Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

PacketMover: The Next-Gen People Mover

Check this out. While Microsoft may not do it, it could provide a cool thing for Tomorrowland, if done correctly. Each 'packet transporter', has a selectable destination, and like a mini-monorail, will switch and move itself to it's requested destination, where it will then either pick up new passengers, or go to a station where more passengers exist.

If done in a TL like-sence, you could do the traditional loop of TL, or stations could be set up to drop off passengers. A quite futureistic thing.
    -Monorail Man

That is totally awesome. But it seems like an idea that would push out the monorail. What he say?

Monorail

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    Well, I'm sorry, but in my opinion, it's too similar looking to the monorail.

Also, I am opposed to stations on the Peoplemover track. It really would not be very worthwhile, and speedramps going up high to a station would look ugly.

• insufferable know-it-all

If TL was the size of DCA, yeah, that would be cool.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• ºoº Tom ºoº

I love the visuals but I still say I would love to see something more along the lines of the vehicles from Minority Report. They certainly look better than this and that center capsal can rotate if you wanted to bank turns and build lifts to simulate how it could and would affect the next generation of transportation.

• Who's your DaddyB?

I think Walt would have loved it and embraced it in his parks. It would be especially nice in Florida... I wouldn't be at all suprised if it were implemented at Tokyo Disney, where they're not afraid to spend money, and as a culture are much more forward thinking.

On the other hand:
    While this would work well on a large business campus, I don't know if it's really suited to MASS transit with huge groups of people needing cars all at once, like at Disneyland. People loading and unloading would be slow, and I can imagine either the off-circuit load/unload ramps would have to be HUGE, or the packetmovers would backed up onto the main track disrupting traffic with people sitting in cars waiting to get out while slow moving gramma, grampas, and whole families take their time getting out or in over on the ramp itself. Business campus use would have a much smaller demand during the day than Disneyland even in the off season.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• that's right!

That would be awesome at WDW if they spent the millions of dollars to put stations EVERYWHERE

• The one, the only...

I would not put this in Tomorrowland. I would put this as a connector from the parking struction to Disneyland/ DCA and the main hotels. This would be cool to ride between your car and the park.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BobPaar
    That is totally awesome. But it seems like an idea that would push out the monorail. What he say?

Monorail
    How do you say it?

Monorail.

So the monorail in WDW goes. Kind of '60's technology anyway.
    Have it go to all the resorts. Just think: no more buses, neither too full or half-empty. Less pollution, less having to sit next to Stinko the Sweaty-Ball-of-Wetness.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

This I see as the future for America.

For Disneyland's Tomorrowland? Not enough room.

To create multiple stops in a packed area of only several acres .. does not seem logical.

A complete demolition and rebuild would be the only way to fit anything like inside TL. And is Disney going to rebuild TL?

Seems all they are willing to do ... and have up for the next decade or so ... Is the same "1967" infrastructure of buildings.

I loved the info and images on that link!! I'm hoping momentum is building to a new PM system for DL's TL.

(Anxiously awaiting any cool announcements on July 17th!!!!)

• the subs were cool maan

What if, since the monorail takes ppl from tomorrowland to the hotels, why not the peoplemover take people from tomorrowland to the parking structure huh? Or how about, if you decided to be UBER-crazy, you can make the people mover take you from tomorrowland to condor flats in DCA?

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    If TL was the size of DCA, yeah, that would be cool.
    Why not just put it in DCA, they need some more rides/attractions over there anyway. Maybe set it up so that it connects the 2 parks.

• Minion

Just theme them to "The Incredibles." Put them in DCA.

• Rock Star Minion

Just doesn't seem feasible as transportation for DLR. It's not big enough. Look at the link, and you'll see that the area proposed in MicroSoft-ville is quite stretched out, over current roads and such.
    This is why it might make a better match within WDW. Heck, if Orlando can get all of the parks and resorts to pony up, a system like this could cover the whole city with connections from the airport or the proposed bullet train depot.
    Then it's possible that it would eventually get embraced by the citizenry as well.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I hated Rocket Rods, but, effectively, it had the same capabilities as Personal Rapid Transit.

I think the original idea of Rocket Rods was to demonstrate Personal Rapid Transit. The "Magic Highways" film in the pre-show area described the idea.

All the vehicles were networked with each other, but they had the capabilities of moving independently and being able to transport users from different points of origin to different destinations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast