Thread: Pay To Preview?

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Question Pay To Preview?

Hello everybody,

After reading the "I have a bad feeling about this..." thread an idea came to me. Now, I'm not saying it's great, nor am I saying it's bad. I just figured I'd throw it out there.

What if Disney came up with a way for anybody to preview attractions (AKA Toy Story Midway Mania), but they have to pay a previewing fee? This way the general public would get the chance to see some attractions before they "officially" become unveiled?

I know the lottery system is already implemented for AP holders, but by allowing more than just APers into the preview Disney could get a much more rounded feedback on the attraction.

It's just a thought. I already have a hunch everybody's gonna boo me for this. But I figured I'd mention it.

...Joe...

• See you there!

Re: Pay To Preview?

Quote Originally Posted by JosephTNielsen View Post
    Hello everybody,

After reading the "I have a bad feeling about this..." thread an idea came to me. Now, I'm not saying it's great, nor am I saying it's bad. I just figured I'd throw it out there.

What if Disney came up with a way for anybody to preview attractions (AKA Toy Story Midway Mania), but they have to pay a previewing fee? This way the general public would get the chance to see some attractions before they "officially" become unveiled?

I know the lottery system is already implemented for AP holders, but by allowing more than just APers into the preview Disney could get a much more rounded feedback on the attraction.

It's just a thought. I already have a hunch everybody's gonna boo me for this. But I figured I'd mention it.

...Joe...
    Well, they do have this for Club 33 members, a special preview night with dinner at the Club for a "reasonable" Club price, last one I heard about was a couple of hundred per person.

They also used to have AP preview times at WDW (be nice to have AP preview parties at DL).

Pay for preview, OK, some would go, some wouldn't. All OK.

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Helping build Tomorrow

I love to see a Hard Ticket party event for new attractions. Make it like $50, and then give them access to the attraction, and a small party. Something smaller than MNSSH, but the same feel, but with the new attraction open.
    -Monorail Man

That would be so cool. They could give you a box of cookies with a mickey rice krispy thing and a couple of chocolate covered strawberries for the occasion worth about $5 and charge you $60. People will pony up so fast, you have to call at 8 am when reservations start to get a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    I love to see a Hard Ticket party event for new attractions. Make it like $50, and then give them access to the attraction, and a small party. Something smaller than MNSSH, but the same feel, but with the new attraction open.
    That would definately be cool! Maybe make it be an after hours party? And on top of that give everybody that attended a limited edition pin that only people at the attraction preview get. Only make about 200 copies - if that even.

Oh, and since I'm tired and am having a "D'UH" Moment, what does MNSSH stand for? LOL

...Joe...

The risk is that the previews are used to work out operational bugs and such. People who pay may get upset if there are unexpected waits or closures.

I would love to see them bring back the preview center. I still have fond memories of seeing the Splash Mountain model out for viewing for many years prior to the attraction opening.
    The Mur

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post
    The risk is that the previews are used to work out operational bugs and such. People who pay may get upset if there are unexpected waits or closures.

I would love to see them bring back the preview center. I still have fond memories of seeing the Splash Mountain model out for viewing for many years prior to the attraction opening.
    Oh wow! That sounds really cool! It would be REALLY nice to see something like that for what is planned for DCA. LOL

As for the issues of if the new attraction were to breakdown I guess there could be a full or half refund policy implemented. After all after what Monorail Man suggested about a party and such the guests couldn't say they weren't getting a service. Heck, a free pin, as much food and desserts as they want, music, dancing, etc. I could see getting a 50% refund.

But, that's just my take on it. I'm probably more understanding than most would be though I suppose.

...Joe...

• Unhelpful User

I don't see how people paying extra for something they'll be able to do for "free" (or at least without paying additional fee on top of park tickets) would offer a more rounded opinion. If anything those people would be the diehard fans and we all know those people aren't known for their rational opinions relating to the park.

• OM NOM NOM

I'm willing to attend any DL event, so long as they provide those DELICIOUS choco-covered strawberries. \(^-^)/

In all seriousness though, I think it would be a great idea if technical issues on new attractions weren't a part of life. Also, the price range would have to be relatively sound if you want people who aren't die-hards.
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

• Minion

Blog Entries

I wish they would bring this idea back... My aunt went to the Indy preview party... she loved that thing...
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

Quote Originally Posted by JosephTNielsen View Post
    That would definately be cool! Maybe make it be an after hours party? And on top of that give everybody that attended a limited edition pin that only people at the attraction preview get. Only make about 200 copies - if that even.

Oh, and since I'm tired and am having a "D'UH" Moment, what does MNSSH stand for? LOL

...Joe...
    Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween (Party)
    Love WoC!!!

Next DL trip: August 2011

"What do you mean we can't get rid of those weeds in time? Then go over there and put some fancy signs with Latin names in front of them."
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post

I'd love for them to bring back the preview center too. I never got to see it though because it was closed by the time I went. It seems like a great way to get people who aren't as obsessed as us excited about new attractions.
    The daydream princess

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    I don't see how people paying extra for something they'll be able to do for "free" (or at least without paying additional fee on top of park tickets) would offer a more rounded opinion. If anything those people would be the diehard fans and we all know those people aren't known for their rational opinions relating to the park.
    The reason for which I stated that if anybody could buy a preview ticket would give Disney a much more rounded opinon is because AP holders tend to put Diseny on such an insanely high level or expectations that sometimes the reviews they get from us (AP holders) isn't all the time realistic. By allowing the general public who are coming in from out of town, out of the country, etc., it is allowing the company to find out what the world wants, not just the AP holders from Southern California/California.

Quote Originally Posted by eyes_of_mara View Post
    I'm willing to attend any DL event, so long as they provide those DELICIOUS choco-covered strawberries. \(^-^)/

In all seriousness though, I think it would be a great idea if technical issues on new attractions weren't a part of life. Also, the price range would have to be relatively sound if you want people who aren't die-hards.
    I agree. I don't think charing $40 would be asking for too much. Maybe $50 tops. Not to mention if a souviner bag was given out to the attendees it would make it all worth while. I know when I went to opening night of Celine Dion's show, A New Day..., Caesar's Palace had placed goodie bags on all of the seats - all 4,100+ of them! We got a copy of the show program, her then new CD One Heart, a Chrysler keychain, a bookmark, a personal message from Celine and Franco Dragone, the creator of Cirque du Soleil & Celine's show, and a bottle of her parfum/perfume. Plus the box/bag that the items came in was uniquely designed. Something that you can't just pick up at any department store.

...Joe...

Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL View Post
    Well, they do have this for Club 33 members, a special preview night with dinner at the Club for a "reasonable" Club price, last one I heard about was a couple of hundred per person.
    Indeed they have. For almost every new attraction since the Club first opened in 1967. It's literally a Club 33 tradition! Often they include normal rides, maintenance mode rides, and even walk-through's. Usually in the company of Imagineers.

Here's the invite from the most recent one for Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage:

Wink Re: Pay To Preview?

Quote Originally Posted by DLR29 View Post
    Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween (Party)
    Thanks! I guess I was just having a dumb moment.

...Joe...