• Looking for Love

Sub Closure Question

Can someone give me the specific reason they closed the subs? As a kid I always loved that ride...it was great to relax in and now as a young adult, listening to the sub track on my 6 disc set, and seeing the movie of the ride on (insert name of disneyland fansite...i forgot the name) just brings back memorys of what a fun and funny ride it was. Did it just loose popularity or somthing? I dn't see how somthing like that could happen with new generations being born every day.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Derekuda
    Can someone give me the specific reason they closed the subs? As a kid I always loved that ride...it was great to relax in and now as a young adult, listening to the sub track on my 6 disc set, and seeing the movie of the ride on (insert name of disneyland fansite...i forgot the name) just brings back memorys of what a fun and funny ride it was. Did it just loose popularity or somthing? I dn't see how somthing like that could happen with new generations being born every day.
    Good question. Why and whose idea was it to close 'em!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

I believe the subs were closed for a number of reasons..

* The on going cost of maintenance did not justify the ride's lagging attendance
    * An ambitious WDI plan to transform the subs into an "Atlantis" themed attraction was gathering momentum at the time & originally was planned by Pressler & Co.
    * A decision to build DCA froze Capital growth within DL & put plans for the subs on the indefinate Back burn.

& here we are today!

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    They claimed it was outdated, plus the then-new Rocket Rods were expected to divert guests' attention as the new E-Ticket. By 2000, of course, Rocket Rods were gone...

• Banned User

hmm.. it was the only TL open during the rehab right?? for all of it.. so it closed for it's transformation.. but the budget never appeared.. and thus where it is today....

• FastPass n00b

It was one expensive ride to operate from what I heard. Combined with its relatively low ride capacity and dwindling interest it was doomed. When it was shut down, they promised an Atlantis ride by 2003 (5 years after closure). It was rumored to be much more thrilling with "cracked glass" effects achieved with fiber optics. Even at the time people were skeptical because, well, why close a ride 5 years before you're ready to do anything with it and Pressler didn't exaclty have an established record of opening new rides.

I don't think it helped that Atlantis was a box office bomb. I saw the movie and LOVED it, it was an absolutely awesome movie. But box office is everything and Atlantis's failure at the theaters pretty much sealed this ride's fate until Matt Ouimet came along. To her credit, Cynthia Harriss was trying to reopen the ride at the time of her departure, but unlike Matt's reasons, she was pretty desperate to open *anything* in Tomorrowland due to the Rods going out and nothing to do in that place.

• Hunka hunka burnin love!

Huntington Beach, CA - 30 minutes away from Disneyland!
    i know why!!!

the smell of baby poop and nasty farts people did. and YOU WERE TRAPPED! in a hot cabin with the smell of hot stinky poop!.. thats my theory!
    We're addicted to Disney

I was there on May 5th, 2005! and July 17, 2005!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

The subs closed in WDW too.....so the answer would most likely be one of upkeep and operational cost. Then again we are talking about Eisners Disney, so who knows...
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Former CM

Beside for the upkeep and operational costs I believe the emissions were also part of it (Thanks a lot AQMD for taking away a favorite).

• Disney worshipper/geek

Yeah, I remember hearing about the emissions.

Slightly off-topic, but the subs were originally constructed at the docks of San Pedro/Wilmington. My great-grandfather worked on those subs. My grandmother and I were so sad to see them go-it made me miss my grandfather all the more. I would always go on this ride so proud that he had a hand in it.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

• the subs were cool maan

So when they re-open the subs with the SAME submarines, and the fact that the "under water box" containing the animatronics will only be in the caves, doesnt that mean they still need to install some-sort of scenery at the outside lagoon? and doesnt that mean they will still have to have divers go down at night to fix them/pick up trash? So wont this new nemo ride still have ALL or most of the problems of the old ride?

• Banned User

WDW's closed long long time ago.... Sabatoges by it's own matinence and work crew... (new president of park.. taking tour.. offered ride on sub.. they made the one he was on look bad.. he shut ride down for permanent referbishment...)

DL's ran for long time.. they are going to try to use same mechanisms.. (maybe replace track..) same vehicles.. (add better ventalation???) but add different things...

I wonder how much of Atlantis' idea is going into Nemo??

• insufferable know-it-all

I wish not ALL new rides had to based upon movie characters.

That said, I actually think Nemo would be great. I'm sure the reason they're tearing out the old scenery is to put something new in there that fits the new theme, you know, like something colorful

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Quote Originally Posted by mp3piratesavvy
    So when they re-open the subs with the SAME submarines, and the fact that the "under water box" containing the animatronics will only be in the caves, doesnt that mean they still need to install some-sort of scenery at the outside lagoon? and doesnt that mean they will still have to have divers go down at night to fix them/pick up trash? So wont this new nemo ride still have ALL or most of the problems of the old ride?

Well from the recent pictures I've seen of the lagoon, they're scraping all of the rock work down to the smooth concrete base so it looks like they're going to totally redo the outside of the lagoon. My guess is, while they've got the rockwork torn up, they'll install some new pool equipment that will take care of a lot of the dirt and sediment that built up on the bottom of the lagoon (trust me, in 91 when I drove the Subs it looked like it needed a good pool sweep).

Nowadays there is water jet technology that can keep the lagoon cleaner than it was before (filters, jets, drains, etc.).