Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Nemo?

•   
    • Senior Minion

Why Nemo?

Why Nemo? Why bring back the subs and have it tied into the movie Nemo? Does Disney really need to tie in an attraction with an arguably forgetful movie to believe it will be successful? In 15 years will the movie Nemo really be that memorable? Is it even that relevant today?

I think a more impressive attraction would have been a sub ride without a fad movie as a crutch.. like with POTC or HM... let it have its own story. Make it unique, introduce us to a new storyline or adventure. There are lots of wonderful and amazing things about the ocean on its own...the Imagineers should have brought us into their world, not Nemo's.

If you believe that Nemo the movie will prove to be as timeless for example as Peter Pan, or Alice in Wonderland, I respect that... I just don't think so.

• Minion

Re: Why Nemo?

Uhm the little mermaid is STILL more popular than nemo, ariels still running around. I wish they chose her.
    I think they chose nemo because it appeals to kids of the 2000's and they thought nemo will be a timeless classic like alice in wonderland.

but a newer storyline would have been great

• Man O Lantern

I'm with you. I've been unimpressed with the Nemo idea for the subs. I'm very disappointed that they had to movie-theme it at all, actually. I'm probably in the minority on that one.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Don't underestimate Nemo. It's a GREAT film. It's got the power to tug on our emotions... and I know darn well that I'm watching FISH. Yet I get goosebumps watching it anyway!

So why Nemo? The straight answer is this: It was their only shot.

Corporate was just not willing to see the original ride come back in its original form. I don't see why it couldn't work with reworked and updated effects. But I don't know that part of the story.

So The Little Mermaid was pitched, but the story just wouldn't work. Especially with "modern day submarines".

Atlantis: the Lost Empire was the next option, but the film didn't do so well in the box office. I personally think that concept is still a good one. It doesn't need to be tied to the movie directly either. Just... by name. And wasn't Atlantis part of the finds in the original subs anyway?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

nope i agree, but on the upside, we didnt get it paved over like WDW

• Minion

I would have much prefered them theming the attraction to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea like Tokyo DisneySea, but I guess Jules Verne doesn't really belong in Tomorrowland either. It would be much better than Finding Nemo though!
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    I would have much prefered them theming the attraction to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea like Tokyo DisneySea, but I guess Jules Verne doesn't really belong in Tomorrowland either. It would be much better than Finding Nemo though!
    Just for one moment... could you not think about Tokyo Disney?

• Minion

Your right about the time periods mixing i didnt even think of that. But i still want it lol. Atlantis could have been cool. When you think of atlantis u can make it pretty much whatever you want. It might have had some things from the movie but probly not the characters. If only it was popular we would have had subs like 5 years ago?

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post
    Your right about the time periods mixing i didnt even think of that. But i still want it lol. Atlantis could have been cool. When you think of atlantis u can make it pretty much whatever you want. It might have had some things from the movie but probly not the characters. If only it was popular we would have had subs like 5 years ago?

Oh totally! It would be like an expedition to find the lost city. It would have been fantastic! I don't understand why box office seems to be the final decision maker on things. It's my experience that if you're passionate about something, others will eventually jump on board. If Disney believed in an Atlantis attraction and it's good, the audience will come and support it. And who knows... maybe it'll pick up new fans of the film while they're at it. I personally thought Atlantis was awesome and couldn't wait to see it again.

How cool would this be?

But yah, for it to really work, it would have to be in ruins... and that's kind of sad. An above water attraction for Atlantis would probably work better.

•   
    • Senior Minion

You guys are missing my point. You are talking about Atlantis, or 20,000 Leagues an an alternative. This attraction ultimately didn't need any of this. We needed to be brought on a timeless underwater adventure courtesy of the imagination of the Imagineers. It could have been a uniquely wonderful Disneyland experience... and still around in 40 years like POTC, but it won't be as an extension of this movie.... unless you think the Smurfs are still cool
    Last edited by ThomasJefferson; 06-12-2007 at 11:27 PM.

• Animatronic

Why Nemo? Because the new Disneyland Resort(tm) slogan is "We Pimp Pirates and Pixar."(tm) I suppose the subs could have come back as a deep sea search for the wreck of the Flying Dutchman... actually that sounds pretty cool...

• Minion

Thats what were talking about... We are talking about Atlantis not just the movie but the theme

• Queen Elsa

I was on the Nemo ride on the 7th and I was very disapointed in it. To me it was boarding. Maybe because I didn't like the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    I'm very disappointed that they had to movie-theme it at all, actually. I'm probably in the minority on that one.
    You'd be surprised..!

• 88 mph

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasJefferson View Post
    Why Nemo? Why bring back the subs and have it tied into the movie Nemo? Does Disney really need to tie in an attraction with an arguably forgetful movie to believe it will be successful? In 15 years will the movie Nemo really be that memorable? Is it even that relevant today?
    Because Walt died and creativity died with it.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast