Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Dreamer

Just what was it about the People Mover...

Oh...sorry, I mean the WED People Mover!

It is funny. When I look back at my young days riding on the People Mover, remembering even slightly before the Tron element was added, I just thought it was boring. It seemed like a chill out ride that my parents made us go on to rest our tiring feet. After being on rides like Thunder Mtn and the Matterhorn, it just seemed like a waste of time....it moved so slow!!! I remember one little part where it went downhill just a bit and the car seemed to move a tad faster, but still, it just wasn't enough!

Yet, there was something comforting about seeing those fun color cars ride around the track above and within TL. Not knowing which color car you were going to get as you boarded on that neat moving ramp. Somehow you cared about getting the red or yellow or blue one as a child.

I just find it funny that I find as an adult I now truly miss the very ride that down right bored me as a kid. Maybe I can appreciate now wanting to rest your feet as you observed the people below you, waiting in line for Inner Space (later ST), seeing the inside of Space Mtn, and shopping in the TL store. Maybe it is that I appreciate that the ride stood for something...Walt's vision for better public transportation in "the future." Or is it that there just seems to be a gaping hole now in TL with it gone...the heartbeat of the land...taking away a sense of being on the go..movement.

So just what is it about the People Mover for you? Why do you miss it? Or do you miss it? Any of you not really care for it back then, but now wish it were back?

(Side note: I grew up in L.A....so am a DL girl. Now I live in So. Fl and am becoming a WDW girl. I didn't get to ride the MK "people mover" last summer. I am so looking forward to it this Fall.)

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Re: Just what was it about the People Mover...

I miss it because it is one of the few things that I vividly remember from my childhood about one of the first trips I can recall to Disneyland (another is the smell of diesel from the submarines (they WERE diesel in the 90s, right?). That, and looking at it in hindsight, it gave Tomorrowland a great sense of motion and such.

• Banned User

It was cool because it was a tour of tomorrowland and older guests could relax on it and enjoy a nice long family attraction without having to wait in 3 hour lines and it was great for young kids because it got them excited about the future and they made up their own little adventures while riding it.

It was also cool how it just connected with other attractions and locals like Star Tours and TRON and gave you a preview of tomorrowland.

Why do i miss the peoplemover? well for starters i miss having anything on those tracks in TL. Vehicales of any sort on the above track in TL just added so much kinetic energy to the land of tomorrow. It was also my favorite ride next to pirates growing up. It was one of the first rides that i would go on when i first got to disneyland and it would be the last ride i would ride before i went home. I loved the feeling of being up high in TL and viewing the entire land plus some of FL and main st from up there. it was even more awesome at night especailly during the holidays and you could see a bird eyes view of small world with all of its holiday lights on it. Plus it was a nice and relaxing ride as well. And we need another attraction on the track once again.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

This may sound weird, but my favorite part of the Peoplemover was that you could sit down for 10 or so minutes and just go all over Tomorrowland and look into a lot of the attractions. My favorite thing was just being on this meandering trail throughout Tommorrowland, turning here and there, going above and under the Monorail track, and going through lots of cool tunnels. And this all was slow which added more to the leisurely feel of just roaming around Tomorrowland, spying in on different things.

• no flash photography...

as a small child I liked it because it was slow and non threatening. The faster rides rides scared me. Then as a teenager I went on it because it never had a line....yes, it was very boring.

I don't miss it, but at the same time it would be really nice to see the movement in tomorrowland again. I didn't even realize I missed the movement until the subs started going again.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

I can think of two reasons why people liked the People Mover so much. To illustrate this, I'd like to turn to old friends Franz Kafka and Ricky Rudd.

"Let me remind you of the old maxim: people under suspicion are better moving than at rest, since at rest they may be sitting in the balance without knowing it, being weighed together with their sins." - Franz Kafka

"Moving people and wrecking people are two different things. I choose to move people and not wreck them. You can be like a bull in a china closet and just run over people." - Ricky Rudd

So yeah - think about it.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

I miss the PM because it was the future of transportation. I live in AZ where there are no sub ways, Barts, or hardly and buses. This was also cool because you could see all of the TL attractions at once. For me personal I love any attraction that takes me in the air!!!! I love the Rocket Rods that came next and I will probably love whatever comes next even if it is Pixar (not to open that can of worms again). I am excited about the future of our beloved park!!!!
    Jeff

• now on the mainland

When I was a kid it was my favorite ride. Being small I was afraid of the loud, fast rides like Matterhorn and Thunder Mt. How could they be fun if people were screaming on them? The Peoplemover was a "safe" ride. I could enjoy it with my family. Whether I went with my parents, or with my grandparents it was a ride I could count on for all of us to ride. Although outdated now, TRON was especially fun because, to me as a young child, it gave the illusion of going fast without that sick feeling in my stomach.
    As an adult I wish I could relive the old days with TRON, and I know that will probably never happen again. But I guess the PM means more to me because it once symbolized safety, security, no fear, and brought the whole family together, facing each other without anyone driving.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

When I was a kid, I didn't find this boring in the slightest. I don't know why. Maybe because I was just loving Disneyland so much and wanted to see EVERYTHING and from every angle possible. I loved the cheesy music, I loved seeing rides that I was too scared to go on (space mountain), and it was just.... well... AWESOME.

But maybe I have a different take on it since I was riding the People Mover long before I ever did the Big Thunder Mountain or Matterhorn or even Space.

I just love this ride so much and it really did burn like a muther when they removed it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Traveler to the south

I miss it for the same reasons that you all have posted. It was a great way to relax, look at the sights around you and feel that you were a part of the future. It's funny how someone brought up the smell of diesel in TL because at dinner tonight I was talking about the same thing. The whole package just reminds me of being a little kid and having the best vacations ever...
    "Remember: when life gives you lemons, just be glad you're not a zebra."
    - Skipper Mike

• Animatronic

The people mover was as exciting as Tomorrowland. Back when there were live bands on the Space Stage, moving subs in the lagoon, futuristic cities over COP, motor boats, and exciting new attractions with peek throughs, the WEDWAY People Mover was endlessly exciting.

I wonder if they have a peek through to Buzz that would let you see the animatronic? The people mover could be cool once again.

• Loves Fajita!

Even as a 13 year old that spent most of my day running from mountain to mountain, I enjoyed the break and the Tomorrowland scenery along the way.

Does anyone know if the WED Way in Disneyland goes (went) faster or slower than the one in WDW (TTA)....

Why Disneyland PeopleMover ruled....Superspeed Tunnel!

And I believe that the one in WDW is a tad faster than in DL (I remember that it varied in speeds depending where you were in the ride...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast