Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• 88 mph

Tomorrowland's Identity Crisis

The new Nemo Submarine Ride is a hit. But what I find something odd is what is on the map. Thats right, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage is still apart of Tomorrowland. Now this wouldn't be a problem if the OLD submarine voyage was in place, but becuase of the Nemo overhaul, one can say that calling it a product of "tomorrow" can be highly debated. Can a submarine ride about a movie of digital fish be considered futuristic? Is Tomorrowland already a product of Yesterland? Can this be argued with the products of such other Pixar products like Buzz Lightyear?

Will our Tomorrowland end up like the ill-fated "Tomorrow" of the Magic Kingdom in WDW?

In my opinion, the submarine should now be considered apart of Fantasyland. In no way should a movie about fish be considered futuristic. At least with Buzz you can argue that Space Rangers and Space Battles are of a futuristic element, but talking fish? Your thoughts?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

• Boogers are salty

Re: Tomorrowland's Identity Crisis

Nemo Subs will soon be moved to Fantasyland, just like the Matterhorn was. A sad travesty.

• 88 mph

Quote Originally Posted by 1disneynut2another View Post
    Nemo Subs will soon be moved to Fantasyland, just like the Matterhorn was. A sad travesty.
    Thats what I thought to, but why not make the adjustments right away? As a new-hire cast member, I am encouraged to tell inquiring Guests that the Nemo Submarine Voyage is located in Tomorrowland.

I know that they do this becuase of Location sake. Since its right under the monorail, it makes sense to say its in Tomorrowland, but you destroy the Theme aspect of the Theme Park.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

it wont be moved and ill tell ya why. Attraction CMs are landlocked if you work tomorowland thats what you work, fantasyland, critter country etc. To move subs from TL control to FL control would cause every cast member who knows nemo to give up all their other attractions in TL and move to FL would never happen.

• Disneyland with Bob Ross

Storybook Land Canal will be moved into Tomorrowland after the newly painted Monstro closely resembles the Blue'ish hue recently used to abolish the gold, copper and brown colors of '98.
    When living in Vegas - Sin as the sinners do!

Find me on MySpace

• DL Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by DLcastmbr View Post
    it wont be moved and ill tell ya why. Attraction CMs are landlocked if you work tomorowland thats what you work, fantasyland, critter country etc. To move subs from TL control to FL control would cause every cast member who knows nemo to give up all their other attractions in TL and move to FL would never happen.
    as somebody who wants to keep the integrity of the themes intact

All I can say is a big .. MEH to that.

• 88 mph

But thats exactly my point. To avoid this problem, simply reopen this new attraction as a Fantasyland Attraction. In that way, its Fantasyland CM's that will work.

But thats besides the point. Finding Nemo is NOT in any way about "Tomorrow".

-Adidas

its already open though so theres nothing they can do now. thats all im saying and i think liquad space works really nicely. Plus subs entrance is in the MIDDLE of TL right next to autopia and Monorail its like having star tours entrance next to IASM never work.

I agree one hundred percent and have made my opinion known whenever the topic comes up. Ridiculous! BUT... Fantasyland already has 13 rides.. so they should've thought harder than Nemo and just redone the subs to be more futuristic with a different theme. But that's just me, apparently.
    hi diddly dee.... an actor's life for me! :-)

yes but....... every single land lost a bundle of their CMs and leads and trainers to subs....
    hi diddly dee.... an actor's life for me! :-)

• 88 mph

its already open though so theres nothing they can do now. thats all im saying
    But that kind of reaction is what pisses me off. Its like the people that run the park don't even care anymore. This is a THEME Park. Emphasis on theming. This is what makes the other parks different. This is why Disneyland is superior! If they don't focus more on major details like this, this park will become another Knotts, or worse Six Flags where themeing rarely or never exists. You lose one attraction to appeal more to what the public wants but you destroy Walt's purpose of the park.

-Adidas

• DL Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by classicskid View Post
    I agree one hundred percent and have made my opinion known whenever the topic comes up. Ridiculous! BUT... Fantasyland already has 13 rides.. so they should've thought harder than Nemo and just redone the subs to be more futuristic with a different theme. But that's just me, apparently.
    Even though I agree with the premise of the topic creator....

I think if they could have done a different Subs theme they would have a while ago. The Nemo movie gave them a good idea to reopen the Subs

The Subs have been closed for what... 13 years or so?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Jeronius View Post
    But thats exactly my point. To avoid this problem, simply reopen this new attraction as a Fantasyland Attraction. In that way, its Fantasyland CM's that will work.

But thats besides the point. Finding Nemo is NOT in any way about "Tomorrow".
    I question if you've even everienced the new Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. I expect as a Cast Member and a resident of Irvine, you have, so with that said, did you listen to the Captain's narration? The Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage still taking us to see an active underwater volcao, we just happen to encounter Nemo and his friends along the way. Not only that, but the Submarine Voyage lets us experience "new technology" - afterall, without those hydrophones we wouldn't be able to hear Nemo and his friends talk.

Now that I've experienced the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, I see no issue with the theming whatsoever. Its still intended as a futuristic excursion through liquid space to see an active underwater volcano. Only now, we just happen to see some familiar friends along the way and eavesdrop on them.

I see more of an issue with Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters in Tomorrowland, as Buzz Lightyear is a contemporary toy that if anything, belongs in a Toon Town or Fantasyland type setting... or even Star Tours and the Jedi Training Academy, as both of those attractions' source material is set "a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away."

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• 88 mph

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    I question if you've even everienced the new Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. I expect as a Cast Member and a resident of Irvine, you have, so with that said, did you listen to the Captain's narration? The Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage still taking us to see an active underwater volcao, we just happen to encounter Nemo and his friends along the way. Not only that, but the Submarine Voyage lets us experience "new technology" - afterall, without those hydrophones we wouldn't be able to hear Nemo and his friends talk.

Now that I've experienced the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, I see no issue with the theming whatsoever. Its still intended as a futuristic excursion through liquid space to see an active underwater volcano. Only now, we just happen to see some familiar friends along the way and eavesdrop on them.
    I was one of the first after the CM's that work at Nemo to ride the submarines. which was June 2nd. But thats exactly my point though. We didn't NEED hydrophones to watch Finding Nemo. The entire cast of Finding Nemo could already talk! Thats like saying Toy Story mania belongs in Tomorrowland since we developed technology to be able to see Toys talk and breathe and call it Plastic-o-phones! It just feels cheap and added last minute. It was like, oh crap, this attradction is still in Tomorrowland, quick give it something riduculous that makes the fish speak in english and completely ignore the fact that this already happens in the movie!

-Adidas

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post

I see more of an issue with Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters in Tomorrowland, as Buzz Lightyear is a contemporary toy that if anything, belongs in a Toon Town or Fantasyland type setting... or even Star Tours and the Jedi Training Academy, as both of those attractions' source material is set "a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away."
    star wars is supposed to be a story told by someone far into the future about our near future, does that make sense?

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast