Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Important poll: Cast Member Morale

How has Cast Member Morale changed since Matt Ouimet came in and replaced Cynthia Harris?

Have you noticed a change in the cast attitude, and why?

Is Disneyland being affected by a College Program?

Any Cast comments regarding the current management would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by General Grizz; 06-27-2005 at 04:12 PM.

• CM for 4 years!

As a low low low seniority cast member, I hardly have any contact with upper management, much less Matt Ouimet. Sometimes I'm not happy with my leads, and my personal morale is low, because although I want to only work about 25 hours a week over four days, I'm being given 40 hours a week over 6 days, leaving me little to no summer free time, because even if I'm only working a 4 hour shift, the process of just getting to Disney to show up to work pretty much takes the entire day. In foods, were are extended to "double shifts"-- also known as a 12-hour shifts-- on a fairly regular basis. Feeling like the company EXPECTS this from us is tiring, and frustrating. I feel like because we're working six days a week, we should be given more leeway on sick days, because I was ill one day ... actually I was sick to my stomach because of a meal I had at a Cast Diner, and I still had to lose my three points... which is a lot, when in the first three months, you are only allowed to accumulate "nine points" against you.

I feel like this all cuts into my morale... But contributing to the guest experience certainly can bring my morale right back up. Unfortunately, when I get phone calls from my friends and family asking where I am, and me having to call them back to tell them that I'm at work... again... brings my morale back down again.

I'd say cast morale in FOODS is down since the switch from Cynthia to Ouimet, because Ouimet is now implimenting the old line schedule system that hasn't been around since 1997. Previous to this, the motto was "A Great Place to Work and Play", and cast members were allowed to designate very specific availiability, which led schedules to be a pleasant experience. Now, scheduling is based on the needs of the location, which usually forfeits the wants of the cast member. Which can lead to low morale.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• OM NOM NOM

I think that cast morale is relatively high. While we may be frustrated over shifts (I feel for you melmel), pointless meetings, and cranky guests, we ultimately enjoy where we are.

As for Matt Ouimet: he may be an excellent leader, and he may be the best guy to talk to one-on-one, but he is no good at public speaking. Oh well, the best leaders aren't.
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

• white and nerdy

most of the people who talk about it at the Disney_cast community on Live Journal (link in my sig) seem to have higher moral than before, with the exception of some of the Food and Bev people.

I've heard alot of people comment that it's nice having thier work places looking so good these days, or working at all.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Banned User

Grizz, expect all Food and Bvg. CMs to be kinda angry, as Matt implemented an older policy, as Cynthia was giving way too much to the CMs, and it was just getting out of hand. This even goes with taking the costumes home to clean, and all that.
    Last edited by captsmith84; 06-26-2005 at 03:23 AM.

• former that is....

i have nothing to complain about. attractions is an awesome division. sure we all have small individual problems, but really, if you just show up on time, and do what your being paid to do, you're gonna end up having a good time and enjoy what you're doing. Most of the cast members who are upset have a problem with the attendance system and how many "points" they have against them. points are bad news and can lead to "seperation." (not fired, or terminated aparently) so my morale is high, we have new attractions opening up, with more on the way, which means more options for me.

that is all

• Hooterville, USA

Other than foods, I've say morale is climbing. Matt gets some credit for that.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by General Grizz
    Is Disneyland unplagued by the College Program?
    please elaborate on this, I am not sure what you mean....

I am a former college program cm and I know the recently reinstated program is A LOT different that the one I participated in 4 years ago. Just curious as to what affect you think this may be having on morale.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Sock Puppet

Any return to the old-school way of doing things at Disneyland is a GIANT step forward. Even if the park suffers short-term, in the long-term it will benefit.

Anyone who wasn't around pre-1997 can't fathom how well things ran under the old more strict guidlelines. These guidelines, while seemingly old-fashioned, were the BACKBONE of what made Disneyland run so smoothly.

Castmembers making their own schedules based on their own availability? Calling in sick after their shifts began? Missing up to 20 days of work with no discipline? What sort of brainless obtuse nonsense was this?

Bravo to Matt and his team for turning back the hands of time! If morale dips temporarily as a result, so be it. In the long run, it will only help Disneyland.

• Lord of the Ribs

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Lover
    Bravo to Matt and his team for turning back the hands of time! If morale dips temporarily as a result, so be it. In the long run, it will only help Disneyland.
    While I couldn't agree more, I sure wish they'd up the wages a bit. When you can't even compete with a fast food restaurant, you're being pretty darn cheap.

Eat meat. Your daddy sez it's good for ya.

• insufferable know-it-all

The solution to Disney's problems would be a wage increase. In-n-Out pays $9/hr plus benefits and is out-Disneying Disney in guest service on a consistent basis. Disney asks a lot of their cast members, and should pay accordingly. Instead they try program after program to improve morale without sacrificing the almighty dollar, even though it's clearly the easiest and most effective solution.

More full-time positions and better pay will bring in higher-quality CMs and keep them there.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Banned User

More full time positions will bring in better CMs, but better pay beyond the norm is not required. It only makes people expect more for the work they do. As long as there are good people who will accept the current rate of pay, there is no reason to raise the pay. Bonuses would be okay, but not a pay raise.

• șoș Tom șoș

I agree- I would have returned to Disney as an employee post college if I thought for one sec I could have made enough money to get anywhere! I'll think Disney could do well to take a page from Starbucks and look at profit sharing systems and a healthcare system even for part-timers.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries
    I saw a cast member yesterday who was definately low on morlae. His queue was very confusing, and he'd yell at anyone who got confused and went the wrong way. He also yelled at someone who ducked under a rope. I was totally not impressed.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• insufferable know-it-all

Bill: beyond the norm is one thing, paying UNDER market is another entirely. It's extremely difficult to live in Orange County on $10/hr at 40 hrs/week, let alone on less than $9 part time. If In-n-Out is getting all the "good Disney" types working for them slinging burgers for $9/hr, then it's absurd for Disney to think that, with all they demand of their cast, they can pay any less.

If Disney was paying "market price" for their cast, they would not be short 600 CMs in one department. Market is what people will pay (or in this case, what payment people demand). If you're having trouble filling positions, you're not paying market price. They're trying to find other ways to attract people (eg: making the job more attractive at that price), however, the simple truth is that they're just not paying enough to get the kind of quality people that they need. Instead, they're taking the people who are willing to work for that amount.... meaning people who either can't do better (generally not someone you want as a CM), or people who are doing it to fulfill a lifelong dream (who will soon see how hard it is to get by on the money and eventually quit).

They could solve this by budgeting for a wage raise. Not some insulting $0.13 raise either, I'm talking at least a dollar up on what they're paying right now. Things being what they are, especially the cost of gasoline, and the fact that many CMs have to live outside of Orange County to be able to afford to work at DL, the wage is too low to be competitive.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast