Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: How are the Subs NOT futuristic?

Quote Originally Posted by gamer_christopher View Post
    what broken effects Proffessortango?
    The angler fish robotic arms are still not working and the waterfalls are turned off routinely due to leaks.

• Animatronic

The Matterhorn always seemed like future recreation to me, and the swiss aspect fit the World's Fair feel of Tomorrowland. The subs were less a gray area, despite being gray. They were a rather futuristic exploration of the deep seas. I know Walt originally wanted 20,000 leagues, and that has always confused me, other than it being past futurism. Heck, a 20,000 leagues ride only almost fits Fantasyland, Adventureland, or Tomorrowland.

Nemo isn't much different as far as fit in an area that's always been a transition area. It's not as big an abomination as a talking Toy at the entrance to Tomorrowland.

The more damning complaints I've heard are the lack of dramatic vistas, obviously 2D effects, and a passive story ripped from the film.

For the record, the most recent research suggests fish don't communicate like higher animals. Schools of fish don't even have a leader. Each fish simply acts based on simple rules. It doesn't seem like there will be anything worth "translating", even when we can scan their brains.

• Who's your DaddyB?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I will go out on a limb here and state that we will NEVER be able to translate "fish language" into the King's English.

Dogs, dolphins and other creatures are FAR more advanced than fish, and we do know that they, in fact, can communicate with each other. Even so, we will never be able to transcribe those communications into anything other than basic phrases, if that. Babies also communicate, and we can't even translate those sounds--and they're human!

Animals--and fish especially--do not communicate in any way that would be "translatable" into proper sentence structures. In fact, I'm not even sure we know that fish communicate at all, other than through their colors.

But, if you must fabricate a twisted argument to justify the story line in Tomorrowland, you certainly have the right.

(Personally, I might suggest that the fish are in fact "time traveling aliens" from a distant but dying water-world who have been deployed to eventually take over Earth. How's that for a "futuristic" theme?)
    there ya' go.
    First response pretty much nailed it for me.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Minion

Blog Entries

I will go out on a limb here and state that we will NEVER be able to translate "fish language" into the King's English.

Dogs, dolphins and other creatures are FAR more advanced than fish, and we do know that they, in fact, can communicate with each other. Even so, we will never be able to transcribe those communications into anything other than basic phrases, if that. Babies also communicate, and we can't even translate those sounds--and they're human!

Animals--and fish especially--do not communicate in any way that would be "translatable" into proper sentence structures. In fact, I'm not even sure we know that fish communicate at all, other than through their colors.

But, if you must fabricate a twisted argument to justify the story line in Tomorrowland, you certainly have the right.

(Personally, I might suggest that the fish are in fact "time traveling aliens" from a distant but dying water-world who have been deployed to eventually take over Earth. How's that for a "futuristic" theme?)
    There also aren't any flying cars... But that doesnt mean that it will never happen... The future is undecided along with the technology that it will bring... You never know what is going to happen.... And anything is possible within the realm of possibilities so I don't see why a Translator that can translate any language is not a possible in the future...

• Unhelpful User

Let me remind all of you that the Star Tours universe is officially "a long long time ago" which makes it a horrible idea for Tomorrowland and it should be removed immediately.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    Let me remind all of you that the Star Tours universe is officially "a long long time ago" which makes it a horrible idea for Tomorrowland and it should be removed immediately.
    Exactly.

Clearly holographic projections, advanced robotics, travel at the speed of light, photon torpedos, anti-gravity technology, and amplified-light weapons such as light sabres are completely primitive; the work of neanderthals. Nothing futuristic about those concepts at all.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Snow_White_Raven View Post
    There also aren't any flying cars... But that doesnt mean that it will never happen
    You know, it's OK to state that's something is impossible. You won't self-destruct, I promise you!

For some reason, "anything is possible" has become a self-esteem building mantra for some. But, everything is not possible. There's no shame in this.

For instance, I assure you that it's impossible that I will ever be able to fly just by flapping my arms. It ain't gonna happen. I'll never play for the NBA. Impossible. And I'll never be 18 again. As much as we want to believe that "anything is possible."

Sad to say, but that's just not being realistic.

• Minion

Exactly.

Clearly holographic projections, advanced robotics, travel at the speed of light, photon torpedos, anti-gravity technology, and amplified-light weapons such as light sabres are completely primitive; the work of neanderthals. Nothing futuristic about those concepts at all.
    Actually, "A Long Time Ago" is apparently the late 1700's judging from a (non-canon Star Wars Tales short story) comic where Han and Chewie get stuck on Earth and Han is killed by Native Americans. The comic ends 150 years later with Indiana Jones finding the Millennium Falcon in the Pacific Northwest(The depressed Chewie became Bigfoot) but after seeing the rotting remains of Han, deciding to keep it quiet.
    Not cavemen who made all that cool crap, but still.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    they live in a different universe, their technology is still very futuristic to us... theres more of a problem with BLAB let me remind you

• Inhospitable about happy

In the future, people will be unable to tell the difference between a cartoon character and a real fish. So the new Subs fit.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

You know, it's OK to state that's something is impossible. You won't self-destruct, I promise you!

For some reason, "anything is possible" has become a self-esteem building mantra for some. But, everything is not possible. There's no shame in this.

For instance, I assure you that it's impossible that I will ever be able to fly just by flapping my arms. It ain't gonna happen. I'll never play for the NBA. Impossible. And I'll never be 18 again. As much as we want to believe that "anything is possible."

Sad to say, but that's just not being realistic.
    Well is Disneyland a land of FANTASIES world.
    where hope and dream may come true.
    I think eveyone need to relax and daydream.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Dec, 31

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by akfandisney View Post
    Well is Disneyland a land of FANTASIES world.
    Oh really? You need to read Disney's dedication for Disneyland. You need to memorize it. Then tell me where the word "fantasy" appears.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Disneyland Here I Come Again!
    October 1, to October 6, 2015

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Tomorrowland has failed because it has not followed Walt Disney's dictate as to what Tomorrowland should be.

The key point that is missing is "...the hope for a peaceful and unified world." Without this key element Tomorrowland fails to convey what Walt wanted it to. We live in an age that finally contains all the points made in his dedication but these items and technologies have failed to produce the peaceful and unified world that Walt obviously wanted to demonstrate.

Back in 1955 this was easy because the technology we now have wasn't around. Now we have these things and the world is far from peaceful and unified.

What does this have to do with the subs? Hearing fish talk -- I know that sounds ridiculous, but I think we are still trying to find that one technology that will make our lives better. Or maybe finding technology that will let us travel to Nemo's world, or at least to a world better than our own.

I know this sounds ridiculous. We think that everything has been invented that needs to be invented. But that one invention that promises a peaceful and unified world still hasn't been found. In many ways what Walt wanted for Tomorrowland in 1955 still is entirely valid for what we need for Tomorrowland in 2007.

• Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    What does this have to do with the subs? Hearing fish talk -- I know that sounds ridiculous, but I think we are still trying to find that one technology that will make our lives better. Or maybe finding technology that will let us travel to Nemo's world, or at least to a world better than our own.

I know this sounds ridiculous. We think that everything has been invented that needs to be invented. But that one invention that promises a peaceful and unified world still hasn't been found. In many ways what Walt wanted for Tomorrowland in 1955 still is entirely valid for what we need for Tomorrowland in 2007.
    I'm a bit confused--are you justifying "Nemo"'s inclusion in the TL panoply with the "ridiculous" fish talk argument; or are you criticizing the use of this "ridiculous" fish talk argument by those who use it to justify the "Nemo" presence in TL?!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast