Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: What was so wrong about LightMagic?

I remember seeing a few times, but I was really little. All I remember is how dark it was. There was really no light to it at all. I remember how much my parents hated it and how much they disliked the show but that's really it. I even have a shirt(but way too small for me now). I think I should throw fire arrows at it.

• Done waiting!!

Hey save that shirt! Its gotta be worth something eventually. Just don't take it out in public...
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

Oh yeah. Tigger Dance.

I agree with all the criticisms that have already been posted in this thread, and won't even bother tossing in a few more, because that would be just too easy...there were so many flaws in the show. If it were any more of a dog...it would wag its tail.

And to those that have posted its problem was that it followed Main Street Electrical Parade...a great big resounding NO! That is an inaccurate and oversimplified "reason" IMHO. Light Magic had the worse satisfaction survey numbers of almost any Disney show to date...even with Guests that had never heard of or seen the Main Street Electrical Parade before!

I was there the night they previewed it to Annual Passholders and Disney management from all over the company, including execs and the folks in the Entertainment Division of Walt Disney World. That night they didn't need to hear any Guest comments or read any surveys. They were universally stunned...it was that bad. Took Walt Disney World about 5 seconds to say, "Ah...no thank you." I've always humorously opinioned that WDW's "SpectroMagic" was born on that night!

I remember the Los Angeles Times...which had a long history of overlooking borderline faults at Disneyland...very uncharacteristically declaring it, "a 20 Million Dollar dud."

It was the only show like that Disney ever produced...that within a few weeks of its premier...you never had a problem finding a good viewing spot. And after many people got up a walked away about half way through the show...you really never had a problem finding a good viewing spot!

It had a handful of fans though. I have a friend that thought it was just great. But then again...she collects clown paintings.

Here's how it would go: a float stage, exactly the same as the other float stages, would park itself in front of you (if you were in the right place). Pixies would come out and step dance, badly, while flowers on the float would glow and pulse. Pixies would continue to dance while the flowers kept glowing and pulsing. Characters would come out in their pajamas and dance with the pixies, while the flowers kept glowing and pulsing. If you were really at the right angle, you could even see a brief movie that looked like a bad commercial for Disney DVDs. More bad step dancing, more pulsing and glowing, a ton (literally) of confetti, then the float stage would go away, the lights would go back on, and everyone would stand around scratching their heads, wondering what the hell that was.

That's the thing, it was just one thing with no variation. One stage/float to look at, and if you looked down Main Street, you'd just see a couple more floats that are absolutely identical. Various tunes redone as mock-Celtic music, intersperced with an annoying mock-Celtic "Dream your dreams together" ditty. Dancing. Dancing. More dancing. Clickety clickety click of the shoes added to the soundtrack, instead of live. One character would dance in front of you. There just wasn't much to it.

There was also the fact that the mylar confetti went absolutely EVERYWHERE, and didn't biodegrade like the crepe paper confetti. By the end of the summer, it was everywhere you looked, even on Tom Sawyer Island, Critter Country, and Toontown. I found lots of it out on Harbor Blvd. I recently found a familiar piece of mylar, covered with dirt, next to a tree on the island. And that's a decade later!

• Rock Star Minion

There is a long story on the web published by someone we're not allowed to mention (else this thread will get L.B.'ed) that is a very interesting read. I highly recommend it, not that it should be assumed to be all true.
    Last edited by sediment; 06-20-2007 at 10:26 AM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by DLcastmbr View Post
    thats basically it. It followed electrical parade which was very heavily popular and alot of pissed off people to see it go. Naturally no one took a liking to its follower
    Before the 1996 "Farewell" Season, the MSEP was playing to fewer and fewer people. You could generally show up at showtime and still get a good spot. The numbers were not as abysmal as Light Magic, but it potentially could have gotten there.

The 1996 season was an anomaly. The crowds showed up in record numbers because they were all told the parade was "glowing away" forever.
    "JESUS!!! That's Cold!" -- Walt Disney's final words.

"You hear people talk about, 'I don't think Walt would like this,' or 'I don't think Walt would like that.' You have no idea what Walt would want! No clue whatsoever! Because the people that worked with him day in and day out didn't know what Walt wanted. Walt didn't know what he wanted 'til he wanted it."
    -- Randy Thornton, Walt Disney Records

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink View Post
    It was just too dang creepy. The fairy dancers, especially the males, were what made it the creepiest. They had these bizarre masks with long noses that curved up and it was the most un-Disney thing I've ever seen. Almost like they came right out of a horror movie.
    Didn't they get rid of those masks soon after the AP "Dress Rehearsal"?

"You hear people talk about, 'I don't think Walt would like this,' or 'I don't think Walt would like that.' You have no idea what Walt would want! No clue whatsoever! Because the people that worked with him day in and day out didn't know what Walt wanted. Walt didn't know what he wanted 'til he wanted it."

Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL View Post
    It cut the park in half for most of the evening, there was no going anywhere until after the last show of the evening.
    Unlike a parade, Light Magic was performed either on Main Street or Small World Plaza. A single showing did not utilize both locations. So, it was fairly easy to get from one side of the Park to the other as long as you knew where to cross.

• Huh?

Two good things about Light Magic:

1) Celtic renditions of classic Disney tunes were quite lovely (but, guess mostly because I love celtic music)
    2) Baroque Hoedown.
    -Tim

Quote Originally Posted by InnerSpace View Post
    But I honestly think Disney let the APs win. Disney could've drastically improved the show, maybe put it on stage in the Fantasyland Theatre, and change the unorgainized choreography, but keep the music. But Disney instead took the AP approach and closed the show because of how unpopular it was to THEM. Shame.
    Disney put Light Magic on permanent hiatus because of AP reaction? Wow. We're powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    I was there the night they previewed it to Annual Passholders and Disney management from all over the company, including execs and the folks in the Entertainment Division of Walt Disney World.
    There was no AP Preview. Those who were there that evening remember Paul Pressler calling it a "Dress Rehearsal".

I've always humorously opinioned that WDW's "SpectroMagic" was born on that night!
    Actually, Spectromagic at WDW dates back to 1992. Several years before Light Magic.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Took Walt Disney World about 5 seconds to say, "Ah...no thank you." I've always humorously opinioned that WDW's "SpectroMagic" was born on that night!
    But SpectroMagic came way before Light Magic!
    -Bill

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by brassplayer View Post
    There was no AP Preview. Those who were there that evening remember Paul Pressler calling it a "Dress Rehearsal".

Actually, Spectromagic at WDW dates back to 1992. Several years before Light Magic.
    Actually it dates back to 1991. Came out during the 20th.
    -Bill

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by brassplayer View Post

They sold tickets to Annual Passholders for this "dress rehearsal". That's an AP preview if I ever seen one. And yah, they refunded most everyone's money to those who wanted them. I had a fun time at Disneyland that evening with friends so I went home without requesting a refund.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    They sold tickets to Annual Passholders for this "dress rehearsal". That's an AP preview if I ever seen one. And yah, they refunded most everyone's money to those who wanted them. I had a fun time at Disneyland that evening with friends so I went home without requesting a refund.
    Disneyland sold tickets to an AP Preview. It wasn't until the evening started that Paul Pressler welcomed us all to a Dress Rehearsal. This is one of the reasons why Disney gave out refunds to all who asked.

"We had nothing to do with Light Magic" -- Imagineer Tony Baxter, over and over again, at the AP Light Magic party.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast