Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Rock Star Minion

I agree. The only thing MSEP needed was to replace floats every so often with the latest movie theme and characters. Maybe have one "seasonal" float that gets modified to the latest rave.
    That's what would get people to watch it at least once a year. (I'm not much for parades, but I like the way MSEP drew people out of rides and queues, so I wouldn't have to wait as long. (This was before I had children, of course.)
    Jungle Cruise during MSEP was always a hoot, since you could hear the music from it.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey
    I never saw the Lion King parade
    Sorry to hear that. It was the BEST day time parade without a question.

• Minion

I only heard the music on a Disneyland/WDW album and I liked it *dodges rocks and pins*

• Munchings & Crunchings

"The Electrical Parade is a hard act to follow. It was arrogant to even try and top it."

Well, now I wouldn't say it was arrogant. Walt Disney would have always tried to top his last project. If he hadn't been "arrogant", we might not have a Disneyland, or Pirates of the Caribbean. I'm just saying that it is possible to create something that could replace the Main Street Electrical Parade and not be a failure. SpectroMagic, Fantillusion, and Dreamlights have all done that (even though there are still some who don't like any of those). They still are great replacements/improvements on the old Electrical Parade formula.

As for links for each of the shows, I'll try to dig them up.

SpectroMagic:
    http://www.spectromagic.com/ - This is the parade that replaced the MSEP at WDW

Fantillusion:
    http://www.jtcent.com/disneyland/parades/parfnt.html - This was Tokyo Disneyland's replacement for the MSEP, but it has since moved to Disneyland Paris as their replacement.

Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade DreamLights:
    http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/t...h/dreamlights/ - This is the official site for Tokyo's new parade. This replaced Fantillusion in 2001.

• CharlesJ in NoCAL

Never saw the parade, I do have the TV special recorded that they did about Light Magic. I love the music! the first couple of times I heard the music, and towards the end they break it down and start ...ya know what I am talking about...it made me cry and gave me a wonderful feeling inside that is hard to describe...what a baby!

I love Disney music...as a matter of fact Fantasmic is playing in my mp3 player as I type this message!
    When it's time to go home and visit...It's time to go to Disneyland!!!

• Banned User

This topic has made me pull out my old home video of the entire Light Magic show... Watching again, it made me realize that Pressler et all made a huge mistake with LM's promotional effords. They misled the audience into thinking it was a parade when it was not. That preconceived notion alone may have killed LM before it even had a chance to improve to the point of becoming somewhat successful. As a fan of live Disney shows, which is a reason why I love TDR so very much, I have to say I was not disappointed as much with LM as many of you are/were. I still believe this show could be placed at...say... MGM at WDW and be somewhat succesful. But for the Disney brass to pass this up as a worthy replacement for the MSEP was a major faux pas.

• Santa Barbara, CA

They should have passed it all up and saved the cash.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Quote Originally Posted by WDI33
    Light Magic or Light Tragic?

Ok... The Main Street Parade was the best way to end a summer day at Disneyland and belongs back on Main Street, not a Performance Corridor. It was replaced with the short lived and somewhat confusing Light Magic... What do you all think of Light Magic? Will anyone out there actually confess to loving it? Were Any of you at the AP "Dress Rehersal" Disaster? How many of you remember when the show had no narration and it really made no sense? Was Light Magic Really that Bad...? Or was it Really THAT BAD!!!
    It seems that Disneyland Entertainment learned a LOT from that HUGE mistake. One of its creators is now the creative director for the 50th entertainment and has taken several parts of that idea and worked it into both the Parade of Dreams and the Block Party Bash. I think that mistake will pay off BIG come May 5th...

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    I didn't love it, but I did like the music a lot. I still think that they could have saved it by simply turning it into a real parade instead of a street show.

Too bad. They wasted a LOT of money on that one.
    I agree completely. I enjoyed this parade a lot. The music was fantastic, and the talent was usually high. Poor execution was it's downfall. That was it's only real fault in my opinion, but a rather huge one...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

I remember watching the Light Magic premiere on television, it was 2 weeks before our trip to Disneyland. My girls were both under 5 years so they were thrilled with the program. The first night we arrived at the resort, just my husband and I went to the park to check out how the crowds were for the parade. It was insanity. There were so many people, I knew I was going to have to wait for hours to secure a prime spot. I watched where the floats stopped and decided that when we were going to watch it, we would sit by It's a Small World. There was something else I noticed, the further back from the floats you were, the better it looked. The optics weren't so noticeable and were more vibrant in pattern and color when you weren't so close.

The next day, we all went to Disneyland and I kept a watchful eye on the area of It's a Small World. I couldn't believe that 6 hours before the first parade, people were already throwing their blankets and tarps down, claiming their spots. The parade route filled up fast, and after 6 hours of sitting on the cement, the parade couldn't start fast enough. I can't complain though, if I had not stayed were I was, my luck wouldn't have been so good when the parade started. You see, my girls were totally into Minnie at the time. Everything was Minnie Minnie Minnie. When the floats stopped and the characters started to come out, Minnie was on the float right next to us. I was so glad. I kept hoping she wasn't way down the line of floats were the girls couldn't see her. We watched Minnie skipping along, she got closer and closer, and before we knew it, she came up and took my daughters hand, beckoning us to come out and dance with her. I was shocked! Talk about a stroke of luck! We all danced with Minnie, the smile on my daughters face was so wide, the kind you never ever forget. They were so happy! If that wasn't treat enough, the girls were chosen a second time to come and sit with the Pixies as they watched the projected show at the beginning of the parade. Suddenly, the 6 hour wait didn't seem so bad after all!

Light Magic will always be very special to me because it was one of those Disney moments for my family, the ones that you see absolute joy on your kids faces and that gleam of twinkling magic in their eyes. The only thing that wasn't fun about it is the girls were pocketing all the confetti from the show off the ground and when I woke up the next morning at the hotel, they were tossing it on us. I swear, that confetti was still turning up here and there even weeks after!

• Minion

I saw it in 97, and I remember liking the music and the lighting, but being confused.
    People didn't know where to go to see it, thinking it would be a parade, and it was so un-Disney like. The fairies, and the confusing sets, being on the wrong end of those huge flood lights is agonizing, (does anyone know if those hideous things are still being used)? they continued using these lights for the next eight years. probably because they paid so much for them. I hate them though, they really take away from the magic of the area.

Hi,

I saw it twice & although I enjoyed some of the music ( especially the MSEP part ) I found it lacking in any ' magic " BTW those mask that the fairies were wearing seemed to scare the kids so what's w/that????

• Munchings & Crunchings

They weren't wearing masks, their faces were painted, but a little to clownish for my tastes. They looked nothing like Tinkerbelle's relatives (which they were supposed to be), but rather they looked kind of creepy.

• Minion

I thought that initially they were wearing masks, but that they soon switched to face painting instead because they were receiving complaints about it being scary. No?

Left the church, but not the parishioners.
    To sum it up:

"Riverdancing fairies in a fiberoptic forest on wheels."

I shudder just at the memory. However, I did and still do like the soundtrack.

The scariest part of the show - the screen projected faces of Stepford children looking up into the "heavens". I believe these same faces were used in the also ill-conceived "Luminaria".

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234