Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How are the Subs NOT futuristic?

I'm referring to the "technology" that allows guests to understand the speech of fish. Since this and the idea of discovery are the center thematic concepts of the ride, it fully fits in Tomorrowland.

The Submarine Voyage takes us on a futuristic journey through liquid space where we will one day be able to understand the languages of fish and be captivated by the stories they will tell.

Are the Subs not futuristic because fish won't exist in the future? Is it because understanding fish speech is too futuristic? Is it because animated fish are less futuristic than fish that look realistic today?

Or is it because the timeless tale of Finding Nemo perhaps takes place in the present, despite the obvious employment of futuristic technology on the ride?

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: How are the Subs NOT futuristic?

Quote Originally Posted by wave789 View Post
    I'm referring to the "technology" that allows guests to understand the speech of fish.
    It is a stretch but I'll take it!

• Closed Account

I will go out on a limb here and state that we will NEVER be able to translate "fish language" into the King's English.

Dogs, dolphins and other creatures are FAR more advanced than fish, and we do know that they, in fact, can communicate with each other. Even so, we will never be able to transcribe those communications into anything other than basic phrases, if that. Babies also communicate, and we can't even translate those sounds--and they're human!

Animals--and fish especially--do not communicate in any way that would be "translatable" into proper sentence structures. In fact, I'm not even sure we know that fish communicate at all, other than through their colors.

But, if you must fabricate a twisted argument to justify the story line in Tomorrowland, you certainly have the right.

(Personally, I might suggest that the fish are in fact "time traveling aliens" from a distant but dying water-world who have been deployed to eventually take over Earth. How's that for a "futuristic" theme?)

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    It is a stretch but I'll take it!
    You can have it.

• Minion

how come we dont need a translater for buzz lightyear? toys cant talk and he only has limited phrases he can say!

• DL Nerd

I've actually Switched my position on Nemo in Tomorrowland.

Tomorrowland does not equate to only "space."

There is so much unexplored ocean out there and I think it is futuristic to explore the sea. and the Nemo ride could fit in nicely with that theme.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

That is a stretch to say the least. I'm perfectly Ok with the subs being there. We still have yet to fully understand the seas and ok with that to tie it into Tomorrowland even though a submarine itself is no longer futuristic. Maybe some day, we'll have cities under the sea and take subs to get there. But I doubt very seriously if we will ever be able to translate fish language, if it even can be called that, into our own. So that is really a stretch.

• DL Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by WSVR View Post
    That is a stretch to say the least. I'm perfectly Ok with the subs being there. We still have yet to fully understand the seas and ok with that to tie it into Tomorrowland even though a submarine itself is no longer futuristic. Maybe some day, we'll have cities under the sea and take subs to get there. But I doubt very seriously if we will ever be able to translate fish language, if it even can be called that, into our own. So that is really a stretch.

yeah I agree....

Exploring the ocean - fine
    Fish language - not so much.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Minion

exploring the seas where we run into nemo-ok
    basically a nemo dark ride-not so much

Quote Originally Posted by Junthor View Post
    There is so much unexplored ocean out there and I think it is futuristic to explore the sea. and the Nemo ride could fit in nicely with that theme.
    While I mostly agree with this, I'm not sure how a ride based on Finding Nemo reflects exploring new waters. Just like at Epcot where they put in the new Nemo ride there too in the Seas pavilion. While Turtle Talk might fit in to "Future World", a Finding nemo ride does not.
    Love WoC!!!

Next DL trip: August 2011

"What do you mean we can't get rid of those weeds in time? Then go over there and put some fancy signs with Latin names in front of them."
    -Walt Disney

Submarines and liquid space do fit, Nemo doesnt. What time period does Nemo take place in? Look at the city scenes for clarification. The answer is: today! Those must be some very old fish to be still around in the future. Basically, there is nothing futuristic about the film Finding Nemo. It is a contemporary fantasy with cartoon fish. It makes as much sense as sticking a Ratatoutie show in TL because it focuses on cooking with technology. Sure, cooking with technology could fit TL, and Ratatoutie fits with cooking, but Ratatoutie however does not fit with TL. Same with Nemo. Nemo fits subs and subs fit TL, but Nemo doesnt fit TL.

If it has just been a cameo or gag, people wouldnt be as upset. But the ride is an elaborate darkride through the film. It's still a good ride, except the broken effects, but the theme is the issue.

• Banned User

The Submarine Voyage by itself is futuristic but the finding nemo tie-in is not.

Deep Sea Exploration and advances in marine technology will defenatly play a role in our future.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

People need to understand that Tomorrowland is not about the future. To be more precise, it is not about our material future, but our emotional and social future. We have invented things that supposedly should make our lives a lot easier than it was 40 years ago. What do we have now? Increased crime, the war in Iraq, pollution.

Tomorrowland is about the future, but a future in which the world exists in peace and harmony. The oceans haven't been explored to its fullest extent, and when we do get to explore the oceans on FNSV we get to experience a future unimaginable to what we have now. And even though materialistically the submarines and hydrophones are primitive by today's standards, the happiness and joy experienced while riding the subs and looking at Nemo's world assures us that the future will be bright and happy for all of us.

what broken effects Proffessortango?

I'm not so big a stickler on theme. to me that the subs are there is great and that Nemo is there is fine. And I'm not bothered by Nemo not quite fitting. That the subs fit the theme is enough for me. I know someone once plopped a mountain into Tomorrowland and Fantasyland that doesn't really quite fit either land's theme. That turned out OK.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast