Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• AKA: Indyiluvu

Mast and Sails behind New Orleans Square?

I was at the park last Wed night and in NOS between pirates and HM behind the buildings there was some masts and sails like there was a ship parked behind the buildings. Sorry I did not have my camera with me. Is there a place back there where the Columbia docks? Because i did not see it in the ROA at the time. Or was this something for gradnite? Anyone know? My cousins and I were debating what this was.

• Closed Account

Re: Mast and Sails behind New Orleans Square?

It's not the Columbia.

There are conflicting stories about the sails. Some say they were put there to disguise lighting fixtures; some say that they are there only as set-dressing to help set the mood/theme/era.

Personally, I believe the latter.

• Grim Grinning Ghost

I've always wondered about those too. Anyone know their purpose??-

"I Want That Simple Life"

B.F.F.=Brian Fyfe Forever
    4-8-1983 to 4-28-2010

• Fighter Pilot

it's what gives Disneyland its power

Here's something I posted in another thread on these ship masts:

I've heard stories of the masts being part of the old "Lights Fantastic" show itself, but I don't think they were really part of that show per se. But they did sorta come into being as a result of it. I believe they were built to cover some searchlights related to that show, where the Park was circled with light beams in the sky from various locations around the Park.

But there's more to the story.

Then Disney Imagineer (and huge Disney fan himself) Eddie Sotto had always admired a little bit of magic that Imagineer Herb Ryman and put into his now famous "New Orleans Square Overview" painting. Herbie had placed ship masts in the background of the painting. He had designed this to provide the illusion of there being a body of water back behind New Orleans Square. Similar to what was done with "It's A Small World" where they placed trees on the roof of the show building just behind the attraction's facade...to give the illusion that there was nothing but forest back there and to help hide the show building.

But unfortunately at the time of New Orleans Square's final design and construction...Herbie's fake masts got cut from the budget.

But great ideas never really go away.

Fast forward to when the light fixture thing came up (I think that was the reason)...Eddie literally jumped at the chance to dust off Herbie's original concept of the fake masts, and thereby killed two birds with one stone by building them just as Herbie had envisioned all those years ago.

I seem to recall at the time that Eddie even sacrificed some of his own "discretionary budget" to finish the job.

Just another one of those special touches and attention-to-detail that's the hallmark of (most) Disney theme parks...thanks mainly to Herbie and Eddie.

• Cowboy, Bear, Pirate, etc

They are there simply to intrigue and to give NOS a greater sense of scale. I'm pretty sure I learned that when I went through CM orientation back in the '80s. It's the perfect example of the little subliminal things Disney used to be known for.

• AKA: Indyiluvu

Thanks for the info! Are these taken down at all and then put back up? I don't remember seeing them before? Maybe I never looked at the skyline that closely before?

• Minion FOREVER!

Opus1guy, thanks! That's pretty much the same story I heard, although w/o the names...
    (Thank you for that!)

i have not once seen the sail. where is it located?
    pshhh i guess

• I'm not really here

(image courtesy of hiddenmickeys.org)

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
    • Proud Nerdist

They're not taken down, they're there all the time. I first noticed them about two years ago. (for all I know, they've been there 10 years!)

But I think they're really cool, it's one of those neat touches you see if you take the time to look around.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeMan33 View Post
    it's what gives Disneyland its power
    That's very true.

It's driven by the excess wind coming from TDA.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post

(image courtesy of hiddenmickeys.org)
    holy moly i've never seen that. it does look like theres a waterway behind those buildings.
    pshhh i guess

• I'm not really here

Yeah, it's those simply little details that you really don't consciously notice unless you look around very carefully. And they are all over the place at Disneyland. This is one of my favorites though. It adds so much depth. It makes you want to find an alleyway that leads back there to that boat and explore the hidden waterfront. Makes what is really just a single street and some shops seem so much bigger than it really is.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• e komo mai

I love those masts. It adds depth to the land. It makes it look like NOS keeps going past the buildings...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast