Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Former Epcot CM

Re: Who Here Thinks The Nemo Sub Ride Should Have Been More Original?

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    Standing like a four year old kid with his arms crossed and eyes watery... "NO! I don't want to!".
    In all seriousness, that is the attitude of many of the posters in this thread.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• The one, the only...

The problem is that there is not enough Nemo in this Finding Nemo ride. Instead of going through a rehash of the story from the movie, I would have preferred to have Nemo greet us and take us on a tour to greet all of his friends. Then he, his father and perhaps Dory could be in most shots through the ride. We could then tour the ship wreck, the jellyfish, and get trapped in a whale. I would have enjoyed that better. It is hard to tell a story of a movie that takes one and a half hours, in a ride less than 15 minutes long! If you don't know the story already, you really cannot follow what is going on in the ride. But if you DO know the story, then visiting the places from the movie is fun.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

I received a DVD of the ride from a friend a couple of days ago and honestly...I wasn't that impressed. I am very claustrophobic, and they knew it, so, they made a DVD for me to watch the ride instead of going on it when I go to DL in July.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    In all seriousness, that is the attitude of many of the posters in this thread.
    In all seriousness. No. I don't want to. [Arms Uncrossed]

I still think the video screens is a cop out of giving us jaw dropping animatronics. Both here at Disneyland and at Epcot. Don't get me started on the finale of the Mexico Pavilion ride with that screen when an animatronic could have been added... someone hold me back. don't get me started!

I'm okay now.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Quality Assured

Originally posted by pineapplewhipaddict

"...Lasseter came on board and fixed everything as best he could. Don't blame this on him, for goodness sake..."

"...we should be grateful that our lagoon didn't end up like WDW's...filled in with concrete and then made a giant Winne the Pooh playground."
    Miss. Whip said it best. You can't blame John, if anything he's bringing back the grandeur, scale, imagination, and budget that Walt would've loved. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage is the first of hopefully many new well-budgeted, well-crafted, and well-executed attractions of this new Iger-era...and I can't wait until my return trip to Disneyland to experience the subs for myself, as 20K Leagues at WDW closed two weeks before my first visit to the Magic Kingdom.

• I'm not really here

Lasseter may have been in talks back in 05 when construction really began in earnest (began before that in reality though), but the Pixar Disney merger did not become official until 06. Until that point he had no official say in any matter at all. And WDI was doing testing as early as 04 in the lagoon, so this project was underway LONG before John was involved. He did the absolute best he could with a project that he was not in charge of from the very get go and give then time frame he had coming in when he did, I think he did an amazing job. Think what he will be able to do for the overall quality when he is in charge of the project from the very beginning. He's just getting his feet wet. Wait for him to dive headlong into something.

We can sit here and argue "could have" and "should have" all day and I'd probably agree with you that they "could have" and "should have" done more. But the fact remains, we got the Subs back after WAY to long of a wait. The stagnation is ending. There is movement again and I for one and going to choose to be optimistic about what this bodes for the future.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Minion

does anyone have a pic of the sign that said coming soon Atlantis?

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

We Found Nemo: Submarine Voyage

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    In all seriousness. No. I don't want to. [Arms Uncrossed]

I still think the video screens is a cop out of giving us jaw dropping animatronics. Both here at Disneyland and at Epcot. Don't get me started on the finale of the Mexico Pavilion ride with that screen when an animatronic could have been added... someone hold me back. don't get me started!

I'm okay now.
    I don't know if you are talking about Nemo animatronics or just desiring more animatronics in general, but the reason that I don't think animatronics would have worked all too well is because speaking realistically, unless they completely blew the proportions of the ride to Hades, you can't have a very convincing animatronic for any of the main characters in the ride because they simply aren't that big. I think the most advanced animatronic you would be able to pull out would be one of the sharks or maybe Crush if you're lucky.

I seriously would LOVE to see more rides with animatronics (original rides at that), but I don't necessarily feel like they cheaped out here because they didn't go for animatronics. In relation to the subject matter at hand and the advancements of how the characters have to move, I just don't think animatronics would be able to get the job done.

I'm curious to see how much reaction to the ride would change if the kuka arm was actually operating. I know that doesn't really address the story issues too much, but still.

• DCA lover

This ride suffers from the same problem the movie did. DORI! Oh my god I can't describe how much I hate that stupid fish. I don't even like blue tangs because they remind me of her stupid @$$. And she kept showing up and talking and talking the whole time, almost enough to ruin the ride for me.

But yeah, rehash of the movie, well that seems the norm for movie-based rides unfortunately, but I wish there were less projections and more animatronics.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I have been on the subs twice, and let me assure you, the story line is only a part of the total experience. There is just something about being in the subs and riding around inside the subs that is an experience in and of itself.
    It's an experience I well remembered from the 1990s, and something that, to be honest, I was fairly tired of. They're cramped, uncomfortable, and offer a poor view. It's more fun to see them cruise around the lagoon than to ride inside them.

That means that the story has to support this whole ride. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the story or the ride as a whole, it just doesn't seem like the knock-your-socks off type of ride worthy being called an E Ticket.

Nemo is a great ride, just not the best. For the money they spent on it, they could have built something brand new and I would have rather had that.

• Pie > Cake

You cant judge a ride by a ride video. If you haven't been on Nemo you really shouldn't comment on how good or not the ride is. Experience it first. i thought the ride was going to be crappy. But it has to be my new favorite.

And how the hell is it a rehash of the movie? The basic Nemo is lost story. That's about it. I mean how else are you supposed to base a ride off a movie with out adding some memorable moments from the movie? You all are nit picking here.
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    They're cramped, uncomfortable, and offer a poor view. It's more fun to see them cruise around the lagoon than to ride inside them.
    Speak for yourself.

• Banned User

I'm not going to comment on the overall ride. I think that there are many strong points to the attraction. In my opinion, the lagoon segment of the show is absolutely beautiful. But I would like to say that the drybox projection technology is more impressive at EPCOT in the saltwater tank than in the show building at Disneyland. For the EPCOT version, it was amazing to see the animated fish occupying a 3d environment side-by-side with real fish (and sharks and dolphins). Those projections appeared to have more depth than the ones in the Disneyland show building. Plus, I liked the way that the EPCOT presentation conflated (combined) real and constructed images to create a type of "imaginary realism." Though there are many things to admire in the Disneyland show buildings, I personally think that the ride is less effective because the entire show is "constructed," so that it appeared much more like a traditional dark ride, which is something I've seen before; whereas, while I was in the EPCOT version, watching real and animated fish coexist in the same environment, I was like WOW, How did they create that!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Twist_of_Fate View Post
    I don't know if you are talking about Nemo animatronics or just desiring more animatronics in general, but the reason that I don't think animatronics would have worked all too well is because speaking realistically, unless they completely blew the proportions of the ride to Hades, you can't have a very convincing animatronic for any of the main characters in the ride because they simply aren't that big. I think the most advanced animatronic you would be able to pull out would be one of the sharks or maybe Crush if you're lucky.
    Look at the Tiki room.. plenty small AAs.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast