Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Share/Discuss/Rant About Disneyland's Main Street U.S.A.

Off topic, but ive never seen a christmas parade at disneyland. I bet thats like one of the ten commandments of disneyland.

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)

When I was little kid, I couldn't stand Main St. Other than the railroad there was never anything really interesting to see except climbing on the firetruck for 5 minutes (this 8 yo didn't care who that Lincoln guy was he wanted RIDES). Then I'd drag my folks to go to the other lands where there was actual rides to go on.

I don't think there's too much for little kids in that land most of all. However, for the older crowd (i.e. 13+) there's definitely more to be appreciated in there.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• Winter in Oceanside...

For me, Main Street is the most magical of DLR. Walt is definitely "there". I've been know to just go to Main Street and hang out there for a few hours - listening to the music, watching people, snacking on popcorn...

I do miss the smooth sidewalks (though I don't hate the cobblestone pavers). And I do miss the more unique shops instead of the same ol' thing everywhere.

I think the newly paved brick sidewalks gives Main Street a more visual appeal. The Magic Kingdoms smooth sidewalks don't do much for me.

I really like the charm and atmosphere of Main Street. I really loved the Emporium especially after its 2005 paint job. Prior to that it looked brutal. The shingles were broke everywhere and faded.

• ~Mambo Italiano~

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The Main Street Cinema. And Steamboat Willie really is playing inside.

Seriously, dude I always thought that was fake lol, I need to check that out on my next visit, thx!

We absolutely LOVE Main Street!!!

One of our favorite traditions is getting an ice cream at the Gibson Girl for breakfast (a late breakfast....they don't open until 11:30) and pulling up a curb to eat it. We love watching the people go by and listening to the awesome music that is playing while we eat. And, of course, I enjoy being able to glance at that gorgeous castle.

Hubby loves the coffee shop. My favorite store is the Disneyana. Son's favorite spot is the Red Wagon corn dog cart.
    "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Individuality is a great thing....as long as we think alike.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

I heart Main St.

Even as a kid, I loved the emporium windows and the Gibson Girl (I always wanted big hair like that.) Nowadays, I love the windows and the displays in the opera house and...everything.

Best thing about Main St = the drinking song from The Happiest Millionaire. + where else can you find the DAPPER DANS!!!?
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Knight that says Nee!!

I love Main Street when it's decorated for a holiday, especially Christmas. It's so magical.

One thing that makes me frown now though is the fact that it has been turned into basically an extention of the Disney store. With a few exceptions it has become a string of connected shops like a mall instead of the unique shops and attractions it used to have.

• A Beautiful Tomorrow!

So Iv said my love for Main Street now the thing like bugs me a little. Is the actual street pavement looks in need of replaceing. Id imagine though its pretty hard to re-pave such a long street that everyone walks on to get to other parts of the park. Otherwise thats all.

Oh another thing I love Town Square with all of its flowers in full bloom everyday.
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

• A Beautiful Tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    I love Main Street when it's decorated for a holiday, especially Christmas. It's so magical.

One thing that makes me frown now though is the fact that it has been turned into basically an extention of the Disney store. With a few exceptions it has become a string of connected shops like a mall instead of the unique shops and attractions it used to have.
    You should see MK's eekkk. Pretty sure there was a whole store section of Emporuim dedicated to Tinker Bell.

Halloween is getting pretty cool too now.
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

• Closed Account

Main Street was probably the "land" closest to Walt's heart. Claimed to be based on Walt's hometown of Marceline, Missouri, the street bears no resemblance whatsoever to the street Walt knew. Marceline's Main Street was unpaved, the thoroughfare being a dusty, cough-inducing path in the summer, and a nearly impassible mudpie in winter. On either side were telephone poles, not one of which stood perfectly upright. There was no horse drawn streetcar.

But the Disney's street is much more than reality; it represents not what the real Main Street was, but maybe what it should have been.

Disney states that Main Street represents America from 1890 to 1910--the crossroads of an era. What he meant was that electric light helps dispel the nighttime gloom alongside gas lamps (the electric lamps are located in the civic square, where such "modern" elements might first make their appearance; gas lamps line the rest of the street), and horse drawn vehicles share the right of way with internal combustion ones.

Main Street used to feel far more real. Lamp lighters used to light the gas lamps at dusk; you could open a bank account at the Bank of America, and the side streets even had street signs to tell you their names (East Center and West Center Streets). Now, those side streets aren't streets at all; the gas lamps don't even have mantles, and as many have noted, the stores are nothing but Disney shills.

Even the paint scheme has changed over the years, and I chafe against the new scheme every time I see it. Main Street's authentic Victorian palette has been replaced with pale pink pastels, and seemingly every separate brick in any given building merits its own color. The graceful wrought-iron skylines have been altered to hide light standards, and where hiding them would be impractical, they stand, like so many eyesores--in Town Square.

I, too, miss the smooth red pavement--meant to evoke a "red carpet" for Walt's guests.

Main Street used to be such a wonderful introduction to the Magic Kingdom. It's a shame so much has been lost to the non-creative types. But as Tom Sawyer Island evolves into a Caribbean atol in the middle of the American frontier, I shouldn't be surprised that most every vestige of Walt Disney has been cast assunder--including his beloved Main Street--the first land he deemed approppriate to build living space for himself. How long before the second floor of the Firehouse becomes just that much more retail space?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

Mainstreet reminds me of a place I ued to go as a kid. I had (have) family that lived in a small farm town in Indiana. While it wasn't exactly like Main Street it was similar and for me it's kind of like stepping back to being 10yrs. old again. That is what makes it special to me.

Just like anyone else, I don't like it when the street is crammed full of people, strollers, and unruly kids, but when I first walk onto Main Street in the morning and it's basically empty I'm reminded of a time in my childhood when everything was care free.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Thank you! Love it. I can't believe I missed that building on my last Disneyland trip. Can't wait to go back in December.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

I miss the Penny Arcade when it was full of vintage arcade games and nickelodeons. Not so much an expansion of the candy store! I do love the Blue Ribbon Bakery, always my last stop on my way out of the park at closing time.
    Last edited by wettham1783; 06-17-2007 at 02:42 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast