View Poll Results: does knowing how Disneyland effects are done spoil the magic? (open poll)

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. It hightens it.

57 67.86%
  • Yes, some things are better left mysterious

27 32.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• white and nerdy

Question Does knowing the secrets spoil the magic?

When I make my next pilgrimage to Disneyland, I will be going with lots of family, including a very curious 6 year old who is old enough to know better, but still too young to care. She thinks I’m the best uncle in the world because I can tell her all kinds of stuff about Disneyland (her favorite ride is the Haunted Mansion) Anyway, she told me that she wants me to tell her how they do all the special effects on the rides. I was excited about that, but then her grandmother (and my mom, one and the same) told me not to because if she knows it’s all just a trick, then it will ruin the magic for her….

I don’t know about that. I remember being that young (too scared to ride haunted mansion back then… I sucked) but figuring out how they did all the tricks made it.. I don’t know… more magical…

I want to know what do you think
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries
    YES! I don't want to know how any of it's done, I just want to enjoy the effect. The magic of Push the talking trash can was ruined for me once it was explained to me how it was done. Now it's just not the same.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Hooterville, USA

It's fun to know if it's an easy illusion or a costly one. Some are so simple that you would never figure it out.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Rock Star Minion

She asked, so you should provide answers. Screw Grandma and her hyper-controlling of all things around her.

Now, I wouldn't give her a running commentary on everything you see, but if she asks, then go ahead. You can still fake as if you don't know if it's something you want her to figure out for herself (Push, for example). Or in HM: are the walls going up or is the floor moving down? Let her figure it out. She'll be smarter in the long run. Or, at the elevator exit, have her count steps she takes down the hallway, then see how that compares with steps outside.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    I love knowing how things work.. It's my personality... I had to find out everything about fantasmic and how it works, and I'm just in awe... Some of the things they do are so simple, but seem so extravagent and hard... It's all incredible!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    She asked, so you should provide answers. Screw Grandma and her hyper-controlling of all things around her.

Now, I wouldn't give her a running commentary on everything you see, but if she asks, then go ahead. You can still fake as if you don't know if it's something you want her to figure out for herself (Push, for example). Or in HM: are the walls going up or is the floor moving down? Let her figure it out. She'll be smarter in the long run. Or, at the elevator exit, have her count steps she takes down the hallway, then see how that compares with steps outside.
    Other than the mention of screwin grandma... (To paraphrase Bill and Ted "She's my MOM dude!") that is very good advice.. Thank you.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    Other than the mention of screwin grandma... (To paraphrase Bill and Ted "She's my MOM dude!") that is very good advice.. Thank you.
    Even grandmas need to be put in their place every once in a while.
    Otherwise, happy to oblige. My feeling is that one day she'll go online and find out all the secrets anyway.
    Try this first, though, to make her think: "How do YOU think it works?"
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Even grandmas need to be put in their place every once in a while.
    Otherwise, happy to oblige. My feeling is that one day she'll go online and find out all the secrets anyway.
    Try this first, though, to make her think: "How do YOU think it works?"
    I guess I took it to Oedipusish....

But you are right... get a kid to try and figure it out on their own makes them more curious and smarter in the long run...

if you ain't one already, you would make a great parent... if you are one already... then I guess you are a great parent...

• Sock Puppet

It depends on the child. Some kids, just have curious minds. The future engineers and inventors. Nothing wrong with satisfying their curiosity, will do them well for the future. Maybe they'll eventually figure out how things are done, that you don't quite get.
    When I was young, I used to try to figure the shows out. My dad had no idea if I asked. He is an accountant from New Jersey. His only knowledge of construction/repair/design was he knew the difference between a phillips and flathead screwdriver. I figured most of the shows out on my own, but loved the internet later in life for teaching me the rest.
    Recently took one each niece and nephew (there are 11 in all!). My nephew, just took it in. Had no interest in how it was done. My niece, was very interested. She was very specific too. She wanted to know about the pepper's ghosts in the ballroom of course, but also about the shadows cast on the piano in the attic. This was the first time I've seen this new effect, and it took me 3 rides that day to get it! standing up in the buggie, checking out the projector.
    This one I will keep for myself though. It's brilliant! (think bi-focal glasses)

Don't offer up the information, but if the child wants to know, explain it, just let them know all that is involved. Saying 'mirage' or 'hologram' is not enough.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

I have to take the opposite side of this arguement. I also love finding out how things are done, but at the same time I'm not one for giving away all the secrets. Whenever little kids with me at the park ask if something is real, I'll ask them "do you want it to be real?" If they say yes, then I'll reply "then its real". If they say no, then my answer is, "Its as real as you want it to be". They're only kids once; let them enjoy it.

On the other hand, if they really want to know how its done I agree to an extent with sediment, (though I've got a bit more respect for your mom!): ask them how they think it was done, and if they get it right you can verify it. But don't give it all away. Leave them with some of the magic, and something to think about.

• FastPass n00b

Once I figured out how the ball rolls in Indy it ruined it for me. It's not as terrifying as it once was because I know the secret.

And for those of you who want to know how it works...
    Spoiler
    The room moves while the ball stays in place

• Sock Puppet

Not exactly true, athlonacon, but I wont spoil it for you either.....

I say you should tell her, but don't show her (i.e.don't make her look on the floor in the boulder scene on Indy). I love to know how all the effects are done (want to be future Imagineer) but wouldn't dare to look inside Peter Pan with the light on.

Ooooo These are new cool

• I know I'm just a newbie

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee

I want to know what do you think

If the child asks how it was done than great tell them....share your knowledge with the next generation of disney nut
    Eating greens is a special treat, it grows long ears and great big feet, But it sure is awful stuff to eat

Walt and his crew were pure Geniuses

• CM for 4 years!

You know, I know about Indy, but I still can't see it myself. When I try, I just get incredibly dizzy.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast