Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Playing Bumper Cars on the Autopia

I HATE THE AUTOPIA!!!

1) It is smelly -- all the gas fumes are nauseating
    2) It is boring -- I've been driving for almost 23 years and the last thing I want to do at Disneyland is drive around some more
    3) It is hard to drive -- I can leg press over 300 pounds and my leg still can't keep that #*%&# gas pedal held down throughout the whole ride
    4) The lines are way too long, or I should say, they last too long.
    5) People bump into you (I wonder if anyone has given another the "salute" that accompanies bouts of road rage)

I think I rode the Autopia only once in the last 10 years or so, and that was just a couple of months ago, and the only reason for that was to try to see if I could see any progress being made on the subs (wasn't too successful at that, just so you know)

Yes, I hate the Autopia, but it is a Disneyland original, so I would definitely hate to see them take it out.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Kids who don't have licenses love it. I go on it a lot because my daughters dig it. For my own sake, though, it's pretty weak.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by Motorboat Cruiser View Post
    Did you also call out Anthony Hopkins for not being a cannibal in real life?
    This device kills fascists.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aaronpaulcustoms View Post
    I like bumping cars....AS LONG AS THEY ARE PEOPLE THAT YOU KNOW!!! Cant be a total stranger...thats just rude
    I dont care if I know you or not, dont bump the other cars! There are reasons that there are signs up saying not to bump them, so just dont.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Disney Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by wickeddisneygurl View Post
    I don't like the idea of bumping the car ahead of you even if you know the person. People can get hurt very easily even if it's only minimally. For example, I was on the ride a few years ago and someone bumped my car really hard and I jammed my finger on the steering wheel. My finger has never been completely straight since then.
    I agree! Even if it's someone I know, I would get VERY MAD at them if they did it, even as a joke. I've been hit before with the ones at WDW, and it HURTS ALOT... It's just like a regular car - they're not MEANT to be hit against each other. My mom got hit from behind and her neck snapped forward and it hurt for the rest of the day, and we had to leave sort of early from the park. Another time, a car that was about 10 yards away from another car began accelerating and completely SMASHED into the other car, and the back bumper fell off the car! The person hit ( an elderly man ) was taken to the hospital, but I don't know what happened from there. There is NO WAY that was an accident, as it was an ADULT driving the car that hit the man from behind, and he could have easily stopped before crashing. I always make sure that the person behind me is someone I know and trust, so I know I won't get crashed. Those cars, besides being smelly and uncomfortable to drive at times, are very dangerous.

• The Tomorrowland One

I like bumping cars....AS LONG AS THEY ARE PEOPLE THAT YOU KNOW!!! Cant be a total stranger...thats just rude
    Ya know... Read the back of the ticket some day. It is in rather plain text that you "must obey all safety signage, instructions and rules". That is part of the agreement you make upon entering the park. So, remember, you are risking up to, and possibly including, expulsion from the park if you do not obey.

It is not ok to bump the cars. You can lock the bumpers or de-rail the cars. Now if it accidental, it is one thing. I've seen it where a parent was following his kid too closely and hit the car and locked the bumpers as a result. That was an accident. But I don't think they would be too happy with you if they saw you doing it on purpose. So save your self the hassle by just not doing it, eh?

That's a wonderful mentality ... I hope you follow safety signage at other attractions where others could get even more seriously injured. You do realize that stupid actions are the reason for a good portion of autopia's 101's. Just remember that next time you see it closed, or want to ram your friend.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Just because they have bumpers, people think you're supposed to play bumper cars - and that's just not true. I have seen many heads thrown back because some knucklehead rammed them with their Autopia vehicle - and that's not cool at all. It can cause serious injury.

Our cars come with bumpers too - but I don't see people intentionally playing bumper cars with those.

• Happiest Girl On Earth

I had an awful bumper-car experience once on the Autopia...

I was behind a really young girl and her father, and naturally the girl couldn't always keep her foot on the pedal so she would slow down and stop - having been a driver in a real car, I knew that I should probably take my foot off of the pedal when the person ahead of me slows down.

WELL. The person behind me didn't understand this concept, and would always hit me when I would stop. Once we got off of the ride, the girl behind me (who was no more than 10 years old) was talking to her brother about how the person in front of her was always stopping for no good reason - so offensive to talk about someone because you never know who's around!

I was trying to make the experience of a really young girl and her father pleasant and bumper cars-less, but the girl behind me decided to be snotty and rude about it.

I don't think that there's ever a good reason to play bumper cars, even if it's people you know. I guess I don't like to break rules?...

There I was somewhere West of Tomorrowland
    Flying through the stars just like
    Peter Pan
    I said...Dang this looks too good to be true...

It's a nice day when you wake up in
    Disneyland...
    -Five For Fighting, "Disneyland"

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LittlePrincess1230 View Post
    I guess I don't like to break rules?...
    Breaking these rules can result in breaking your neck. You're smart.

• California Golden Bear

But playing bumper cars on the Autopia is so much fun! I know, I know, it's bad... but it's fun, so why don't they have actual bumper cars? Seems like bumper cars would be a perfect fit on Paradise Pier.
    After driving on so cal freeways you need place to safely crash into other cars to get that urge out of your system.
    "Once a man has tasted freedom he will never be content to be a slave. That is why I believe that this frightfulness we see everywhere today is only temporary. Tomorrow will be better for as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life. All men will want to be free and share our way of life... I thank God and America for the right to live and raise my family under the flag of tolerance, democracy and freedom."
    -Walt Disney, March 1, 1941

“Whatever success I have had in bringing clean, informative entertainment to people of all ages, I attribute in great part to my Congregational upbringing and my lifelong habit of prayer. To me, today, at age sixty-one, all prayer, by the humble or highly placed, has one thing in common: supplication for strength and inspiration to carry on the best human impulses which should bind us together for a better world. Without such inspiration, we would rapidly deteriorate and finally perish. But in our troubled time, the right of men to think and worship as their conscience dictates is being sorely pressed. We can retain these privileges only by being constantly on guard and fighting off any encroachment on these precepts. To retreat from any of the principles handed down by our forefathers, who shed their blood for the ideals we still embrace, would be a complete victory for those who would destroy liberty and justice for the individual.”
    Walt Disney, Deeds Rather Than Words

• When Will It Return?

^ Tuck n' Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies

Seriously does everyone just ignore all the 'do not bump the car ahead of you' signs or are these people blind as well as deaf? The CM points out the sign on your Autopia car's dashboard to not bump, as well as reminds you everytime you take off in one. In one ear & out the other or what?

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Captain EO! :D

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    Seriously does everyone just ignore all the 'do not bump the car ahead of you' signs or are these people blind as well as deaf? The CM points out the sign on your Autopia car's dashboard to not bump, as well as reminds you everytime you take off in one. In one ear & out the other or what?

-- PMM
    You know, this is one reason that CMs get so frustrated and cranky sometimes. Not just at the Autopia, but everywhere. They tell people the rules, But there are always a few people that have this attitude that the rules, even safety rules, just don't apply to them. They think, Oh, I paid to get in here, I can do whatever I want.
    ----------------------------------------

Jennifer

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1313HarborBlvd View Post
    But playing bumper cars on the Autopia is so much fun! I know, I know, it's bad... but it's fun, so why don't they have actual bumper cars? Seems like bumper cars would be a perfect fit on Paradise Pier.
    After driving on so cal freeways you need place to safely crash into other cars to get that urge out of your system.
    Um no its not fun. Its actually kind of painful. If you want to play bumper cars I suggest you go on a ride that are ACTUALLY bumper cars.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Sector Two Droid Repair

I once got trapped between a couple of kids on the Autopia. The kid in front of me would come to a complete stop in areas where the CMs weren't. I would then stop while the kid in front of me kept giving me the finger. The kid behind me would then run full speed into the back of me. Once that happened, the kid in front would start up again and contine along for a little while and come to a stop again and the cycle would repeat.

I complained to every cast member on the way I came across and not one seemed to care. When we finally got off the ride, the kids high tailed it out of there while I was telling the CMs about this. I finally got ahold of the lead cast member that let me ride again without waiting. I was so mad at the end that I couldn't enjoy the second ride.
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

• Senior Minion

Autopia is NOT a bumper car ride, so don't make it one. Yet, it doesn't surprise me that there are some idiots out there who don't follow the rules ... just like some people cannot comprehend the concept of stay behind the yellow line.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast