Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Playing Bumper Cars on the Autopia

Quote Originally Posted by ZedIzDead View Post
    In all my years I never got bumped! I guess I'm lucky.
    Oh man, you did it...you just jinxed yourself
    "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Individuality is a great thing....as long as we think alike.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Autopia cars have seen seveal upgrades since their inception. I submit that they and the roads that they trasvel on have always been futuristic. Realize that this point is likely highly moot to some. Nevertheless, the attraction features clean cars and good, well maintained roads. When's the last time that you have driven on a freeway without comming across areas of disrepair?

It is likely that electric cars (like those at HKD), fuel cell, or a hi-brid were to take the place of the current generation. Sure, this would not represent a distant future, but it would promote a technology that we will all have up the road a bit. A few of the most afluent already posses the alternative fuel systems mentioned here. For most of us, though, a replacement for the gas guzzling internal combustion engine lies ahead in the next decade or two...or three.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Quote Originally Posted by 1disneynut2another View Post
    My second question was serious. Does anyone know how many cars go down everyday because of bumping?
    I don't know the answer but I will say that last September my car had to be pulled out of service. My sister was behind me and she said sparks were coming out of my car big time. We told a CM and he said, "That's not good." And as soon as I got out of the car they pulled it off the line.
    "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Individuality is a great thing....as long as we think alike.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDisney View Post
    I hate it! I nearly got out of the car and had some Autopia Rage on the kid behind me once....

Once could be an accident, twice a really dumb driver, three or more times is a brat kid with an agenda!
    Please refrain from smoking, drinking, littering, ramming...and psychotic encounters with the auto-peons in front of and behind you.

• The Tomorrowland One

Lets see... Its on the dashboard of your car, the back of the car in front of you, and on SEVERAL signs through out the high way. You are also told to not bump before you leave the station, and if necessary, by the CM who is walking around the track, the CM at the off-road section (over the PA none the less) and up to the CMs at the start of the station. Gee, you think you are not supposed to bump the cars?

And bumping of the cars is what the attraction goes down for most of the time. Unlike Space (or the other roller coasters), station backup does not cause a down time. So it is rare to see Autopia (not Autotopia... Why does everyone call it that?) down. But they will also go down if Nemo happens to go down and needs to e-vac due to the fact that the Highways are on top of the Subs building.

• Cherry Tart

*goes back into CM mode*

PLEASE do not bump the car in front of you! I had to say this many MANY times a day, so I'm strictly against it. We tell you not to bump, so please listen to what we say. I don't care if you're with your friends or not. No bumping allowed.

But I don't want to go among MAD people!

• Boogers are salty

Quote Originally Posted by Autopia View Post
    Autopia (not Autotopia... Why does everyone call it that?)
    Because Utopia means paradise and auto means car, if it was an actual word and not the name of the ride it would be autotopia
    Last edited by 1disneynut2another; 06-14-2007 at 04:27 PM.

• Inhospitable about happy

Actually, topia means "place."

• Boogers are salty

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Actually, topia means "place."
    Corrected, the word Utopia

• Captain EO! :D

Jeez, the CMs tell you not to bump into other cars, there are signs that say not to bump other cars... It makes me mad that some people still think it's okay to do it! If you want to ram other people, go somewhere else and ride bumper cars.
    ----------------------------------------

Jennifer

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by littlecricket View Post
    *goes back into CM mode*

PLEASE do not bump the car in front of you! I had to say this many MANY times a day, so I'm strictly against it. We tell you not to bump, so please listen to what we say. I don't care if you're with your friends or not. No bumping allowed.
    Littlecricket is to be greatly admired for advising us on her own time the importance of not tearing up the Autopia cars. Banging into a stranger can ruin their day - especially a kid or senior.

Engaging in destructive horseplay with friends can be a lot of fun. I know - I've done it myself. The fact is that it damages the cars, and takes them out of operation for who knows how long. Fewer cars mean lowered capacity and longer waits. This chain reaction continues to make miserable of other guests that arrive long after you are gone - and think of the poor mechanics.

I guess people have a lot of different reasons for playing bumper cars on the attraction. The justification that I gave myself was that the ride is too damn slow - and I know it's because of anal retentive lawyers, managers and insurance companies. As a result, I wanted to "get my money's worth" - and my jolly's off in doing so.

If you feel as I do about speed, look at the bright side. The Autopia cars travel like a rocket compared to Buzz Lightyear's omnimovers. My experience has been that they spend half the time at a dead halt - all you can do is turn them in place.

The on road / off road experience with the Autopia is great fun, if you give it a chance. The visual signage and scenery is immersive and cool. Disney/Chevron went to a lot of trouble to improve the ride experience for us. If anybody here has issues with the attraction as I do, contact guest communications. They really do listen. I've done this myself.

We're lucky Disney allows for the freedom that we enjoy on the ride. I for one am no longer going to take advantage of that fact - even if I have just cause. Thank you littlecricket. I totally respect you for pleading with people on your own time to do the right thing.

• Minion

I tend to avoid Autopia because I don't want to get bumped. One time there was this kid behind me....probably about 12 or 13...old enough to know better and he rammed into me when I had to stop because the car ahead of me had stopped. I let that one go because maybe he didn't see me or something. It happened again a couple of minutes later. I turned around and asked the kid to please stop bumping into me. I guess he thought I was joking around because he did it one last time towards the end of the ride and this time I lost it and jumped out of my car and walked over to him. His eyes damn near popped out of his head when I leaned down and said a few choice words in regards to his behavior and that if I ever saw him again outside the safety of Disneyland security I would beat the living shiznits out of him. Hopefully he learned a lesson but I kinda doubt it.

Anyways, I avoid it now. If I have a craving to drive minature cars I'll borrow my sisters mini cooper.

There is a reason that it says no bumping all over the place! There are several ways to cause damage or cause the ride to go 101 from bumping and it's just plain no fun to be repeatedly rammed (by a car) even if it's only at 6.5 miles per hour. If you want to play bumper cars, why don't you try it with your own cars instead of Disney's? That sounds like a plan.

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

I like bumping cars....AS LONG AS THEY ARE PEOPLE THAT YOU KNOW!!! Cant be a total stranger...thats just rude

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

• Popular Princess

I don't like the idea of bumping the car ahead of you even if you know the person. People can get hurt very easily even if it's only minimally. For example, I was on the ride a few years ago and someone bumped my car really hard and I jammed my finger on the steering wheel. My finger has never been completely straight since then.
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast