• Sock Puppet

Services for blind guests

I know that Disneyland offers special services for certain guests such as typed narrations for the hearing impaired, etc. But does anyone know if the park offers anything to plus the experience for blind guests? I am heading down to Disneyland with some friends, one of whom is blind. She has been to Disneyland before for a day here and a day there... but I wanted to make sure her experience this time was even more amazing.

• Minion

Re: Services for blind guests

Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
    I know that Disneyland offers special services for certain guests such as typed narrations for the hearing impaired, etc. But does anyone know if the park offers anything to plus the experience for blind guests? I am heading down to Disneyland with some friends, one of whom is blind. She has been to Disneyland before for a day here and a day there... but I wanted to make sure her experience this time was even more amazing.
    She should be able to hear the narration but I suspect that you may be talking about something like descriptive video.

Haven't heard of Disney providing it but perhaps you should make a suggestion that they should. They could use the same equipment they use for foreign language translations on some attractions.

You could describe it to her yourself but there might be some complaints from other guests about talking over the narration. It might be less disruptive to do that in the video room but I'd think she'd like to go on the ride itself too. Talk to a CM about the issue and possibility and ask if you can do both without getting back in line. They are usually very accommodating to the needs.

• Sock Puppet

Thanks for the information. That was my biggest question because I hadn't heard of anything in terms of descriptions, etc.. but just wanted to make sure.

I've never had an issue with people complaining when friends and I help describe key stuff during films.. so I'm sure we'll be fine.

Thanks

• Minion

Thanks for the information. That was my biggest question because I hadn't heard of anything in terms of descriptions, etc.. but just wanted to make sure.

I've never had an issue with people complaining when friends and I help describe key stuff during films.. so I'm sure we'll be fine.

Thanks
    Does she use a cane or a guide dog? One thing is if she uses a guide, the rides with height restrictions, you will need to plan on someone staying with the dog. We do rider swap with our dog. My daughter rides with a sibling, when she comes off, she takes the dog back and I ride with one of the other sibs.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Sock Puppet

She actually just uses a friend.

But she's getting her first guide dog after our trip so that's awesome to know for the future! Thank you.

• Minion

They have a guidebook in Braille. Maybe call 714-781-4000 and ask about what they offer...

• Minion

She actually just uses a friend.

But she's getting her first guide dog after our trip so that's awesome to know for the future! Thank you.
    Note that the dog is allowed to ride on some rides. Not the coasters and other demanding rides, of course, but the dog is allowed to sit on the floor even in some cases where the humans must be belted.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Hey Malcon10t, now that it has been brought up, what rides are you able to take service dogs on? I hope I'm not being rude in any manner, but I find this interesting to know how Disney accomodates people.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Mickey Mouse Slave

I would love to see a dog ride Indy or Space Mt. :P

well, my friend's brother is blind. They got him a handicap pass. He basically listens to everything. He brings a tape recorder as a memory keeper sorta like a digital camera. his brother just describes much of the stuff to him and is recorded so he remembers.
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

• Mickeyfan3

Um, as a Guide Dogs for the Blind Puppy Raiser who has not yet brought a dog to the park...I wouldn't take one on any of the coasters or rides such as Indy, Star Tours, etc. That would not be fair to the dog.

Rapunzle - Sakura (see my Avatar!!!!) is in Phase 3 of her training at Guide Dogs. When is your friend scheduled to go into class? I'd love it if she went to a Disneyfan....let me know!!! Stacie
    Counting the minutes......next trip ??????!!!! (to far away!!!)
    That is current Puppy in Training for Guide Dogs for the Blind, TIKI!!!!
    Hoofprints On the Heart Adaptive Riding Center