Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• It's a dead man's party!

Re: Don't Bother with the park today.

Oh man, I'm going tomorrow for my friend's b-day. I know it's going to be crazy, but I hope more organized since the press will be gone.
    Ghost Mickey Popcorn Bucket Mission? 10/14/10 SUCCESS! FINALLY!!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I just got back as well.

Holy cow. Utter insanity. (Was that a pun?)

I'm uploading a few pics and will have them up in a bit. The crowds might not have broken records today, but they must be in the ball park. They were encouraging aps to get a hand stamp earlier. It will interesting to see if the crowd grows once people get off from work.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan View Post
    I just got back as well.

Holy cow. Utter insanity. (Was that a pun?)
    Udderly.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I don't get how anybody would think that opening day of a new attraction would NOT be a disaster.

I planned on going for Fathers Day this weekend. I totally forgot about Nemo. Now I'm having second thoughts...

• Who's your DaddyB?

Quote Originally Posted by peoplemover1 View Post
    Have any of you actually made it to the park yet today?!!
    If so... where are the pictures?
    See my signature below for pics from yesterday and this morning. I'll have a photo update up ASAP with more (I HAD to hold SOME of the really good ones back!) but you get the idea of what it looked like "behind the walls". I also took some photos around 1:30pm from the scaffolding next to Matterhorn of the tomorrowland area (the walls are of course, long since taken down)... TOTAL madhouse... but the line only went as far as the Small World area, and I was told it was "only" a 4 hour wait at that point. Disney was honestly expecting it to be FAR worse from those I talked to yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasJefferson View Post
    Why is everybody giving this guy such a hard time?
    well honestly the post sounds a little naive when I read it. Some might have taken it as a bit whiny (I didn't). But then again I don't recall a ride opening that was quite as walled off as this one was, so I can't really blame the person who posted to not expect the impact that this Grand Opening Ceremony had. Yes it was a mess, and Disney was not expecting to open the ride until noon sometime (or later). But the walls were down, quite quickly and Disney has been doing it's best to let people know what rides and attractions have been effected prior to anyone entering the park.

I never understand why they don't make these opening ceremonies more open to the public. Instead they tend to keep the public either behind walls, or so far off to the left or right that it's almost useless. It seems that Disney considers opening ceremonies to simply be a PR thing, and guests are really not worth bothering to have around for the TV and film cameras, so they're 2nd (or 3rd) class citizens. I only gather this because of my previous experiences like the Buzz Lightyear opening and the 50th ceremonies of the years recently past. This time visionsfantastic.com was lucky enough to get press credentials, but I remember very well being shocked at how poorly treated I had been as a paying guest trying to get anywhere near the cermonies going on.

So if the person who posted originally sounds naive, it's actually the rest of us who are in fact, jaded and a little bruised from past experiences.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ZedIzDead View Post
    I don't get how anybody would think that opening day of a new attraction would NOT be a disaster.

I planned on going for Fathers Day this weekend. I totally forgot about Nemo. Now I'm having second thoughts...
    Just stay away from Nemo, and you'll be fine. Last time I went on Father's Day it wasn't so bad.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by aluisi View Post
    I have been to the park for every new ride opening since as long as i can remember. And never have I encountered the closing of a major section of the park for the press.
    They closed down all of Adventureland for the opening of Indy.

So if the person who posted originally sounds naive, it's actually the rest of us who are in fact, jaded and a little bruised from past experiences.
    I've never gone to any opening day anything. I'm not jaded, I think it's common sense.

Last time I went on Father's Day it wasn't so bad.
    Yeah, I always go and it's been sort or a tradition since my daughter was born. But now we have 2 kids and it's a little harder. But yeah, maybe if I just stay out of TL everything will be cool.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by daddyb View Post
    See my signature below for pics from yesterday and this morning. I'll have a photo update up ASAP with more (I HAD to hold SOME of the really good ones back!) but you get the idea of what it looked like "behind the walls". I also took some photos around 1:30pm from the scaffolding next to Matterhorn of the tomorrowland area (the walls are of course, long since taken down)... TOTAL madhouse... but the line only went as far as the Small World area, and I was told it was "only" a 4 hour wait at that point. Disney was honestly expecting it to be FAR worse from those I talked to yesterday.

well honestly the post sounds a little naive when I read it. Some might have taken it as a bit whiny (I didn't). But then again I don't recall a ride opening that was quite as walled off as this one was, so I can't really blame the person who posted to not expect the impact that this Grand Opening Ceremony had. Yes it was a mess, and Disney was not expecting to open the ride until noon sometime (or later). But the walls were down, quite quickly and Disney has been doing it's best to let people know what rides and attractions have been effected prior to anyone entering the park.

I never understand why they don't make these opening ceremonies more open to the public. Instead they tend to keep the public either behind walls, or so far off to the left or right that it's almost useless. It seems that Disney considers opening ceremonies to simply be a PR thing, and guests are really not worth bothering to have around for the TV and film cameras, so they're 2nd (or 3rd) class citizens. I only gather this because of my previous experiences like the Buzz Lightyear opening and the 50th ceremonies of the years recently past. This time visionsfantastic.com was lucky enough to get press credentials, but I remember very well being shocked at how poorly treated I had been as a paying guest trying to get anywhere near the cermonies going on.

I agree. Yesterday while sitting near the Matterhorn, near the entrance for the Nemo event, there were so many families trying to head towards the subs and being denied access. They have all these decorations up and the blue carpet and the average guests probably assumes it's a public party for everyone to enjoy. It's not untill you try to get near that the "bouncers" for this exclusive "party" stop you and tell you that this section of the park is for special people. What does that tell a paying guest? They aren't "special" enough to attend the event? What do you tell your kids when they see other families going on the submaries and they ask why they can't ride? "Sorry Timmy. We aren't special enough to go on the submarines today. Maybe next year."

Then to add to the fun they drive the Disneyland Railroad real slow so we can see all the fun and excitement of the party that WE ARE FORBIDDEN TO ATTEND.

Personaly I think they should have these exclusive parties and events afterhours when the park is closed, like what they do with the Pirates premiers. They have the party when no regular paying guests are around to wonder why they can't go and you don't have to have the Disney bouncers at the ropes keeping people away.

• ap holder

do you think this madness would be going on wendsday?!?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by iwontwait View Post
    do you think this madness would be going on wendsday?!?
    I think the press junk that's everywhere and cutting people off from TL will be gone by tomorrow. It was needed today and yesterday...past that, nada. DL is good at getting things up and down in a timely manner when it comes to big events like this now.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    Personaly I think they should have these exclusive parties and events afterhours when the park is closed, like what they do with the Pirates premiers. They have the party when no regular paying guests are around to wonder why they can't go and you don't have to have the Disney bouncers at the ropes keeping people away.
    Actually, they didn't close the park for the pirates premiers, they tell you "Only the special groups get to go to the west side of the park, but you can go to Tomorrowland.." This isn't any different, its just a different area oc the park.

I don't think people would have liked to have had the park close at 4pm yesterday, or not open til noon today.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Mickey Mouse Slave

well, one, its ONE day.

and two, what would YOU do?
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

• That Guy

Change your avatar.

• Tourist

I wonder what it was like today at DCA.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast