Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Using the Nemo "Observation Outpost" under false pretenses.

I was reading an article in my local paper today about the new "Observation Outpost" i.e. theater that has been built to accomodate wheelchairs, and also includes benches for people are clausterphobic.
    There is a 61-inch plasma screen that shows the undersea voyage in high -definition.

I am sure that at some point, there will be someone who is neither a clausterphobic, nor uses a wheelchair, but does have a horrendous case of Disneylandphilia (one who knows everything about, and who has done everything at Disneyland), who simply must see what the view is like from inside the Observation Outpost.

What are your thoughts about using the Observation Outpost under the pretense of clausterphobia, just so one can say they have "been there, done that"?
    Last edited by Villains Fan; 06-11-2007 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Thread type tag added
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Re: Using the Nemo "Observation Outpost" under false pretenses.

I don't think any pretense is necessary. The hosts and hostesses at the Submarine Voyage will probably accommodate any request, and none of them will ever ask you to describe medical conditions.

I don't see this as being a problem. It's just an alternate way to see the attraction, and I really doubt that huge hordes of non-claustrophobic/non-handicapped folks will be crowding out those who really can't see the ride any other way. I could ride the subs easily enough but I wouldn't mind seeing it from the Observation Outpost, either, just to see how that is set up and to see whether I missed anything from the sub!

SeaWorld has a similar thing set up for their arctic exhibit. You are supposed to get on a StarTours-type simulator to take your "flight" to the arctic, but if you don't want to do that you can take the version where you just stand in a room and watch the same film. That room was all but empty when I was there but the line for the simulators was a mile long. It will no doubt be the same for Nemo.

Anyone else here who can/could ride the subs but is also planning to experience the attraction in the Observation Outpost as well? Do you think it will cause a problem?
    okerry

• See you there!

I dont really see this as a potential problem, unless the Observation Outpost becomes more popular than the actual ride.
    Then maybe they will just scrap the subs and build more rooms like this

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy
    Last edited by CUatDL; 06-11-2007 at 07:33 AM.
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

On my list of two million potential things that could go wrong at Disneyland, this would be somewhere in the second million.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Gay Man

OMG! Put them in Disney Jail!

• In Technicolor!

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid View Post
    OMG! Put them in Disney Jail! DCA!!
    Fixed that for you.
    These are the games that never end.

• Hiding in the shadows

I am actually curious to see what its like from in that room, but I doubt I would ever wait in line to go there instead of on the ride. However once all the hype dies down and the wait is less, I may ask and see what happens. If my MIL comes with us to the park then we have just reason to watch it from the room. But I am sure on a regular day, if the room isnt full, since everyone still waits in the same line the CMs woudl allow you to watch from the room.

A little piece of heaven

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

If the line is the same for the Observation Room, as it is for the ride itself, I don't see a real "abuse" problem. What would a "false pretense" in this case be? The room is merely an accomodation for the disabled, not an exclusive attraction just for those with medical conditions. I'm sure I'll check it out at some point, when wait times dwindle.

• Animatronic

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    There is a 61-inch plasma screen that shows the undersea voyage in high -definition.
    Not to veer off topic, but plasma is an odd choice. Plasma screens have poor black level during motion, a short life, and suffer serious burn in. Now that LCD has high response times and good contrast, plasma is being phased out by most manufacturers. Having seem them with burned in images at trade shows, I would never get one for constant use.

I did read on another site that the Observation Outpost can only accomodate two wheelchairs plus six people sitting on benches - that's only eight at one time! I'll bet they're going to wish they'd made the room larger - the room I mentioned above at SeaWorld held many more than that, probably 50-100 people at a time including wheelchairs. I guess I thought that's what this was going to be.
    okerry

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Not to veer off topic, but plasma is an odd choice. Plasma screens have poor black level during motion, a short life, and suffer serious burn in. Now that LCD has high response times and good contrast, plasma is being phased out by most manufacturers. Having seem them with burned in images at trade shows, I would never get one for constant use.
    Uhh you have it backwards. It's LCDs that have miserable black levels. Burn in isn't as big an issue depending on your content - but the screens do have a limited gas life period.

LCDs are more economical, except in large glass and have way too many picture compromises compared to plasma. Plasma is by far still the king in picture.

I did get a kick out of watching all these digital signage boards being put in with 40" plasmas a few years back cycling the same content endlessly.. that was an expensive stupid move

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Eh...trying to prove that one has clausterphobia would really stink, IMO...it's really not all that uncommon.

While there might be some people who will try to abuse the privilige, I don't think there will be a lot of people that will...riding in a submarine is part of the fun of the ride. It's a very unique experience, and I think a lot of people recognize that.

• Mommy of 2 Miracles!

Quote Originally Posted by okerry View Post
    I did read on another site that the Observation Outpost can only accomodate two wheelchairs plus six people sitting on benches - that's only eight at one time!

YIKES! That's less of a chance chance for those of us pushing chairs to get in in a timely fashion. I know last year we had to skip pirates because the w/c access line was longer than the regular lines. *sigh*
    "To ALL who come to this happy place, Welcome" Walt Disney

All means ALL

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Eh...trying to prove that one has clausterphobia would really stink, IMO...it's really not all that uncommon.
    If nothing else, perhaps this thread can teach us that it's spelled CLAUSTROPHOBIA. Sorry, pwa, but you weren't the only one to do this boo-boo.

And I'm one of those who is seriously considering the observations outpost. I used to ride the subs all the time, but in the last 10 years or so my claustrophobia has hit new highs. I can just picture getting down there and having big fat people sitting on either side of me, and nowhere to run to. Panic attacks are not pretty!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast