would have to be the best ride in the park. It would have to be everyone's favorite ride. It would have to incorporate all the principles and values Mickey stands for. Making a Mickey ride would set the bar incredibly high for imagineers. The ride would have to be the best ride they ever would make in the history and future of Disney Parks. Here is why: If the ride was not as favorable as another one, or it was replaced by a new, better attraction, all the values Mickey stands for would be destroyed. Essentially, building a ride based on Mickey would destroy him as the central figure of Disneyland.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Now that you mention it, yes, I do remember that! Part of the Bell Telephone exhibit that served as pre-show for the older version of America the Beautiful, wasn't it?
    I can't say that I remember it being part of the America the Beautiful preshow. I want to say it was an entirely stand-alone exhibit in the area close to and going inside of the building where the BLAB fastpass machines are now.

The old version, BTW, was America the Beautiful which was later replaced by American Journeys and later by Wonders of China -- which ran concurrently with American Journeys.

• a wind to shake the stars

Quote Originally Posted by notlemc View Post
    obviously there are shows/attractions/parades that Mickey is in. However, there is no RIDE that is mickey themed. Here is why:
    Mickey is the central figure of the park. When you think 'Disney' you think 'Mickey'. Mickey stands for everything: Adventure, fantasy, the future, hope, prosperity, love, etc. Almost every positive values is associated with Mickey. It is this very reason that Mickey is held in such high regard. Mickey is Disney.
    Because of Mickey's high level of significance, he does not have an ride. If he did, it would have to be the best ride in the park. It would have to be everyone's favorite ride. It would have to incorporate all the principles and values Mickey stands for. Making a Mickey ride would set the bar incredibly high for imagineers. The ride would have to be the best ride they ever would make in the history and future of Disney Parks. Here is why: If the ride was not as favorable as another one, or it was replaced by a new, better attraction, all the values Mickey stands for would be destroyed. Essentially, building a ride based on Mickey would destroy him as the central figure of Disneyland.

I agree (somewhat) with this. I don't believe that it would hurt Mickey's "values" per se (Mickey used to be a smoker, remember!) but it's probably just because Mickey is kind of the whole park (hidden mickeys, not-so-hidden mickeys like in the fireworks or the floral display out front, him as the finale of every parade, etc.) and to put him in a ride would kind of marginalize him, I guess. I don't really care either way and a good Mickey dark ride in Toontown would be amazing but I can see why there isn't one.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I can't say that I remember it being part of the America the Beautiful preshow. I want to say it was an entirely stand-alone exhibit in the area close to and going inside of the building where the BLAB fastpass machines are now.

The old version, BTW, was America the Beautiful which was later replaced by American Journeys and later by Wonders of China -- which ran concurrently with American Journeys.
    Here you are, Presume: http://sorcerersworkshop.org/americaphones.shtml

Best of all, they've got mp3 files of the telephone messages. Here's the Mickey Mouse one: http://sorcerersworkshop.org/sounds/...honemickey.mp3

The mural and phones you describe were indeed in the lobby of the old America the Beautiful building. (By the "old" one I mean the black and white one in the original Tomorrowland. The lobby and preshow were completely different for the 1967 TL, which I'm sure you remember, and at one point they redid the film in color, but it was still called America the Beautiful.)

Edited to add: oops, the source says 1974, so I guess the old lobby and phones overlapped into the New Tomorrowland for a time.
    Last edited by HBG2; 06-09-2007 at 09:33 PM. Reason: oops

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SciFi96 View Post
    I wasn't aware people followed traffic laws in Southern California.
    Obviously you are confusing it with New York City.

Home of the honk rule.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach View Post
    You need to go back to Toontown and see Mickey's house, It's an attraction.
    Thank you. I was going to mention this.....

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

like someone else said his house is an attraction
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• Minion

i want mickey to have an attraction but he certainly doesnt need one.
    who doesnt recognize mickey?? countless pins, tees, jackets, and souveniers are of him and after him. He hasnt starred in the latest pixar movie and his movies havnt really made it outside of VHS christmas carol tapes (dont get mad at me if there are alot of tapes and whatnot), He has a show on disney channel too! haha

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

I would say (like in another thread) Build an attraction after you meet with Mickey. Minnie gets kidnapped by Pete. Pete has been jumping through all of Mickey's movies and shorts he has been in and Mickey has to follow him through these scenes (Steam Boat Willie etc.) to get Minnie back. The que would go through Mickey and Minnie's house so that you actually get three attractions in one. The children would have fun playing with all the things you get to do in both houses so that they don't get bored and complain etc. Mickey would be in his area of his house while everyone is waiting in line for a photo op. Aswell as Minnie in her house. I think it would be a fun little attraction for the whole family.

• Koubu Pilot

Something just came to mind. What if they used Mickey Mania or Magical Quest for a Mickey ride? Mickey Mania was a beautiful Super Nintendo game where you play as Mickey in a platform style game. The stages are inspired by several of Mickey's cartoons (a colorizing Steamboat Willie stage, The Mad Doctor, The Moose Hunters, Mickey and the Beanstalk, and Prince and the Pauper). It was one of the most beautiful games on the SNES. [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBatOAdTIxQ[/YOUTUBE]

Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse was a pretty good one. Mickey must traverse through a large briar patch, a creepy forest, a fire cavern, up a mountain, a glacier, and through Emperor Pete's Castle to rescue Pluto. What was different is you used 3 additional costumes (wizard, fireman, and mountain climber) to overcome obstacles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12