Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Iron-Clad Allie

There are many destinations at the Disneyland Resort that Personal Rapid Transit could be put to good use. Primarily, it should be used to connect guests starting at the general parking facilty(s), Disney Hotel parking areas, and each entryway to the park. From these initial locations, PRT could connect with Downtown Disney, Disneyland's Tomorrowland, DCA's Condor Flats, the projected third gate, as well as the rumored waterpark.

Once inside Dineyland, guests would have the option of traveling thru or around attraction buildings, out over the autopia track and over the sub lagoon. The same scenerio would take place at DCA, only throughout the entire park. DCA really doesn't have any motion - with the exception of Paradise Pier.

• Banned User

The PRT system is the way WDW will be headed if I have anything to do with it. However, the PRT system needs to be tested before it is even thought about. It is too early for this technology. Right now these cars only hold 4 guests. Groups would need to be split up. The dual tracks would need to be super long for theme park loading and unloading stations, in some cases double the length of the current monorail stations.

There are too many problems safety wise that need to be addressed before this system is used in WDW. How do you implement safety gates for loading and unloading? How do the doors open and close without moving outward? The platform needs to be completely level, unlike all of the current WDW and DL monorails. (Doesn't Tokyo Disney have sliding doors and level platforms?)

WDW needs to use a PRT system that allows for more than 4 guests at a time, has room for strollers and wheelchairs without using a lift at all, and no need to worry about who sits where. The current PRT system is NOT ready for any type of implementation in Walt Disney World, but it is a technology that has very much promise in the future.

Even in Disneyland it is not ready to be used, simply because no new transportation system used in Disneyland should make you need to fold up a stroller.

A tomorrowland test would be good in looks, but to really test this system, you'd need at least 3 stations.

• Iron-Clad Allie

In consideration of the massive amount of money being poured into WDW's Monorail expansion that is supposed to occur withen the next few years, it looks doubtful that testing resources for PRT would be allocated at anytine soon. I hope that I/m wrong though. It would be great to have a system at both WDW and Disneyland.

In the meantime, it's marvelous news that we have a new ride to look forward to at DL that will replace the People Mover / Rocket Rods - even though nobody knows exactly what. If PRT comes to Tomorrowland, then each individual car would need to accomodate a higher capacity than four people, as with the prototype.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-27-2005 at 09:33 AM.

• Banned User

There are no current plans with any funding for monorail expansion in Walt Disney World at this time.

• Iron-Clad Allie

If the expansion is but a rumor, then the time may be prime for something like PRT - then again, that's IF.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-26-2005 at 09:27 PM.

• Lord of the Ribs

This is the culmination of an idea that started over a decade ago. In a study that came out of some university near Chicago (I think), the concept of smaller, independent cars that could travel dynamic routes, rather than larger trains of attached cars traveling fixed routes, was found to be much more supportive of the flexiblity everybody says they need when they justify commuting in their own cars.

Putting them on the old peoplemover track doesn't really make much sense other than adding some kinetic energy to the area (which isn't bad), but they'd have to seat at least six people or it would be a really low capacity attraction. Now, build a new attraction that spans the entire resort and allows some flexibility, and you'd really have something. And of course, at WDW, they'd be great.

Eat meat. Your daddy sez it's good for ya.

• Disney Secrets Master

Really Good Idea!
    Putting the um in forum. Um...

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    There are no current plans with any funding for monorail expansion in Walt Disney World at this time.
    It is very sad that Disney is not expanding its monorail service. It is not because it is not needed, because with so many more hotels and other destinations in the world, transpiration choices need to be expanded from just "Bus." WDW is so large that monorail service is probably more a necessity than at DL. I just cannot understand why Disney management cannot understand that riding a bus is really bad show. It might be cheap and efficient, but not fun or inviting. If Walt were here, there would be a monorail system that would rival the best in the world at WDW!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Supreme Chancellor

hey, I just watched Minority Report a few hours ago! They should move people around with pumpkins and mice turned into carriages and horses, or just keep them pumpkins and mice and see how far you get.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by BobPaar
    That is totally awesome. But it seems like an idea that would push out the monorail. What he say?

Monorail
    Out of Seatle?

or Disneyland.

I kinda like this kind.........http://www.skytran.net/01Homepage/Im...tle2%20web.JPG
    Last edited by sleepyjeff; 06-29-2005 at 09:51 PM.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• back in Austin

I think that would be way cool, even spread out to encompass the entire park (if it could be done non-intrusively). I like the idea of an individual (seats one or two with room for a stroller) train that takes you specifically where you need to go. And if you're with a larger group, they could program/chain several of these together to form a larger "train" which would take your whole family to the same place with no risk of anyone being separated.

Okay, as a Microsoft employee (though one not headquarted in Redmond) I am pretty excited about this concept coming to Microsoft. It would actually make it fun to visit the MS campus. Knowing the area fairly well on the map and the traffic/parking situation this makes a lot of sense (though the traffic/parking have gotten a lot better in the last five years). This concept, with bigger cars (maybe the size of one Monorail train) would make more sense to me at WDW though then Disneyland (unless they try to use this to link the big block of land they have that isn't attached to the other two parks).

• back in Austin

Lightbulb flexible track?

I would love it if the imagineers were given some time/money to develop this sort of new transportation concept. I'm still disappointed that monorails aren't more prevalent in our country but I know there are several reasons for that, including high initial cost and active light-rail lobbies. Still, the fun and excitement in having something like a monorail at DL was to test a new concept which would be useful elsewhere and maybe give a foretaste of the future.

One of the key innovations of this packet-mover is the lightweight ride vehicle and the resultant, less-expensive track. Here's what I wish the imagineers could do: top it off by working on a low-cost track that would be flexible and light-weight enough to allow for changes/additions to the track route! If the whole thing were modular and somewhat moveable, a city could invest in such a transportation scheme and then expand or modify it to fit their needs. This is something which current monorail and light rail schemes do not allow.

• ZiGzAg [C.C.C.]

ugh...they should put banks on the turn parts of the tracks and re-open the rocket rods ride

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12