Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DLR Money

• Looking for Love

DLR Money

I was thinking with all of DLR's money problems, why doesen't WDW just throw some money over this way? I highly doubt that WDW is struggling or anything, why doesent the disney family share with the other disney family. We could have our DLR as big as WDW if WDW would throw some greenback over our way.

For many years this sort of thing was done all the time. WDW was built with DL money and both WDW and DL supported the studio through the 70s and early 80s, but after Eisner and Wells came in in '84 Disney was broken down into business units and each unit had to prove their worth independently. The theory goes...if the business is a worthwile venture it should make the money necessary for re-investment in that same business. Most large businesses are run this way today (not that that makes it right). All profits are turned over to corporate. It is then up to corporate to decide where profits are re-invested (or invest in new businesses, or give to the shareholders as dividens, or buy back Disney stock). The only way for DL to get profits from WDW or any other division is for corporate to give it to them after it is added to the overall pool of profit. Right now Wall Street (and Disney Co. follows the rules set by Wall Street) says theme parks are a bad investment...so Disney will not be reinvesting in the parks in a meaningful way for some thime. Expect profits to go to ABC, ESPN and International expansion. Current management will do nothing to upset Wall Street.

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Eggz
    For many years this sort of thing was done all the time. WDW was built with DL money and both WDW and DL supported the studio through the 70s and early 80s, but after Eisner and Wells came in in '84 Disney was broken down into business units and each unit had to prove their worth independently. The theory goes...if the business is a worthwile venture it should make the money necessary for re-investment in that same business. Most large businesses are run this way today (not that that makes it right). All profits are turned over to corporate. It is then up to corporate to decide where profits are re-invested (or invest in new businesses, or give to the shareholders as dividens, or buy back Disney stock). The only way for DL to get profits from WDW or any other division is for corporate to give it to them after it is added to the overall pool of profit. Right now Wall Street (and Disney Co. follows the rules set by Wall Street) says theme parks are a bad investment...so Disney will not be reinvesting in the parks in a meaningful way for some thime. Expect profits to go to ABC, ESPN and International expansion. Current management will do nothing to upset Wall Street.
    I think it is a load of crap how disney is tied in with ABC, ESPN and other networks and companys who eat up Disneys money. They need to seperate that and get Disney focused back on Disney!

Besides....nobody watchs ABC.....name one good show that became a phenomenon that ever originated from ABC.
    *BUZZ* Times Up! The answer is absolutly nothing!

The other thing that kills me, if that is true about how DL helped fund WDW way back in time to help it become what it is today....then think about what DLR could become if WDW were to fund it now!

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by Derekuda
    nobody watchs ABC.....name one good show that became a phenomenon that ever originated from ABC.
    ahhh... You didn't give me any time to say anything....
    Desperate Housewives?
    Lost?
    :confused:
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Boozer, User, and Loser

umm, Desperate Housewives is on ABC. Huge hit. Not that it justifies ABC as a great network.

• Rainicorn.

One word: LOST.

I also appreciated the US version of "Whose Line?'.

Back on topic, I think the theme parks should have a higher level of priority when it comes to money and funding.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by HarajukuBoy
    umm, Desperate Housewives is on ABC. Huge hit. Not that it justifies ABC as a great network.
    Oh i'm sorry.....I thought I said a GOOD show.....not crap.

I think that if a network like ABC is going to be associated with Disney, then it needs to be a wholesome channel full of family shows,....not fake wholesome like family channel or current disneychannel......more like older disneychannel from 10 years ago.
    Last edited by Derekuda; 06-25-2005 at 12:57 PM.

• white and nerdy

Oh i'm sorry.....I thought I said a GOOD show.....not crap.
    ahhh.. I see that you are of the school of "if I don't like it no one should."
    JK....
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    ahhh.. I see that you are of the school of "if I don't like it no one should."
    JK....
    Actually, I had more to say, but accidently hit enter.....scroll back up to read the rest after the "crap" statement.

........And for the record, to answer your question...."Exactly!"

• Disneyland Freak

Besides....nobody watchs ABC.....name one good show that became a phenomenon that ever originated from ABC.
    Step by Step? Family Matters? Full House? Boy Meets World? Home Improvement? I believe those were all also ABC television shows. Not to mention Desperate Housewvies, Lost, and Grey's Anatomy.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by dlfreak
    Step by Step? Family Matters? Full House? Boy Meets World? Home Improvement? I believe those were all also ABC television shows.
    Hold on a second.......let me get out my calendar and count the years back to see how long long ago one of those shows were around.......

...This may take a while.

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by dlfreak
    Step by Step? Family Matters? Full House? Boy Meets World? Home Improvement? I believe those were all also ABC television shows. Not to mention Desperate Housewvies, Lost, and Grey's Anatomy.
    hmmm... sounds like someone was schooled....

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    hmmm... sounds like someone was schooled....
    These debates are all in good fun my friend.

• Disneyland Freak

Hold on a second.......let me get out my calendar and count the years back to see how long long ago one of those shows were around.......

...This may take a while.
    You too... just one more second. I was addresing "Name one good show that became a phenomenon that ever originated from ABC."
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• white and nerdy

These debates are all in good fun my friend.
    RAGE RAGE RAGE..Rage Rage rage rage slightly pissed slightly pissed calming down calming down, calm calm... shaolin munk level acheived...

I just get so crazy when someone disses... Lost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast