Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Helmsdad

Point System for Cast Members?

Are some CMs getting Stressed out or what? :

A kind of funny incident:
    While boarding Star Tours Tuesday a female CM began screaming at another (male) CM in front of myself and children for sending her passengers before she was ready (and I mean SCREAMING!) "I told you not to send me any passengers yet!", she yelled. I said to her "I'm sorry, we can go back", but she (changing dispositions immediatly) said "Oh no, it's okay go right ahead to boarding, row 5 please" - in the sweetest voice. She then began chasing and berating the other CM again. Kind of funny actually - but she was soooo nice to us I had to laugh. Like something out of Psycholand. Not negative at all though - sweet girl, to us anyway.

Another not so funny Incident: Out of respect for guest services I won't disucss the details of what happened concerning another CM and my little boy. Let's just say that Guest Services made up for the incident completly and the, um, CM was immeditely removed from the attraction (and the Park I presume). They took care of it so quick and effeciently that I felt bringing in the police was not be needed.

Another incident the previous day: A not so nice male CM gave us phony information concerning a way to simply get to the matterhorn. I don't know if it was intentional but a nicer female CM standing less than 10 feet from the (not so nice) phony info guy took up personally to the matterhorn (which we could see from where we were standing). The previous guy would not even allow us to pass. I don't know what his problem was but he flat out lied to us - I'm guessing he probably was incompetent or ignorant or both. At the least he was NOT NICE about it anyway - right in front of my children too. Sad.

Overall it was an incredible trip. We recieved some REALLY great treatment from Guest Services which certainly made up for the bad CM's.

I have never had to complain about a CM ever (since 1962) until now. However both negetive CM experiences could not go un reported.

On the bright side I gave written compliments to 3 of the best CM's ever.

=====================
    Are CM's being pushed to the limit with summer and graduation upon them? Or is it simply training? Are they rejects from Six-Flags or Knotts with horrible attitudes or what? What is going on?

I heard from a former CM that there used to be a point system to track bad CM's and after aquiring a certain amount the CM would be terminated. She said that in the old days they would get 1 warning, 1 write-up and the third time BAM - terminated.

On the flip side do they award "merit" points or something for compliments? I really do hope there is some kind of reward for the good ones. The differences between CM's can be striking.

Could any micechatters shed some light on current policies? Thanks in advance.

And thank you TRUE "CM's". Being a CM is truly a PERFORMANCE and you all are "on stage" and part of the show. Thanks for making my children's experience as wonderful as I remember when I was a child - 1962 to date.
    (always a child at heart).

Did I just say that?

• Former Epcot CM

Re: Point System for Cast Members?

I like how she kept up the show by referring to guests as 'passengers' even though she was having a bit of a drama session
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Another one already?

• Minion

For castmembers they still have a point system. If you call in sick, no shows, not in the right costume, or do something wrong, you get a point, or more. After so many points they let you go, or if you are quick enough to catch it you quit before they fire you. (which is what I did. ) As for being good, you don't get anything. As time goes on your points will fall off, but it takes awhile.

• 88 mph

Wow, I feel theres discrimination against us CM's in this Forum!!!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

Oftentimes it does.

• Mickeyfan3

For all of you CM's out there, I just want to say I have NEVER, ever, had anything but a wonderful experience with y'all at DL, from the Janitors to Snow White herself and every character in between. (I say Snow White because at 18 mos my son was infatuated with her and wouldn't leave her side. She sat on the step with him for 10 minutes and was fully entertaining us all. I kept trying to pull him away and she'd say "oh no, please let him stay!!!" Thankfully it was early in the day (and hot) so not much of a line behind him.)

CM's at CA on the other hand...most are very nice, some looked like they'd rather be elsewhere....I'm guessing DL.
    Counting the minutes......next trip ??????!!!! (to far away!!!)
    That is current Puppy in Training for Guide Dogs for the Blind, TIKI!!!!
    Hoofprints On the Heart Adaptive Riding Center

• 88 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeyfan3 View Post
    For all of you CM's out there, I just want to say I have NEVER, ever, had anything but a wonderful experience with y'all at DL, from the Janitors to Snow White herself and every character in between. (I say Snow White because at 18 mos my son was infatuated with her and wouldn't leave her side. She sat on the step with him for 10 minutes and was fully entertaining us all. I kept trying to pull him away and she'd say "oh no, please let him stay!!!" Thankfully it was early in the day (and hot) so not much of a line behind him.)

CM's at CA on the other hand...most are very nice, some looked like they'd rather be elsewhere....I'm guessing DL.
    Thanks! Us CM's don't take bashings like these personally. We know that poeple have to take their frustration out on someone, and were an easy target. If the fireworks are cancelled, Its our fault. If someone cuts in line, its our fault. But we love our jobs for people that appreciate us for who we are and what we represent. Thanks!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeronius View Post
    Us CM's don't take bashings like these personally.
    WTF I do! /cries
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• 88 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast View Post
    WTF I do! /cries
    "And that is why you fail!"

Hahaha but i mean pointless complaints like say you cant let guests cross this area because its a parade route and they start calling you a "problem" and the "reason why theirday at DL sucks". How would you take that personally when you haven't done anything wrong?

