Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Cowboy, Bear, Pirate, etc

Real Merchandise? or More Disney *&^%$

Hey all! Remember when you could go shopping at Disneyland?

There was a time when you could go to the Clock Shop and buy a clock. There was a time when you could buy clothes (like Pendleton) that didn't have a giant Mickey face all over it. (Sorry, Mickey, no offense.) You could buy yourself a real life antique out in N'awlins Square, or an Indian trinket at the Pioneer Mercantile.

Wasn't it better that way? Wasn't it more fun? Wasn't it more authentic? I used to get a ton of my gift shopping done at the Park, but not anymore. So how about it, let's have some real China in the China shop. Let's have some real cookware back in New Orleans. Who's with me?

Re: Real Merchandise? or More Disney *&^%$

I am definitely with you. My mom was so upset when we took her to the 50th Anniversary and she saw the shopping. It was all the same in every store. She wanted to know what had happened. The shopping, imo, has become pretty pathetic.

I treasure my little hurricane lamp that had been sold in Frontierland back in the early early '70's. Price tag and all DL stickers are still on the bottom of it The lamp, plus tax (the price tag even has the tax on it) was $1.05. I know we can't have these kind of prices anymore, but this type of merchandise is truly missed by so many of us.
    "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Individuality is a great thing....as long as we think alike.

• Banned User

I miss the quaint little authentic shops that used to dot the park. I especially miss the One of a Kind Shop, and am still hoping that it will return some day.

While we buy maybe one park specific item per visit, we used to purchase a lot more at Disneyland when our choices were greater.

• DL Nerd

I hate being able to buy pirate gear in tomorrowland & adventureland.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Disney Starved in AZ

yeah, it is the same Made in China stuff in every store these days.... pirates has been WAY over promoted (especially for this last one) and it used to be nice to be able to go ONE place for Christmas ornaments, ONE place for hats, ONE place for crystal things and ONE place for pins... it is MAJOR overkill now! There used to be a shop (a long time ago) I think it was the premier shop, it was where the BLAB fast pass machines are now... that was the coolest shop, also used to love the Emporium... but IMHO WoD is the only place that should have EVERYTHING so you don't have to go into the parks if you don't want to!

• Fastest Man Alive

Disney sells the stuff that sells the most. Those one-of-a-kind shops, and selling china don't bring in the numbers. There is a reason that autograph books, Mickey Mitts, and lightchasers are everywhere. That is the stuff that sells.

• ~Mambo Italiano~

*Raises spear and Bangs sheild against chest*

I'M WITH YA!!!

• insufferable know-it-all

My mom stopped going to DL for that reason. She only ever went to shop. She can't ride most of the attractions because of her back, so when the shops all started carrying the same stuff (thank you, Pressler), it took all the fun out of going to each of the different lands and shopping in their stores.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Boogers are salty

I miss the Bra shop

• e komo mai

I agree. Every shop has the same stuff. Each shop should sell things appropriate to the land. Pressler made all the shops Disney Stores...

• Boogers are salty

You use to have to go to the right land and shop to get certain Items, it could be argued that this is more convenient but it is still not cohesive, they shouldn't have pirate mickey ears in tomorrowland, items should should be land exclusives.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Even with DisneyParks-esque merchandise it is possible to have more unique shops.

1. Departments could be divided by facades on Main Street.
    2. Maintain themes. So sell Tomorrowland autograph books and pins in Tomorrowland.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Great thread! I haven't thought about it, but you're absolutely right. It's become a great big Mickey Mouse mall. As much as I enjoy the Disney thing, I would love it if some of the old shops were back. I remember walking through Pendleton each trip and thinking about how nice those clothes were, and the perfume shop, and the antique store. I miss that stuff! That really was a tradition that started with Walt Disney himself, wasn't it?

That may be why I like the gallery so much. It's still a lot of Disney stuff, but there is enough that is different and special that you can't find elsewhere in the park.

Hopefully Disney will read this one and bring back some of the unique stores that made Disneyland special...

• Cowboy, Bear, Pirate, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Disney sells the stuff that sells the most. Those one-of-a-kind shops, and selling china don't bring in the numbers. There is a reason that autograph books, Mickey Mitts, and lightchasers are everywhere. That is the stuff that sells.
    I hear ya, but I don't think I agree. DL has always sold the kind of stuff you're talking about, but they used to sell more. Not just the 5 same items throughout the resort.

I think somebody decided back in the Pressler/Harriss era (and they were retail experts supposedly) that the company would make more money if they only sold Disney-branded merchandise. But like everything else they didn't understand, they are just cheapening the brand in doing so.

World of Disney might have a unique market for all things Disney if they acutally sold unique stuff in the Park. As it is, they just compete with each other and people probably shop less because they know they're just going to find the same crap everywhere they go. It's a bummer, man.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket View Post
    I agree. Every shop has the same stuff. Each shop should sell things appropriate to the land. Pressler made all the shops Disney Stores...
    And sadly, it caught on at WDW or maybe it's the other way around... maybe someone can shed some light on the history of this subject. But with the "Disney Parks" promotion, I'm afraid it's only getting a bit worse with less park specific merchandise, let alone attraction or land merchandise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast