Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Who Here Thinks The Nemo Sub Ride Should Have Been More Original?

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    It's an experience I well remembered from the 1990s, and something that, to be honest, I was fairly tired of. They're cramped, uncomfortable, and offer a poor view. It's more fun to see them cruise around the lagoon than to ride inside them.

That means that the story has to support this whole ride. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the story or the ride as a whole, it just doesn't seem like the knock-your-socks off type of ride worthy being called an E Ticket.

Nemo is a great ride, just not the best. For the money they spent on it, they could have built something brand new and I would have rather had that.
    The subs actually were an E-ticket ride in that back in the day you needed to use an E-ticket to ride it. E-tickets back then are a lot different than what people think is an E-ticket now. That term, E-ticket, doesn't mean anything anymore anyway, as people nowadays assumes it means something that has to be technologically advanced or thrilling which FNSV does fall short of according to today's standards. I never use that term in describing new rides because it no longer has any meaning.

But it is a great ride anyway. Very relaxing and similar enough to the old ride to where I am sure it would get an E-ticket if the ticket books were still in use today. But I don't know. Perhaps we should hold a seance and ask the man that actually deemed the subs to be an E-ticket, and that would be Walt Disney himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Speak for yourself.
    I think he was.

• Boogers are salty

its based on the movie, thats like saying Peter Pans Flight is just a rehash of the movie, its kind of the point

• Santa Barbara, CA

"Based on the movie" or inspired by (like Star Tours) versus a scene by scene retelling of the movie are two different things. Rides that are vignetted "book reports" of the movie seldom live up to the film and far short of expectations. The "world" of the film and an adventure based on it, expands on the story and seems more fun and unique. this allows the designer to be freer to use the moments that guests wish they could be a part of instead of obligatory story connections that may not translate well into a ride. You're less likely to fall into the trap of direct comparison or burn out on expositional dialog after several re-rides.

Haven't been on Nemo yet, so I'll reserve judgement.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

WOW! First everyone complains for years about an empty sub lagoon, then start complaining about a ride that is visually amazing and cool use of an very popular character in a very Disney only enviroment (where else in the world can you ride in a submarine in a theme park).

To quote another thread: "The online community needs to grow up"

While I would enjoy a new ride that was not character based, I enjoyed NSV and I for one will not look a gift horse in the mouth!
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

I might add that bashing a ride you haven't even been on is ridiculous...
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    D23 Charter Member

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDisney View Post
    WOW! First everyone complains for years about an empty sub lagoon, then start complaining about a ride that is visually amazing and cool use of an very popular character in a very Disney only enviroment (where else in the world can you ride in a submarine in a theme park).

To quote another thread: "The online community needs to grow up"

While I would enjoy a new ride that was not character based, I enjoyed NSV and I for one will not look a gift horse in the mouth!
    I don't think anyone is bashing the ride (At least I'm not). I'm happy the subs are back. I love the new ride. I just wish the storyline had been a little more original.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I'm not certain what you were expecting the ride to be exactly either. It is called "FINDING NEMO Submarine Voyage" not "Nemo and Pals Have a Totally New Adventure That You Have Never Before Seen Submarine Voayge."
    Actually, it was going to be called that, but there wasn't enough money in the sign budget to paint it all .

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Yah, I find it odd that so many people are against the "story" of FINDING NEMO SUBMARINE VOYAGE. Aren't all rides inspired from the film basically a retelling of the movie?

Sure, I don't agree that the subs is the best way to do so but it's basically a very expensive retelling of the film... even though they allude to it NOT being the movie. So yah, it is a bit random in that respect.

And which is why I think they should have just kept the original name and change it to "Submarine Voyage -- Inspired by Disney/Pixar's Finding Nemo". That way they can do what they want. Nemo doesn't have to be lost, and if they repeat scenes from the film, that's fine too. Why does Nemo have to be lost again? He isn't Kevin McCallister of Home Alone.

So haha... here I was trying to defend the story but I went in and tore it apart as well. I think I would have preferred a retelling of the movie rather than them pretending that it's not the movie while we're watching the same stuff happening.

And wouldn't it be fun if at the end of the ride you see Bloat, Gil, Peach, and everyone else floating in those plastic bags filled with air? That would be something cool since we can see the surface of the water anyway.

ANYHOO... I think out of all the pixar rides, Finding Nemo subs are the best. So don't hate on it. And you really have to go on the ride to really know how impressive everything is. It's a nice ride and certainly a step up from everything we've seen in the park for a LONG time. We're on the right track, guys.

Don't be happy the subs are back. Be happy that they're spending money on the park again. This is just the start.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

The story of the ride is that you are going to an undersea volcano, while on your way you happen across Marlin looking for Nemo.
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    D23 Charter Member

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Look at the Tiki room.. plenty small AAs.
    Yeah, but look at what those AA's can do compared to what the AA's for Nemo would HAVE to do. That, and which "small" AAs are you talking about, because once again, it's a proportion thing. Most of the fish in Finding Nemo are realistically VERY small, and you can't make them much bigger without going all wacky on the proportions.

The problem with actual AA's is that the water is very hard on the mechanics and movement is never realistic.

I for one give a HUGE thumbs up to everyone involved in this ride. I know how hard they all worked and how difficult it was to get things to work/look they way they do, not to mention the fight just to get the funding.
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    D23 Charter Member

• When Will It Return?

The story of the ride is that you are going to an undersea volcano, while on your way you happen across Marlin looking for Nemo.

If that's true...why is there no other mentions that they're looking for the volcano or that they found the volcano? There's none of that in the last half of the ride, just a bunch of incoherent random movie-like projection scenes. No reason for anything, no story, just cramming as much movie stuff in as possible. Blah.

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

In the first part of the ride before you enter the show buildings, the Captain says something to the effect of:

"like our destination today, an active undersea volcano..."
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    D23 Charter Member

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I totally agree. The new subs is the best thing to happen to Disneyland since Indy, and I would even argue even a more important addition since even Star Tours.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast