Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Just splashing around...

The reception of TSI vs. Nemo

I just had a thought. When Tom Sawyer Island had its Pirates makeover, there was quite a bit of outrage (including from myself) at the destruction of a "classic" just to make it more marketable today. But I haven't heard (or personally feel) much outrage at all about the Submarines being Nemo-ized. Essentially the same thing happened with both attractions. Two old chestnuts were given shiny new movie-themed clothes to appeal to a newer audience. So I was wondering... could this difference in reception be due to the fact that the Subs were closed for so long before anything was done with them, so we are happy to see anything finally open? Maybe the amount of time they were closed gave us ample time to grieve their loss and we are ready to welcome something new, whereas the TSI takeover happened so quickly? While I still do, and always will, have a soft spot for the subs and am very sorry to see them go (it was a favorite as a kid), I somehow don't feel that it was such a travesty to turn it into Nemo as I do feel about Pirates on the island. And I never really cared all that much about the island in the first place, while I did love the subs (though why they didn't turn the Subs into The Little Mermaid I will never understand ).

Please, a churro for your thoughts.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Re: The reception of TSI vs. Nemo

I must be one of the rare few on MC who wasn't upset over the TSI changes and I'm still not. Pirates Lair gets more people on the island and that's great! That place was so horrible after the lawyers were finished with it so I'm glad it's alive again. I was very excited over the subs coming back. For some reason, I do not remember the older ones so going on Nemo on Monday was all new to me. I am very pleased with both changes on TSI and the Subs. Welcome back Subs!!! Now we can only have some wishful thinking for the People Mover and moving the rocket jets back up where they belong!

• 88 mph

I kinda have to agree with the TSI change. Although I'm not a fan of sticking Pirates everywhere, TSI was a dying land before the change.

It can use some attention.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the hype over Pirates Lair has died down greatly and I've seen people just go over to the island just for the show and then leave.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Minion

Actually ive seen alot of outrage about the subs. I am sad that we dont have an updated version of the original subs, i am mad that they closed the subs in 1998 instead of 2002 or whenever they decided to start work on nemo, you dont have to close an attraction to THINK about what your going to do with it.

Someone told me that the little mermaid wouldnt work because of the time difference, we would essentially be going back in time, in a sub, to view ariels world. But i would have LOVED to have the little mermaid subs, or atlantis, or the original back. Imagine in the dark portion of the ride going through ship graveyard with flounder and having that shark attack us. An ursulas cave, and build prince erics castle by the end above water(that might be too big) and see all of ariels sisters combing there hair and coming out of an animatronic shell. ohh the possiilities.

Before this thread derails, I'd like to clarify a couple things. I am refering the the reaction of the mass population at large (not just the individual opinions of us die-hards here on the boards...). I was MUCH more aware of public outcry and controversy in the media over the TSI makeover, and I have heard little public arguement about Nemo. Sorry, should have made that more clear.

• Minion

oh i get it well then in that case i understand, there is less public outcry. i think its because

1. the subs have been gone for so long
    2. people dont remember the subs
    3 people didnt like the subs
    4. anything nemo related must be cute and fun

ahha

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by ltlmrm8 View Post
    Before this thread derails, I'd like to clarify a couple things. I am refering the the reaction of the mass population at large (not just the individual opinions of us die-hards here on the boards...). I was MUCH more aware of public outcry and controversy in the media over the TSI makeover, and I have heard little public arguement about Nemo. Sorry, should have made that more clear.
    Well, okay, besides MC, I haven't heard any crying and complaining about TSI changing. Never.

Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post

Someone told me that the little mermaid wouldnt work because of the time difference, we would essentially be going back in time, in a sub, to view ariels world. But i would have LOVED to have the little mermaid subs, or atlantis, or the original back. Imagine in the dark portion of the ride going through ship graveyard with flounder and having that shark attack us. An ursulas cave, and build prince erics castle by the end above water(that might be too big) and see all of ariels sisters combing there hair and coming out of an animatronic shell. ohh the possiilities.
    Yes, it would have been a beautiful thing, indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626 View Post
    Well, okay, besides MC, I haven't heard any crying and complaining about TSI changing. Never.
    There were articles in the media, at least locally.

• Inhospitable about happy

If TSI had been actually closed for 9 years before the PL overlay, we'd have a comparable situation. Replacing Something with Something Else will always generate heat. Repacing Nothing with Something...not so much.

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

the subs: they were closed for so long that i'm just happy to see them return, plus nemo is the perfect setting for submarine voyage

TSI: while I don't like the idea of slaping pirates everywere in the park from a marketing standpoint it does make sense, modern kids today don't know who tom sawyer , huck finn & mark twain are. from what i've herd there were pirates in twains books so. . .ok i'll run with that
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by thrax View Post
    from what i've herd there were pirates in twains books so. . .ok i'll run with that
    I'd suggest running to your nearest library, where with some enjoyable effort on your part, you will discover that there were no pirates in Twain's Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn books.

• Minion

those river bandits, the bankers or whatever that are running from the law, they impersinate some family friends that live in england so they can get the rich familys money, maybe thats what people think justifies the pirates lair invasion.

• Closed Account

I believe you're speaking of the "Duke" and the "Earl."

They're con artists, but not pirates in the least.

The passages that Disney relied on for their all-too-flimsy backstory can be found in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, where for a couple chapters, Tom, Huck and Joe (Harper, not Injun) pretend to be pirates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast