Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Re: AbandonedLand: Finding uses for the empty and unused parts of the Disneyland Res

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    That's the problem though......most of Disneylands visitors, be it AP'ers or multi-day passport holders don't pay enough for their 3rd, 4th, or 100th visit to warrant the outlay of so much cash.
    SleepyJeff and Mr. Liver are exactly right - even after Splash and Indy opened the length of stay for out of town guests reportedly did not increase - only when a new park was added did it change (which was why DCA was built). That, even unfortunate as it may be, is why you get parks like Disney Studios Paris and Animal Kingdom that truly are half (or in Paris' case 1/10th) of a real park, but they encourage people to add an extra day to their trip while a new attraction does not - they simply substitute their time in line for Nemo for what used to be motor boats or whatever was lowest on their list.

• Glad to hear: Flynn Lives

Re: AbandonedLand: Finding uses for the empty and unused parts of the Disneyland Res

Quote Originally Posted by wettham1783 View Post
    Definatly put a Monorail stop in DCA!!!
    If they re-route the monorail as they were talking about possibly doing. I could see a couple of stops in DCA. Shoot, they should put a station in the SF area and theme it like a BART station... not that BART stations are all that glamorous, but it would be a whole lot better than the facades they have now.

If they used booths similar to the BART ticket podiums, they could even handle the ticket situation from the parks. Either your admission pass or your AP could be used to open the gates. It would reject a single ticket from the wrong park. Nice and clean, of course, I am sure those gates are not cheep.
    Last edited by bytemaster; 06-17-2007 at 11:05 PM. Reason: added about the BART gates.
    Daffy: How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!
    Bugs: Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team The Ducks?

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    Very true! I predict that, in a few years, the Nemo "craze" will be over. Then, we will be left with the FNSV in DL, Turtle Talk in DCA, Seas with Nemo and Friends in Epcot, Finding Nemo the Musical in AK...not to mention more Nemo overseas. Finding Nemo only came out three years ago and already has been heavily franchised. If people still remember Nemo, Marlin, and Dory in 10 years, then maybe these attractions will have a long term future. Remember, the Fantasyland attractions were based off movies that were 10-15 years old, and people are still riding them 50+ years later. Only time will tell if Nemo, and the rest of the Pixar pals, for that matter, can live up to the Disney legacy of creating memorable characters.
    I think people need to be a little kinder to Pixar. After all, look back at the last 10 years of Pixar movies and look back at the last 10 years of Disney movies. Which has had the most success and critical acclaim? I think it is very telling that Disney acquired Pixar as soon as they could. Furthermore, I really think labeling Nemo as a craze is a flaw in the sense that Finding Nemo skyrocketed to being one of Pixar's most beloved movies, not to mention a smash hit at the box office. Although it may be unwise to base reaction off of financial success, I think it is very telling that Finding Nemo sold 8 MILLION DVD units in its first day of release and is the biggest selling DVD of all time, at about 27 million units as of December of last year. Pixar's characters are top notch to begin with. They are INSTANTLY realized as classics. They don't need decades to develop that status. You bring up a good point: It's been three years. In my line of experience, three years is a LONG time for something to maintain a fanbase. There's a difference between maintaining and expanding a fanbase and just keeping a constant fanbase. Expansion means you are keeping old fans and getting new ones. Stagnation means that the old fans are moving on and new ones are replacing them. Frankly, I haven't seen this happen with any of Pixar's movies in my own experience. My parents grew up with all of the classics that now inhabit Fantasyland and still go strong, while my generation grew up with the unfortunately short lived Renaissance of Disney animation and the advent of Pixar.

I agree that WDI has the creativity and imagination to give us attractions that will stand the test of time without being carried by film or TV characters, but at the same time, the vast pool of resources that WDI can draw from film and TV have proven to produce some of the best received attractions in the last decade. As for why the classics stand, one can attribute many different reasons to them, yet at the same time, it is a very realistic fear that future generations may not look upon these rides in the same light that we do.

However, at the same time, despite my desire for WDI to be given the room to play and imagine, I know that the corporate attitude simply isn't right and probably never will be right ever again for them to do so. I mean, Disney, realistically, is a business and corporate would be crazy to not take advantage of marketable characters where they can. Sometimes, they can actually fit (I am so strongly of the opinion that Nemo fits where it's been used (with a slight exception going to AK, maybe), while other times, they definitely come across as exploited.

Looking back on it though, for every awesome original attraction over the past decade, you have at least two or three attractions that derive inspiration from film or tv that are just as awesome and well received. As long as it fits and makes some semblance of sense, I'm happy with it because I understand that unless Walt Disney himself possesses Iger, the chances of going back to a time when the almighty dollar wasn't the first and foremost point of Disney are slim to none. Thankfully, we have people inside the company that can work around that and continue to provide us with stellar attractions across the board, character based or not.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Twist_of_Fate View Post
    I think people need to be a little kinder to Pixar. After all, look back at the last 10 years of Pixar movies and look back at the last 10 years of Disney movies. Which has had the most success and critical acclaim? I think it is very telling that Disney acquired Pixar as soon as they could. Furthermore, I really think labeling Nemo as a craze is a flaw in the sense that Finding Nemo skyrocketed to being one of Pixar's most beloved movies, not to mention a smash hit at the box office. Although it may be unwise to base reaction off of financial success, I think it is very telling that Finding Nemo sold 8 MILLION DVD units in its first day of release and is the biggest selling DVD of all time, at about 27 million units as of December of last year. Pixar's characters are top notch to begin with. They are INSTANTLY realized as classics. They don't need decades to develop that status. You bring up a good point: It's been three years. In my line of experience, three years is a LONG time for something to maintain a fanbase. There's a difference between maintaining and expanding a fanbase and just keeping a constant fanbase. Expansion means you are keeping old fans and getting new ones. Stagnation means that the old fans are moving on and new ones are replacing them. Frankly, I haven't seen this happen with any of Pixar's movies in my own experience. My parents grew up with all of the classics that now inhabit Fantasyland and still go strong, while my generation grew up with the unfortunately short lived Renaissance of Disney animation and the advent of Pixar.

I agree that WDI has the creativity and imagination to give us attractions that will stand the test of time without being carried by film or TV characters, but at the same time, the vast pool of resources that WDI can draw from film and TV have proven to produce some of the best received attractions in the last decade. As for why the classics stand, one can attribute many different reasons to them, yet at the same time, it is a very realistic fear that future generations may not look upon these rides in the same light that we do.

However, at the same time, despite my desire for WDI to be given the room to play and imagine, I know that the corporate attitude simply isn't right and probably never will be right ever again for them to do so. I mean, Disney, realistically, is a business and corporate would be crazy to not take advantage of marketable characters where they can. Sometimes, they can actually fit (I am so strongly of the opinion that Nemo fits where it's been used (with a slight exception going to AK, maybe), while other times, they definitely come across as exploited.

Looking back on it though, for every awesome original attraction over the past decade, you have at least two or three attractions that derive inspiration from film or tv that are just as awesome and well received. As long as it fits and makes some semblance of sense, I'm happy with it because I understand that unless Walt Disney himself possesses Iger, the chances of going back to a time when the almighty dollar wasn't the first and foremost point of Disney are slim to none. Thankfully, we have people inside the company that can work around that and continue to provide us with stellar attractions across the board, character based or not.

I LOVE PIXAR. But with that said, I think FINDING NEMO Submarines is the only Pixar attraction I really enjoyed.

Monstes Inc Mike & Sulley To the Rescue was rather disappointing... from outside in. If all the animatronics were like Roz, it would help, but even if they weren't, the ride is still pretty boring (perhaps it's the large vehicles that kill the intimacy of a dark ride attractiton?).

Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters is fun, but feels really cheap; especially the queue.

Turtle Talk w/ Crush is cute and amusing.

Toy Story Midway Mania looks to be nothing too special so far. Fun but not much substance.

Monsters Inc Laugh Floor I will see in October, but not something I would have greenlit.

Cars Race Rally has good theming but that's it.

Crush Coaster looks cool, can't wait to ride it.

Finding Nemo Living Seas makes perfect sense.

So wow.... FINDING NEMO is really the winner out of all this. Everything themed to that movie is pretty solid.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

the shake place rules, its usually open tho
    5 days a week

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678