Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    16

    Wink Where is ID required?

    My friends Mom, who has never been to Disneyland is going with us when we go in July, but her purse was stolen and she may not be able to get an ID in time. Where is an ID required at Disneyland? We already purchased the tickets online and we are aware that for POS purchases with a credit card you need an ID, but where else?

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13,910
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Where is ID required?

    If the credit card is signed there should be no need for an ID.

  3. #3

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    6 hours from the House of Mouse
    Posts
    3,381

    Re: Where is ID required?

    Quote Originally Posted by mythgard View Post
    My friends Mom, who has never been to Disneyland is going with us when we go in July, but her purse was stolen and she may not be able to get an ID in time. Where is an ID required at Disneyland? We already purchased the tickets online and we are aware that for POS purchases with a credit card you need an ID, but where else?

    Thanks!
    If the tickets were purchased in her name, they require ID to pick up (if you had them mailed or printed, not a problem.) If the hotel is in her name, they require ID to get the room, but in the past, the temp DL was good enough. And ID is required for credit card purchases.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

  4. #4

    • Hillary scares me.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    244

    Re: Where is ID required?

    Disneyland has been very strict with me about showing ID for credit/debit purchases. Hopefully your friend's mom has a bank account with Chase or she's bound to rack up a bundle in ATM surcharges.

  5. #5

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13,910
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Where is ID required?

    Did California pass one of those credit card/ID laws? Otherwise the credit card companies say they are not needed if signed.

  6. #6

    • is too darn hot.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    It's all about the LBC, yo!
    Posts
    14,849

    Re: Where is ID required?

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Did California pass one of those credit card/ID laws? Otherwise the credit card companies say they are not needed if signed.
    Which has never made sense to me.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

    On Track for Weight Loss!


  7. #7

    • Producer Extraordinaire
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chino Hills, CA
    Posts
    193

    Re: Where is ID required?

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Did California pass one of those credit card/ID laws? Otherwise the credit card companies say they are not needed if signed.
    i've worked retail pretty consistently since i was 16, and i'm in southern california. we generally always ask for an id regardless of whether or not the card is signed. sometimes people bite your head off for it, but more often people bite your head off for not doing it. very often customers thank register people for asking to see id (usually a clear indicator of someone who has had their card stolen).

    i was a victim of identity theft and i had all my cards in my possession. the purchases were made way up in the san francisco area. the first thing i thought was, "didn't they check id?" but if they just 'skin' the card, a brand new card made with your info in the magnetic strip, so they can easily just sign your name in their handwriting on the new one so when they sign, their signature matches. also, in california, it seems like 3 out of 5 people have "see id" written on the back of their card, either beside, or in lieu of their signature.



    take cash, then really the only time you'll need an id is if you're buying a drink.




  8. #8

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Just around the riverbend
    Posts
    8,057

    Re: Where is ID required?

    I write "See CA I.D." on the back of my cards. I've never had identity theft with CC, but with my CA DL and SSN ... so hopefully this all gets figured out.


  9. #9

    •   
    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,640

    Re: Where is ID required?

    It's actually illegal to write See ID on your credit card, it is invalid unless signed.

    And Disneyland has been doing some strange things lately with ID requirements on purchases. People have told me that their Cast IDs aren't even valid when you use a credit card, which is totally insane. I mean, if the company ID isn't good enough, then something isn't right. lol
    -Bill

  10. #10

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13,910
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Where is ID required?

    People get upset when asked for ID using a credit card because it is a MAJOR source of fraud. It means handing over ALL the information needed to make online purchases. Asking for ID is also in violation of the merchant's agreement. Non of the major credit card companies will EVER tell merchants to include an ID check, except when no signature is present.

    It is also easy to make a fake ID.

  11. #11

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    6 hours from the House of Mouse
    Posts
    3,381

    Re: Where is ID required?

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    People get upset when asked for ID using a credit card because it is a MAJOR source of fraud. It means handing over ALL the information needed to make online purchases. Asking for ID is also in violation of the merchant's agreement. Non of the major credit card companies will EVER tell merchants to include an ID check, except when no signature is present.

    It is also easy to make a fake ID.
    Actually, they can verify the info, they just are not allowed to record it. They may look at the pic and verify the name matches the name on the card. Calfornia Civil Code 1747.08d states:
    "(d) This section does not prohibit any person, firm, partnership, association, or corporation from requiring the cardholder, as a condition to accepting the credit card as payment in full or in part for goods or services, to provide reasonable forms of positive identification, which may include a driver's license or a California state identification card, or where one of these is not available, another form of photo identification, provided that none of the information contained thereon is written or recorded on the credit card transaction form or otherwise.If the cardholder pays for the transaction with a credit card number and does not make the credit card available upon request to verify the number, the cardholder's driver's license number or identification card number may be recorded on the credit card transaction form or otherwise."

    Disneyland is protecting themselves.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

  12. #12

    • Basking in birthday love
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Claremont bubble
    Posts
    2,269

    Re: Where is ID required?

    I use my credit cards extremely infrequently. Most of my purchases are made on my debit card, which has my picture on it, so I never get asked for additional ID.

    Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

    "It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

  13. #13

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    595

    Re: Where is ID required?

    ID is also requested if a person has an unusual name and the Hatwriter questions if it's a nickname.

    On the topic of credit cards, you should always sign the back of your credit card. Merchants compare the signature on the back of the card with the signature on the sales draft, and if they don't match, an ID check is required. According to Visa, a theif wants to use your card as fast as possible; they're not going to sit and practice forging your signature. If your card is unsigned, they can just sign it, and merchants would be none the wiser. If you write "See ID," as lazyboy97O said, they may be able to use your card anyway with a fake ID, but at the very least, it would take more time for them to procure one.

    On the other hand, even if you do sign it, a theif can still come up with a fake ID to counter the ID check on mismatched signature. It's rather difficult to determine authenticity with so many varieties of ID out there from North American guests, including the Mexican consular ID, which according to the FBI is one of the most fraud-prone government-issued identification cards out there. When asking for ID, I always ask for a passport first, driver license second (e.g. "May I see ID please, such as a passport or driver license?"). Passports always look the same no matter what country issued them.

    Edit: The picture on some cards, including many of Bank of America's Visas and Costco's American Express card, is not considered a valid substitute for government issued identification if the back of the card is not signed.

  14. #14

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    595

    Re: Where is ID required?

    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Actually, they can verify the info, they just are not allowed to record it. They may look at the pic and verify the name matches the name on the card. Calfornia Civil Code 1747.08d states:
    "(d) This section does not prohibit any person, firm, partnership, association, or corporation from requiring the cardholder, as a condition to accepting the credit card as payment in full or in part for goods or services, to provide reasonable forms of positive identification, which may include a driver's license or a California state identification card, or where one of these is not available, another form of photo identification, provided that none of the information contained thereon is written or recorded on the credit card transaction form or otherwise.If the cardholder pays for the transaction with a credit card number and does not make the credit card available upon request to verify the number, the cardholder's driver's license number or identification card number may be recorded on the credit card transaction form or otherwise."

    Disneyland is protecting themselves.
    It's not illegal, but it is discouraged by the credit card companies. I can find it in Visa's Rules for Merchants if anyone really wants.

Similar Threads

  1. Positive Enegry Required for Grandmother
    By Gwyren in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-12-2008, 01:37 PM
  2. 18% Gratuity Now Required at WDW
    By Imaginationeer in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 11-13-2007, 09:06 PM
  3. Southern California ID required?
    By ltleelim in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 07:00 PM
  4. Your vote is required - Which attraction has the WORST lyrics?
    By RobotMirror in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 01-21-2007, 09:45 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •