Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

1985 compared to 2005

I was talking with my friend the other day at Disneyland, and she was mentioning how busy it was. She also recalled that Disneyland never used to seem as crowded back in the 70's or 80's even if there were long lines for things. She also mentioned that now, whenever the park is the slightest bit of crowded, walkways always seem to jam up and crowds become a nightmare. Is the difference between, let's say the 1980's, and now is that Disneyland lets in MORE people? Is it that people are heavier? Is because Disneyland is filled with Fastpass and walkways clogged with ODV? Or maybe attractions operate at lower capacity? I did tell her that the closure of attractions and resturaunts over the years have driven down the park's capacity, but I couldn't convince her. Do you think she is right?

• Circle of Ancients

It's Fastpass
    +
    Closure of Attractions and Restaurants
    =
    Seemingly busier park.

I don't think the parks are any busier now than they were in the 80's, but there have been alot of attractions closed in the last few years. Even something like Capt. EO used to have full shows constantly.

I don't think Disney let's in any more people now than they did 20 years ago. But, people are heavier could be it too.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

It's mostly Fast Pass...........think of all the people who could be standing in those lines you race thru when using the feature.....they are clogging the walkways.....and then you have the ODV carts every 4 feet when before there were not a few sit down eateries....some, like the Tahitian Terrace were attractions in themselves.

If they would do the following I believe they could suffer twice the crowds and still feel less crowded then now:

1---nix Fast Pass.

2---Increase Park Hours a little.

3---nix at least 4 out of 5 odv carts.

4---Open up at least 5 shuttered Restaurants.....and maybe even convert a couple of fast food eateries to full service(Village Haus could be a nice full service German/Italian place; Red Rockets could go full service to)...

5---Open up a new skyway, peoplemover, and at least 2 new E ticekt high capacity attractions in the same vain as Pirates or Mansion.....people eaters if you will.

/ /
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    1985 compared to 2005??

1985-
    I was young
    My boobs were WAY UP HERE
    My pants were acid wash
    I listened to Bon jovi

2005-
    I am old
    boobs not so high up
    No Pants club
    Still Listen to Bon Jovi

Oh you meant Disneyland, silly me

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Minion

In 1985 Tomorrowland kicked-butt.

* America Sings with it's impressive hourly capacity filled more people in than Innoventions!!
    * Mission To Mars was able usher in people with two capsules every 7 minutes with 250 people each .. now ... the tables fill up as R2P2 and stay that way till people feel like getting up.
    * Space Place Restaurant use to be open - today, it's dead space
    * Subs closed
    * Peoplemover could pack in 4,880 people per hour
    * Skyway could take care of some folks
    * Circle-Vision's capacity was darn good too, maybe a tad better than Buzz

Over in other lands:
    * Country Bear Jamboree did better to absorb more people in twin theaters than Pooh
    * No more "Keel Boats" - that's another loss.
    * yes ... Tahitian Terrace always packed them solidly all day - Not the case today as "story telling" thing for the kids with very limited shows.
    * Carnation Gardens restaurant - gone
    * Plaza Pavilion - still closed.
    * a restaraunt between Showcase and Lincoln once resided there. Gone

So you see ... the park's overall capacity has been brought down .. while the existance of Toontown may help ... it does not make up for ALL those other loses.

And there's part of the reason for all of today's crowds.
    Last edited by Escapé; 06-25-2005 at 12:35 AM. Reason: spelling

• Rainicorn.

I wasn't born yet.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• Social Imagineer

And of course, the main difference specifically between 1985 and 2005, besides the crowds, was that Disneyland's 30th was celebrated with the most fantastic party the Park has ever had, and the 50th is going to be celebrated with cupcakes.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey
    I was talking with my friend the other day at Disneyland, and she was mentioning how busy it was. She also recalled that Disneyland never used to seem as crowded back in the 70's or 80's even if there were long lines for things. She also mentioned that now, whenever the park is the slightest bit of crowded, walkways always seem to jam up and crowds become a nightmare.
    1. Is the difference between, let's say the 1980's, and now is that Disneyland lets in MORE people?
    2. Is it that people are heavier?
    3. Is because Disneyland is filled with Fastpass and walkways clogged with ODV?
    4. Or maybe attractions operate at lower capacity?
    5. I did tell her that the closure of attractions and resturaunts over the years have driven down the park's capacity, but I couldn't convince her. Do you think she is right?
    Sorry, I had to organize your post, in order to better answer your questions.
    1. No. Capacity is probably less now, but that has to do with all the things already mentioned.
    2. Some are, some aren't.
    3. Yes, and Yes: FastPass transfers guests from queues to walkways/shops/restaurants. ODV carts cram those walkways, magnifying the issue.
    4. I don't think any attraction open at both of those times has lowered its capacity. Replacing high-capacity attractions with lower ones has caused a bigger change in crowdedness. If they're not experiencing an attraction, then they're somewhere else. Walkways are one of those other places.
    5. Again, maximum capacity dropping means that a specific number of guests now will make the park feel more crowded than that same number of guests in the past, at nearly every crowd level.

One more thing: I believe that nowadays, AP holders with infants and toddlers are more likely to come with their children and their strollers, while in the past if someone had to pay $30 US (in 1985) to enter, that parent was going to get his/her money's worth and more likely to leave the child at home. (Wait until the child is more guaranteed a good time, relative to the money spent.)
    Note: this is not an indictment on AP holders, parents with infants or toddlers, or the combination therein. It's just that when one person takes up 2 or 3 times the space in the walkways, multiplied by thousands of similarly displacing persons, it can crowd the walkways.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Incognito

Blog Entries
    Tomorrowland DID kick A$$! It was the first land I always went to, even up until the early 90's. Now, not so much.

There so many peopleater attractions: Peoplemover, America Sings, Subs, Skyway, 2 Autopias, Motorboat Cruise. Now, not so much. I'd venture to guess that if Peoplemover reopened and another peopleater attraction, it might actually help. Yea they werent the most exciting attractions but it was SOMETHING to do when the favs were so crowded. Now all there is to do is walk around or eat.

• white and nerdy

Ahhh... 1985.... Back to the Future sparked the imagination of science geeks, Fletch made America laugh, and the domestication of the dog continued unabated...

I think that perhaps the nostalga of the past blurrs our perception of the present. My dad...(major confession here)... HATES Disneyland. He just does... I don't know why. He will still go if the rest of his family goes (especialy now that grandchildren are in the picture) but he doesn't really like it. He, with no particular nostalga for years gone by, always talks about how Disneyland is more tollerable now because there are LESS people there. Perhaps more people are in the streets due to fast pass (I think most people wait in another line while waiting for their fast pass) but there is another thing we must consider...
    Disney's California Adventure. Sure, a few high capacity attractions are gone, but a whole new theme park is there. Plus a huge down town district where many people go to do their eating and shopping.
    I remember 1985 (I was six) as only being able to ride six or seven rides all day. "you have to save something for next time" Lines for new attractions could lead clear back to the gate, crazyness...
    While walkways may be more crowded, Fast pass, DCA, and downtown disney all provide for shorter wait times, the ability for more attractions, and... uh... continued domestication of the dog...

but thats just my opinion
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Sock Puppet

In 1985.....

There was Bruce Springsting, Madonna. Way before Nirvana there was U2 and Blondie. Music was still on MTV. My two kids in high school tell me that I'm not cool. Guess I'm STILL preoccupied with 1985.

Um yeah, that one was wide open, had to take it. I think the reason for the crowds nowadays is a combination of a lack of NEW INTERESTING ATTRACTIONS, Fast pass, lack of bigger sit down eateries, way too many ODV carts and the fact the festival area is blocked off (that could house quite alot of people) and the lack of "time waster" attractions I.E motorboats, subs, PM.

But mostly it's the loss of CAPTAIN EO. Nothing gets people off the sidewalks then THE KING OF POP and his rag tag band of music playing muppets. I blame the crowd problem mostly on that.

• Minion

>>"Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."<<

THAT IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!
    I can't stop laughing!!!

Hey marcarena!

• Minion

>>but there is another thing we must consider...
    Disney's California Adventure. <<

But not many seem to be interested in Don't Create Another park tm.

So .. everyone just crowds Disneyland.

Yeah .. DtD has some good restaurants ... but DL is where the RIDES are.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I still can't stop laughing!

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by THE BOB
    But mostly it's the loss of CAPTAIN EO. Nothing gets people off the sidewalks then THE KING OF POP and his rag tag band of music playing muppets. I blame the crowd problem mostly on that.
    that is the most true statement in the history of statements.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast