Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Why the PeopleMover Tracks Should Be Torn Down

Before you guys start lookin' for the rope to lynch me with, let me present my case . A popular topic lately has been the theming issues with Nemo, BLAB, and the recent Pirate's Lair "refurb". All should know by now my feelings regarding these attractions, so I will spare you all the horror of having to read my criticisms yet again .

The PeopleMover: a relaxing, full-circle scenic tour of Tomorrowland, inside and out.
    Rocket Rods: A frenetic stop and go race around Tomorrowland, inside and out.

"IncrediPods" are the current front-runners to be the next heir apparent to the touring tracks of the original PM. The question I pose is simple, but complex: does it deserve a chance to "work"?
    Personally I would rather see the PM tracks done away with altogether than have another TL attraction stray further from the spirit of innovation and discovery that TL used to embody. Before you decide, I would ask you read this well-crafted, and thoughtful post submitted in another thread:

"This was what Walt read when Tomorrowland was opened:

Tomorrowland:

A vista into a world of wondrous of ideas signifying manís achievement a step into the future with predictions of constructive things to come.

Tomorrow offers new frontiers in science, adventure and ideals. The atomic age, the challenge of outer space and the hope for a peaceful, unified word.

The first sentence to me would be somewhat of a mission statement as to what Tomorrowland should have in it, at least in my opinion." --Cindersgirl

Is this new PM incarnation going to need more alibis (like its more recent neighbors) in order to explain its inclusion in TL? Are we going to shrug our shoulders and say, "Well, at least there is something up there..."? Or do we want, and deserve to get, more than that?

Is Tomorrowland used to performing thematic gymnastics in order to justify its attractions? For sure (i.e. Autopia, America Sings, BLAB, Finding Nemo, etc.). Does this mean it has to become a TL Tradition? Your thoughts?

• Fighter Pilot

Re: Why the PeopleMover Tracks Should Be Torn Down

the only reason to me to tear it down, is to open the area between Buzz and Star Tours just for the room to actually walk around there. Thats pretty much it

•   
    • Main Street VIPs

Wink Re: Why the PeopleMover Tracks Should Be Torn Down

And while we're at it, let's fill in the sub lagoon. It's not good for anything...
    Rick

• Closed Account

I agree with Swab. Recently, Disney has shown an incredible lack of understanding of its own theme park, and why it worked so well in the past. They seem to be taking existing infrastructure that was often well-themed, and ruining it through lack of understanding and imagination.

Maybe it's time to start with a blank slate here?

• Banned User

The problem with wanting the People Mover tracks removed rather than having yet another inappropriately themed attraction in Tomorrowland is that this assumes it will not be replaced with different poorly themed (for the area) attraction.

The problem is not with the existing infrastructure, it is with Disneyland management.

I'd rather keep the tracks and push for better theming up there, or have them left empty until something futuristic could be installed rather than yet another cartoon tie in.

• Fighter Pilot

not to mention peoplemover kills and rocket rods gave out neck injuries....plus many other reasons it closed in the first place

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wulfblat View Post
    I'd rather keep the tracks and push for better theming up there, or have them left empty until something futuristic could be installed rather than yet another cartoon tie in.
    I agree. They need to have SOMETHING there to help add to the kinetic feel of the area. But in recent years Disney has started to stray away from the attention to detail and exact theming that they have been know for. I don't know if this slippage in theme is from laziness or lack of vision but the People Mover track has potential.... but it does need to be done right and not just slap something Pixar up there for the sake of having something.

Although the idea of the "Incredipods" does have a futuristic feel to it, I for one don't want to see Tomorrowland turned into Pixarland.
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 06-22-2007 at 09:32 AM. Reason: pft... spelling....

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

My understanding is that the People Mover tracks are also part of the reinforcement for some of the buildings in Tomorrowland. They can't tear them down without affecting the other structures.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeMan33 View Post
    the only reason to me to tear it down, is to open the area between Buzz and Star Tours just for the room to actually walk around there. Thats pretty much it

You'd get more room by removing the Astro Orbitor from the entrance!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Fighter Pilot

that too, but thats more as a pavilion then walkway

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    "This was what Walt read when Tomorrowland was opened:

Tomorrowland:
    A vista into a world of wondrous of ideas signifying manís achievement a step into the future with predictions of constructive things to come.

Tomorrow offers new frontiers in science, adventure and ideals. The atomic age, the challenge of outer space and the hope for a peaceful, unified word.
    Quote Originally Posted by wulfblat View Post
    The problem is not with the existing infrastructure, it is with Disneyland management.

First off, excellent thread idea fo'c's'le. A PM thread that isn't simply about bringing it back. Walt's words about TL are some of my favorite of his. Tomorrowland long ago left those ideas behind. Science hasn't been a part of Tomorrowland in quite a while. It used to be the central theme with the Hall of Chemistry and ATIS and even the Subs (for their day). As fun as Incredipods would be, they do NOT belong in Tomorrowland at all. An argument can be made for Buzz to be there, but not Incredibles. Star Tours and Space Mountain both work as well. I have actually been reading over past Disney patents (yes, I am that much of a geek) and last night came across the patent on the technology behind Rocket Rods (not the ride itself, but the ride system). There is a HUGE amount of potential uses for it. I think it is very possible to come up with something that fits the theme of science and space and a brighter, peaceful future that utilizes the track again. I think Imagineering should be given the project goal of creating an attraction that is wholly new, not based on a movie in any way, that matches Walt's statement of intent for Tomorrowland. I know they can do it. I think, as wulfblat put it, that the problem is not with infrastructure, it is with management. Management needs to put a little more faith in the creativity of WDI and allow them to do what they do best.

There are some very forward thinking ideas behind the ride system currently installed on the PM track. Whenever decelerating or going down hill, the ride vehicles (be they rocket rods or whatever else you put up there) actually generate electricity that is transfered via the 3 bus bars next to the central rail to a batter backup system. This generated power can be used by the ride system or any of the ride vehicles to accelerate or go uphill. It is an energy saving device that is a good idea for the future. The patent also shows multiple other tracking systems the vehicles could utilize, including monorail type tracks as well as tri-rail layouts inside of tubes. There is huge potential for the ride system and I would like to see what they could come up with given the opportunity. I would like to see management take a risk and make something original.

From what I understand of Rocket Rods, it failed because the tractive wheels that drove it wore out to quickly and were constantly being replaced. The ride simply had to high of a maintenance cost. (I may be wrong on that so please, correct if you know more than I on that one). I really think that the track should be given a chance to shine again, properly. There is room up towards small world for an additional station that could turn it into a transportation system between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland even, but keep it far enough out of actual Fantasyland proper that a thematic intrusion is not committed.

Sorry this is so long and the ranting feel of it. Again, excellent thread fo'c's'le swab!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Minion

I would rather see the vehicles be the time traveling machines used in Meet The Robinsons and use them to travel back and forward through time to see actual realistic vistas rather than ride through another movie.
    Last edited by Pirate Lover 68; 06-22-2007 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Cause I used the wrong movie as an example.

No, I say leave them up and come up with an updated Mover type ride. I don't want the old PeopleMover back, that would be NostalgiaLand. I also would not want to see an attraction based on a movie (Incredipods).

The old PeopleMover was a relaxing tour of TL, every ride does not have to be a white knuckle screamer, try to capture that feel. A ride where you can talk with others in your car about where you want to go next, where you have been, or whatever.

If they really wanted to do it up right they'd add a second station, maybe over towards ToonTown so the new Mover actually took you somewhere.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Rocket Rods failed because Disney decided to be cute and integrate a system onto the track that it couldn't handle. Stop and go for ANY ride isn't good and since the turns weren't banked, you're just asking for disaster.

EDIT: I like Pirate Lover's idea. It's PERFECT. The time machines from Meet the Robinsons and the tunnels can have different scenes from throughout time.

Time travel is still a fanciful notion that some people think can happen in the future.

• Minion

Put something on those cool tracks. We'll never get anything better.

"One in the hand is worth three in the bush."

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast