Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    The worst part about Light Tragic wasn't the show itself as much as what it did to traffic patterns in the park. From half an hour before it started until 20 minutes after it was over, you couldn't get up or down Main Street on a busy day. So they often had to open the backstage areas behind Main Street to let people leave the park. Horrid. What a terrible way to exit the park. Your last magical memory of Disneyland . . . the back side of Main Street.

The really sad part is that I actually miss this terrible show. And I'm not sure why.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Luckiest Man Alive!

I was there for the AP Preview, thought the show was a collision between 'Lord of the Dance' (very popular at the time) and music of Enya. My opinion was that it was a decent show, but just introduced at the wrong time. People would sit on the curbs all through the hub waiting for it to start, not realizing that unless you had a spot along Main St, you didn't see anything but a dark float go by. MSEP mentality. Yes, it was a crowd control nightmare; Yes, it came right after the most popular parade in DL history (MSEP), but management just let it go out with a wimper.....I have a video I shot at the AP Preview somewhere, if I can find it, I might burn a DVD of it.
    Robert

• Lord of the Ribs

Tragic? Why yes, yes it was.

I saw it a bunch of times. I kept hoping it would get better. It never did.

Eat meat. Your daddy sez it's good for ya.

• Disney fans for life!

We were there for the debut to the public. We were told where to sit, so we figured that we would have a good view. Wrong...the screen stopped about thirty feet away, so we couldn't view it clearly. Also, the CM's changed their minds and instead of letting us stand to watch (like they told us we could) they made us sit down for the entire time. Numb-but syndrome for sure. The music and some of the lighting effects were cool, but overall it was a disaster.

The press was everywhere for it. Large crowds that were leaving disgusted that they couldn't see it. Family members back home (Bay Area) saw it on the news (bad reviews).

I remember getting interviewed by a CM on the way out and being asked what I thought about it. I told them that I normally don't trash anything Disney, (don't want my stock to go down) but that LM was the worst thing that I ever encountered there. I also told them that it wouldn't last beyond Labor Day. I think that I was right??? I also told them to bring back the Light Parade. Now one of the few highlights at DCA...

• /sigh

I don't think I've seen this one. What was it about and when did it run?
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Robert951
    I was there for the AP Preview, thought the show was a collision between 'Lord of the Dance' (very popular at the time) and music of Enya. My opinion was that it was a decent show, but just introduced at the wrong time. People would sit on the curbs all through the hub waiting for it to start, not realizing that unless you had a spot along Main St, you didn't see anything but a dark float go by. MSEP mentality. Yes, it was a crowd control nightmare; Yes, it came right after the most popular parade in DL history (MSEP), but management just let it go out with a wimper.....I have a video I shot at the AP Preview somewhere, if I can find it, I might burn a DVD of it.
    Robert
    If you can, post it on the interent for us curious people who never saw the tragedy.

• Banned User

I have the music... Just no video... (Music is great... brilliant.. I think if this was a parade with this music.. it would be better than the way it was... i hear...)

• Tour Ready

One BAD SHOW aspect of Light Magic was that they shot off huge amounts of confetti towards the end and at the finale. It made a HUGE mess and as soon as the lights went on Custodial would come out with the giant ugly and load roaring street cleaners! It was a horrible sight on Main Street... Being stuck in a horde of people on Main Street and becoming deaf by the giant vacuums cleaning the street!

The one and only time I saw Light Magic was with my best friend who was a former CM and still had his brother there as a CM. Thus, we were advised exactly where to place ourselves on Main Street to be directly in line of sight for the viewing screen on one of the Show Units. I remember most vividly all the lights going out on Main Street and seeing these huge Units passing by us on their way to the circle to turn around and set up for the show. I thought then, "What would happen if a child broke loose from its parent and ran into the street in front of one of those things.?" Luckily, as far as I know it never happened. Then, while watching the show I just kept thinking, "Is that all this is?" I didn't even care to see it again after that one time. I was not sad when it went away.
    I felt that the Lion King Celebration was the Bomb. One of the best Show/Parades that has been presented in a long time, perhaps not since. Why not do more of what works, like that???
    Sam

"Are you always this articulate?"
    --Megara--

• behind the curtain

Never got to see it, it sounds like the basis of a good idea with a lot of horrible execution and almost laughably bad planning.

• Banned User

I never saw the Lion King parade

• Luckiest Man Alive!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey
    If you can, post it on the interent for us curious people who never saw the tragedy.
    That may almost be beyond my computer skills at the moment......I'll check with one of my computer wiz friends & see if he can help me post a snippet.
    Robert

• NonRecovering Disneyholic

I have to concur with the music quotes. The music was fantastic. I really loved the tribute to MSEP near the end of the soundtrack.

I didn't get to see the show, but am kinda glad now. I would have probably hated the music after seeing the show.

Bruce Healy is a composing genius, in my humble opinion.

Regarding Parade videos

If you are looking for videos regarding Light and Magic and other parades, click on the website below..They also have ride through videos and audio as well..enjoy..

http://www.extinct-attractions-club.com/

• Baybeh!

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    Light Magic was truly shockingly patronizing, ugly and awful.

And I have never, in decades of attending Disneyland events, seen the general public look so perplexed in watching a show - - or walk away during the performance in such great numbers. It's really was embarrassing to see on all levels...
    That just about sums it up for me.

It really was a huge dud on all fronts. Music, floats, costumes, concept, etc. It was almost insulting to bear witness to.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast