Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Master of Disaster

Question Disney hurting thier own tourism?

So I had an interesting thought and I wonder what you guys all think about this.

With Hong Kong Disney opening up soon I wonder what sort of effect this will have on tourism. ive also heard rumors that disney is still looking in australia as a possible site for a theme park. So my question is this.

Do you think that Disneyland can keep growing in attendance year to year when all the tourists are getting parks opening up in thier own (relative) back yards? Will these other parks cause a drop in tourist attendance at Disneyland? Now when i go to disneyland I notice the asian tourists but now that i think about it i dont see many european tourists in the park. Maybe I'm just not noticing but with disneylad paris you see where my thoguht process is going.

anyway just a thought. what do you think?

• e komo mai

If it thins out the numbers a little at DL, then I think it's cool. However, seeing as how lackluster HKDL is turning out to be, I don't think it will stop people from coming to see Walt's park.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by zugzug15
    So I had an interesting thought and I wonder what you guys all think about this.

With Hong Kong Disney opening up soon I wonder what sort of effect this will have on tourism. ive also heard rumors that disney is still looking in australia as a possible site for a theme park. So my question is this.

Do you think that Disneyland can keep growing in attendance year to year when all the tourists are getting parks opening up in thier own (relative) back yards? Will these other parks cause a drop in tourist attendance at Disneyland? Now when i go to disneyland I notice the asian tourists but now that i think about it i dont see many european tourists in the park. Maybe I'm just not noticing but with disneylad paris you see where my thoguht process is going.

anyway just a thought. what do you think?
    Europeans are more likely to go to WDW. The cheap dollar will make travel to here a little cheaper than in the past.

I also don't think that it affects attendance any more than a million or so either way at DL. Maybe a little more at WDW, but DLP has been open for years now. I don't see any dent due to its opening. When TDS opened, it affected TDL more than the parks here.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Master of Disaster

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Europeans are more likely to go to WDW. The cheap dollar will make travel to here a little cheaper than in the past.

I also don't think that it affects attendance any more than a million or so either way at DL. Maybe a little more at WDW, but DLP has been open for years now. I don't see any dent due to its opening. When TDS opened, it affected TDL more than the parks here.
    yeah but has the attendance at disneyland grown as much as in the past since it opened? i mean percentage wise.

• The one, the only...

I think that building amusement parks in Asia does affect the attendance. I remember growing up seeing large groups of Japanese in suits going to Disneyland. That has all disappeared. Chinese have never been a large segment of tourists to Disneyland so I do not think that Hong Kong would affect it much. I do believe that an Australian Disneyland would keep many down under. But they have not been a large demographic either.

I think that as long as they put new, exciting rides in at Disneyland, attendance will continue grow. Not because of foreign tourists, but because of the huge population increase in California and in the west in general.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• The Candidate

I read somewhere that Japanese tourism actually increased after Tokyo Disneyland opened up. They liked what they saw and wanted to experience the original. However, Japan's continued economic slump has hurt tourism here.

• Banned User

This is also a possiblity:

I don't think Disney is nessecarily hurting their own attendance or affecting how much money they make. How many of us yet to/have/want to visit Walt Disney World, Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney, and now Hong Kong Disneyland? Americans, especially those of us that are Disney fans, still long to travel all over the world just to see other Disneyland's. I know I plan on visiting Disney World and taking a cruise with Disney Cruise Line this December for my second time only in 15 years, and I also plan on tkaing a trip to Disneyland Paris (resort) around 2007. From there, hopefully I will some how make it to Tokyo and eventually to Hong Kong and who knows? Maybe even Disney Australia or Inida(I think those are the worst places to build though) in the far future. However, I think if they build too many of them, say 7 or more, then they will tire out and turn into a Disney Store situation..

• Official Mice Chat person

I say they stop building them once they are done with HKDL.

Most of DL's Tourists are from America anyways, so I don't think it should effect anything. I still see a lot of asians in the park, even with TDL open.

• CM for 4 years!

I think that building in Australia would harm attendance, because you guys aren't really aware of how many Aussies I seat in my restaurants on a daily basis. About 5% of my restaurant guests are Australian, and that's a sizeable amount for a country so faraway.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

As much as it does effect the rate at which people visit or are willing to travel to the Disney parks, the expansion of the Disneyland model is overall a good thing. As a corporate entity, the Walt Disney Company may be hurting themselves by relocating tourists to their respective homelands.

I like to think though, that if Walt Disney were still alive, he would have changed his original dream. Disneyland would no longer be a place where children and parents could have fun together. Disneyland would now be a place where children and parents of all economies and all nations could laugh, play, and have genuine fun together.

On the other hand, by allowing the magic of Disneyland to expand to all audiences, Disney in the long run could be improving their influence. They should not expand to the state of Six Flags, but maybe a third destination within the states, and perhaps a more American friendly European location would help spread the magic.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I think the AP program does more to harm Disneylands tourist dollar then anything they build overseas
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Senior Minion

What about Global Population Growth? California is growing Like weed.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

First, there was Disneyland. A one-and-only original. Then came WDW in Florida. Then, one by one, other Disney "lands" across the globe. Today, the original in Anaheim is packed to near capacity on a regular basis. The other parks help siphon off the overflow. Imagine... if Disneyland, Anaheim was the only place to go... it would probably fill to capacity by noon every day. Thank goodness for the other parks. They give others the ability to visit a Disney park without having to spend mega-bucks for airfare... and spare our original Disneyland from closing its gates at noon every day.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information
    Disneyland , the original landmark park will always draw. It's past, present and future and so much more. It's Southern California, it's Hollywood to most of the world. Movie Stars, beaches, glamour, etc. And Shamu and the San Diego Zoo are right down the freeway...

• Having a Grand Day!

About Australia-

The latest articles I have heard have them sujesting it be built up north with the rest of the Theme Parks. Totaly the wrong place IMHO. It needs to be built in Sydney... Or even better not at all... Disneyland Is my main excuse to travel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast