• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Question A few RoA questions....

Was Rivers of America always cemented from the time of opening?
    Were the Mark Twain and Columbia always on tracks?
    When did they stop making the artificial rapids for the canoes?
    Was Rivers of America always called Rivers of America? I have heard Walt call it the Frontierland River several times on his old TV show.

Thanks for any info!

Re: A few RoA questions....

The track for the riverboats has always been there.

The artificial rapids are still there. At least they were last time I went on the Canoes, I think it was back in April.

It's been called the Rivers of America at least since the opening day broadcast.

The track has been there all along. The track was relocated during the Fantasmic construction period. That's when the ships moved closer to the shore than usual.
    Incidentally, the musical scoring and its associated timing for Fantasmic was done before the track was moved. The track became a little longer when it was moved, which meant that the ships actually took longer than calculated to move through the scene, causing them to miss their cues, and caused show stops for early rehearsal. That is why Columbia starts moving so early (second phrase of "When you wish upon a star"), and why it begins its scene past its dock. That's also why the Mark Twain has an auxiliary propeller on one side to help it move JUST a bit faster during that final scene (beyond its "FANTASMIC" boiler rating, even)

The river was originally dirt, but sandy soil of Anaheim being what it is, the river percolated right into the ground, disappearing almost overnight. The river was then lined with clay to keep the water within its shores.

The name "Rivers of America" is from an earlier sketch (maybe the Herb Ryman sketch, but someone would have to check for me).

The rapids are still there, sorta. They've been toned down over the years, probably more due to maintainence than a conscious decision. Isn't it the rapid section where the water enters the river for the first time? Or is that more toward the indian village?

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the help!

However I think the first water way into RoA is towards the dock of the Columbia/Mark Twain, atleast thats what I've heard.

Was the jungle cruise the same way with the cement/dirt beginning?

I would assume so. Remember, Jungle is part of the "dark water system" in the park, so it probably had the same growing pains.