Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Cast Members being trained to give the wrong information to Guests

Quote Originally Posted by themarquisde View Post
    While I agree with your points completely, my family had the privilege of sitting near the guide at the end of the tour and as we waited for the Christmas Fantasy Parade to begin we got to learn a bit more about her and the training she went through before the tour.

One of the things she told us was that there is a word-by-word script that the guides are provided with, and there is a test on the material before they can take the tour out with guests. The guide doesn't need to repeat the script word-for-word, but is instructed to include all of the same information in a personal way that doesn't make it sound like they're reciting a book.

I understand what you're saying in that people raised in a certain way with a certain education level may very likely have a stronger understanding of different cultures, but the facts in question were given to the guide with a word-for-word presentation to boot.
    This being the case, it appears as though Disney had failed to train the guide adequately. The guide must have been relatively new, or they would have known their stuff. Perhaps these hosts/hostesses need to have a trainer travel along with them on their first several tours - as "training wheels" until they get used to riding their "bike" around the neighborhood.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Quote Originally Posted by themarquisde View Post
    Pft. That's definitely not what's in the script. When I took the tour, the Guide gave us examples of different holiday greetings around the world and said something to the effect of "The Darling Children from Peter Pan would wish us 'Happy Christmas! In China, Mulan would give us the holiday greeting of 'sheng don jequilay,'..." [Forgive my miserable attempt at Chinese, it sounded something like that...]

While I appreciate JeffYardDog's defense of the guides, as it must be crazy to learn everything about the parks, when one is giving a tour that highlights specific things, it is essential to know the details about them. Especially when it all started.
    I'm glad to see that the script part concerning Mulan has been fixed.
    "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Individuality is a great thing....as long as we think alike.

• Jerm is Food...Not Friend

About 5 min from where the Magic really started

Quote Originally Posted by youcancallmechris View Post
    Not to question one's credibility but I seriously doubt anyone from the DU said that. The Cast Members on that Team are highly trained, very competitive, and seldom give incorrect information. In fact as a Cast Member I think they'd be next to call if I had a question and City Hall wasn't answering their phone. Maybe they were doing the V in the Service Model but also on that- I doubt it. What are the odds that everyone on the DU called in on Orientation day, and they filled the shift with a Custodial Host? I don't know most of you but I think the story is BS.
    Well if you are calling them, you are in trouble. I would not go so far as to say they know everything, I have been around when they have given wrong info and not just a little bit but a big amount.

The moral of the story is don't believe stories or things over heard/that you read/that a CM tells you/or that you read on here.

J
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

Quote Originally Posted by Jerm View Post
    Well if you are calling them, you are in trouble. I would not go so far as to say they know everything, I have been around when they have given wrong info and not just a little bit but a big amount.

The moral of the story is don't believe stories or things over heard/that you read/that a CM tells you/or that you read on here.

J
    I would never claim anyone to know it all about the park(s). I would however, claim that I refuse to believe a mistake THAT old and THAT far fetched occurred unless it was stated in some sort of humorus way. Plain and simple- the folks in the DU aren't always the most knowlegable about the Resort, but they're a little more scrutinized than most other departments. Who the heck hasn't been present to witness something odd or offhand in the Parks? I took 11 pictures of things I saw wrong with CM's in Florida and that was within 6 days! I've seen a CM light up a cigarette onstage, then pretty much tell someone to, "Shove off, I'm on break". Bad information happens often- but understand that (like City Hall) their tours "Traditions" are basically speiled. Both can 'adlib' to some extent but really the only time they can go 'off speil' is when they're being asked questions by Guests or by the New Hires. Hypotheticals- which I somehow think if this story holds water, are one possibility I'm thinking in this story. "Soooo if a little kid comes up to you and says- 'What are those wires for'? You can reply with "Have you ever seen pictures of the old sky bucket ride"? Check your PM's

• Can Only Wish For More!

Quote Originally Posted by TrueHyde View Post
    I overheard a Cast Member outside POTC (as they were broken down..) spiel to guests about how the Kraken was inside attacking the boats. The guests wanted to know what REALLY happened..."if I told you, would you fix it? No? Okay. Then the Kraken it is." or something like that. It was pretty funny. They seemed to enjoy that answer because then they asked "Okay, fine...why does Tinkerbell need those wires by the Matterhorn if she can fly?" "Well...she uses those on the especially windy nights to help guide her across the way. You wouldn't want her blown off course and into a firework wouldja?"
    The wires are to guide Tink over the castle. Disney puts safety above magic. We don't want Tink to get hurt, so she wears a mask to protect her from the pyro. So, she flies herself, but the wires "guide" her over the castle!
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456