-Adidas

• Helmsdad

Quote Originally Posted by Jeronius View Post
    "And that is why you fail!"

Hahaha but i mean pointless complaints like say you cant let guests cross this area because its a parade route and they start calling you a "problem" and the "reason why theirday at DL sucks". How would you take that personally when you haven't done anything wrong?
    As long as the CM is courteous about it - that's cool. But when they give you an attitude and act all nasty that's unacceptable.

Guests can be testy of course at times but remember THEY are on vacation - YOU'RE NOT. You're at WORK. CM's should do well to remember this.

If you're a CM and you can't bring yourself to be part of the "magic" then go work at Knotts or Six Flags or better yet, just go home.

I find the CM's from Whittier and Motebello, Monterery Park etc. seem to be the worst as far as attitudes go. The ones from out of state (ie: Eugene, OR) seem to be the best. Just an observation from one guest. I don't know if that's actually true or not overall - maybe they spend too much time of the FWY getting to work or something.?

At any rate grumpy CM's are defininetly unacceptable and will be reported as such. It's bad enough we have to put up with your nasty attitudes on the FWY - whatever, but we will NOT put up with it while on vacation.

Did I just say that?

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by sixwoofys View Post
    A kind of funny incident:
    While boarding Star Tours Tuesday a female CM began screaming at another (male) CM in front of myself and children for sending her passengers before she was ready (and I mean SCREAMING!) "I told you not to send me any passengers yet!", she yelled. I said to her "I'm sorry, we can go back", but she (changing dispositions immediatly) said "Oh no, it's okay go right ahead to boarding, row 5 please" - in the sweetest voice. She then began chasing and berating the other CM again. Kind of funny actually - but she was soooo nice to us I had to laugh. Like something out of Psycholand. Not negative at all though - sweet girl, to us anyway.
    I think I know which Star Tours CM you're talking about there, and she's been there for years. She's so nasty to her fellow CMs that she contributes to the high CM turnover rate as people just won't put up with that crap.

• Mickey Mouse Slave

i guess its kinda stressful.

This week i have two grad night shifts back to back. pretty much, im still awake for 22 hours and about to pass out. after the next grad night, i have a 9 hour gap before my next shift. :|

This happens a lot. Also, getting extended a lot as well.

I get blamed for the high prices of the food. I usually just say i dont set the prices, Mickey does, go ask Mickey. They usually go "umm, no thanks."
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

• back to WDW in January

I implore that the CM's not percieve any legitimate criticism of a few folks as a general overview of the staff or take any of it as CM bashing. I am former CM who has had his share of negative guest encounters yet I am also a frequent Disney Park visitor who has had exposure to negative CM encounters as well.
    For example, just last year my kids and I were riding Splash Mountain during a light rain at WDW and we had our umbrellas with us. We wore ponchos, just holding our umbrellas but the boarding CM took them from us stating that umberellas were not allowed on the ride and that they would be available for pickup at the exit when the ride was over.
    When we get off the ride and went to retrieve our umbrellas we were told that our umbrellas were not there and that as far as they knew no one had them. I finally tracked down the CM who initially took the items, and after he delayed a bit and rudely remarked that it would probably take some time that he really didn't have just then, he finally "found" our umbrellas for us ... they were being used by the CM's on the dock !!! The worst part was that when we first confronted the CM's about this they told us that they couldn't be using our umbrellas since they each had their own but what they didn't know was that ours were marked with each of our names written inside them. After I showed them, the CM's (reluctantly) returned our umbrellas but with no word of apology. And, after all was said and done, it turns out that none of them ever actually had umbrellas in the first place.
    I immediately made for Main St.and reported this incident to the customer service folks at Town Hall who were very apologetic and said someone would speak to the CM's about the incident and their behavior.
    On the other hand, during the same trip, my 4 year old daughter was heartbroken when she lost her favorite toy duck that we had purchased at the Haunted Mansion cart earlier in the week. When we mentioned this to the CM later in the week while back at the HM cart the CM promptly replaced it for free on the spot. I initially protested offering to pay but she said she was glad to be providing us with a Magical Moment - and for my daughter, it definitely was. You can be assured that we let the customer service folks know about that as well.
    There are guests who will complain about anything and unfortunately that will happen more often then we would like. However as Disney guests we are typically paying top dollar for an experience that promises the fulfillment of our highest expectations and as such we are entitled to voice our complaints and cristicism seeking a resolution if those expectations aren't met.
    With that said it is also important to note that while there will always be a few bad apples in every bunch, in general the CM's do an exceptional job of providing exceptional service and for that (often unforgiving task) I applaud them all.
    Last edited by tjcjr; 06-14-2007 at 04:55 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    i guess its kinda stressful.

This week i have two grad night shifts back to back. pretty much, im still awake for 22 hours and about to pass out. after the next grad night, i have a 9 hour gap before my next shift. :|

This happens a lot. Also, getting extended a lot as well.

I get blamed for the high prices of the food. I usually just say i dont set the prices, Mickey does, go ask Mickey. They usually go "umm, no thanks."
    Start dissing and blaming Mickey in earshot of a manager and you'll end up toast - and not on the menu type.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast