Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

more memories

I guess I go back too far.

When there was only 1 tower the top floor was a piano bar that had a great view of the Disneyland Fireworks. My wife and I would go there on a Summer evenings or after a Special Occasion dinner at the "Oak Room".

During my first trip to California, I stayed in one of the Garden Rooms.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Thumbs up

We always used to go to Disneyland, then hop on the monorail to grab a quick drink at the Hotel before returning to the park. No crowds and fairly decent prices then. Never stayed at the old Hotel, always wanted to though, but have at the new redesigned one. We had a great time and the service was fantastic. My daughter (8) never knew the old one and so she thoroughly enjoyed the new one, especially the pool.

• PLEASE REMAIN SEATED

old hotel ruled

yes the memories of the old hotel linger on. the monorail cafe before disney bought it was way cheaper and had good food and i think alcohol? theh lake and arcade were fun, i used to go to the art gallety and buy animation cels. the main store was mckeys toy box or something liek that thats wheer i USED to do my christmas shopping every year.thats gone now and the neon cactus/sgt prestons etc nice bar gone... why does disney company tear down its core to build gold painted garbage?? welli know so ppl that used to work for imagineering and they had no clue as to what was in the park they never wentto it more than a few times. pretty lame needless tosay after the new tommorowland they all got fired..

• Baybeh!

I miss the old Hotel. It seemed like it was on it's own little island.

Plus the cabana bungalows were a great place to stay for the weekend. You got your own patio and lots of trees blocking view into your room.

The Disneyland Hotel Mini Golf Course

Hey, this is bringing back so many memories. My first trip to California was in 1966 and I was lucky enough to stay in one of the bungalows with the patio. I moved here in 1970.

My MOST favorite thing was the mini golf course outside the hotel parking lot. I was thrilled to find that each hole was designed on a feature or attraction inside of Disneyland. I have such fond memories of this on my first trip. After moving here, the course became unkempt and fell into disrepair but I still loved to go there. It was removed sometime in the early 70s. <sigh>

Then there was that two-story, sixties-era building just past the big old gift shop, that had the toy store downstairs and... I think it was wedding planning upstairs. Anyhow, I just always liked the look of that building. The lines of it looked like it would have fit in with the 1967 Tomorrowland. I wish I still had a photo of it.

I noticed that the carved wooden bear that used to be outside of Sgt. Preston's is now at the Grand Californian, although he's got a few bits broken off now.

And I miss the "blue pencil test" animation art that was painted on the walls of the old Goofy's Kitchen.

But Monorail Cafe, darnit! They now have three hotels and DTD, so that's plenty of places that they could squeeze in a moderately-priced diner like Monorail. Why won't they do it? There's a need for something priced between PCH and Whitewater Snacks (is that the name?), especially someplace where you can have a nice breakfast before going to the park, without having to pay for a complete character buffet, then hop the monorail into Tomorrowland.

And I think I liked the merchandise selection better at the old DLH store than at World of Disney. It seems like you used to be able to get more park-exclusive merchandise without having to actually go into the park. Then again, maybe they just had more park-exclusive merchandise back then. Well, other than pins.

They took out Fantasy Water? When was this? Any news links? I remember watching that show whenever we stayed there. The last time I saw it was 2002. I was rather appalled. The water was filthy, several of the lightboards didn't work. It was a shadow of its self. It was like they set it on a timer and forgot it existed. Still, it saddens me to hear it go.

I miss the old setup. While i like the design of the Neverland pool, the marina was just classy. Staying at the Disneyland Hotel made me feel like I was in some extravagent grownup world. I loved the paddle boats, and the arcade.

I remember the last time I saw the place in tact. They had already replaced the marina though. I wasn't staying there at the time, and I took a friend who had never been to Disneyland there since we had a day before hitting the park. We hung out around the old olympic pool and hottub. We saw them closing up the old Goofy's Kitchen, oblivious as to the reason why(We actually ate at the new location the first or second day it was open). Afterwards, we ate at the Monorail Cafe since they let us come in after swimming. I had a Chubby Chedder, while my friend convinced them to let him order off the kids menu. It was the last time I ate there. I remember seeing the pics on the news sites later showing that entire area as a dirt field. It shocked and saddened quite a bit.

My second to last trip there, my family and I ate at Granvilles. I had had great memories of the place, but this time it seemed overpriced for it gave us. I remember talking to a castmember after asking him about the fireworks(it turned out he was the manager of Granvilles). I told him about Fantasy Waters and the absence of the Monorail Cafe and so on. I told him how ithe Hotel felt so different now, and that there didn't seem to be that much to it anymore. He told me that I wasn't the only one whom had spoken of this. According to him, Disney gets enough complaints about it, that they're considering reincorperrating that part of Downtown Disney back into the hotel. While I doubt that this would happen, it would be a nice gesture. I still have cups from the MC. I've stayed at the Grand Californian as well, and the DH is still my favorite of the three hotels.

Fantasy Water?

I have read "Fantasy Water" several times here. I remember it being called "Dancing Waters". Is Fantasy Water a newer name for it? Just curious. :confused:

• Magical Memories fanzine

ok now I am thouroughly depressed that I never got a chance to see any of this. I have never even seen the Disneyland hotel, it was always viewed as "off limits" growing up because of the price. And really it still is too expensive for me, but if I ever make my way back to Disneyland I am going to make sure to stop by and look at least. sigh. Pictures people please! yer killing me!

I prefer the landscaping for the new version, but I do miss the old monorail station and the Monorail cafe. And I miss the neon Disneyland Hotel sign that faced the park, tho they still have one facing the parking garage.

• -Going Retro-

The Monorail Cafe was the best. My favorite was the arcade as well. My parents would go have drinks and I would go to the arcade . I kind of miss the marina style it was nice to watch the paddle boats and the nice view from the rooms.

However, I can't complain about the Lost Bar where else can you go when Uva is closed? :o

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by disguy
    The Monorail Cafe was the best. My favorite was the arcade as well. My parents would go have drinks and I would go to the arcade . I kind of miss the marina style it was nice to watch the paddle boats and the nice view from the rooms.
    I agree, I LOVED the Monorail Cafe sooo much. I remember the last time we stayed at the DLH "old" it was Kyler's first trip to DL and I HAD to take him to the Monorail Cafe, granted he was only 18 months, but :o

As much as I love the Neverland Pool, there was something sooooo nice about the Marina I miss that.

Quote Originally Posted by Disguy
    However, I can't complain about the Lost Bar where else can you go when Uva is closed? :o
    Umm can I say.....TOTALLY AGREE!! But then you know that

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• the subs were cool maan

What about Strombolis? The place where you could get the BEST chocolate ice cream in little mickey head

• -Going Retro-

Quote Originally Posted by mp3piratesavvy
    What about Strombolis? The place where you could get the BEST chocolate ice cream in little mickey head
    I forgot all about that place! I loved it! Especially the paper masks they used to give the kids. I don't remember much about the food.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disguy
    I forgot all about that place! I loved it! Especially the paper masks they used to give the kids. I don't remember much about the food.
    I thought the Menu Mask were from Monorail Cafe :confused:

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast