Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Lord of the Ribs

Thumbs up Bonedaddy's SHAG report

Mrs BD and I were able to take in the SHAG Cocktail Hideaway event on Friday. We came up from San Diego, stayed at the Candy Cane Inn, and made it part of a “parent’s” weekend, enjoying DL during the day, and a slow leisurely trip back down the coast on Saturday with brunch in San Juan Capistrano.

We arrived at the Paradise Pier Hotel at 6:30, parked in the structure out back, and picked up our registration packets without delay. A nice surprise was finding that we were each being given a set of the announcement postcards, in addition to the personal photos and the parting gift. We then had our picture taken, again without delay, in front of SHAG’s map of Disneyland. A few steps away was the merchandise room and the process to gather up all of the goodies we purchased was fast and efficient. Our haul included a shirt, two mugs, two serving trays, two sets of coasters, the memory book, and a set of petite prints. Nothing is to be resold, but a few things are gifts. We carried everything to the car and then returned to the hotel’s lounge for a drink to start the night as we awaited the opening.

At 8pm sharp, they pulled back the curtains, opened the doors and we all entered…the Cocktail Hideaway. It was a dark room with tall tables scattered about. Candles on the tables did much of the lighting. Around the room were various pieces of SHAG art, most highlighting parts of Disneyland, some simply the kind of SHAG kitsch we’ve come to love. As you might expect, everything was very colorful.

Against two walls were food stations offering a variety of fruits, cheeses, and breads. Two festive dessert tables contained some delicious sweets: a lightly glazed puff pastry in the usual Mickey shape, bonbons containing a slightly sweet purple mousse dusted in cocoa, a pink strawberry flavored concoction that reminded us of a Hostess Snoball, only much better, and cups of something that we never did get around to tasting. Two bartenders on opposite sides of the room served a variety of drinks including three different martinis (apple, melon, and lemon), a decently made cosmopolitan, and beer and wine. Servers roamed the room for most of the night offering some very good hor’s doeuvre. There was rock shrimp combined with a spicy herbal accompaniment placed on baguette, empanadas served with a spicy cream sauce in a martini glass, tuna tartare with a spicy (note the trend here) relish in a pastry cup, and sausage and (what else?) spicy tomato sauce on a bitesize pizza round. We think. As the night wears on and we eat and drink, memories become somewhat fuzzy and we don’t write things down. What we do remember is that everthing was quite good and plentiful.

In one corner of the room was the band and a dance floor. Named The Swingin’ Shagateers, this trio played jazz and light background all night. Our entertainment director for the evening was an attractive young woman dressed in a tour guide outfit and was accompanied by two other singers. Throughout the night, they would come out and sing a Disneyland favorite, changed in a way that only the Shagateers could pull off. Within a few minutes of opening, SHAG was introduced to the group, and he immediately made his way to the line for drinks. My kind of guy, no doubt about it.

And that set the theme for the night. We ate, drank, and mingled. There were many Resort people there. Some were obviously making sure that everything was going well, others simply enjoying the party and we wondered if they were there to round out the guest list. I didn’t count the number of people, but it looked like there were less than one hundred total. It didn’t seem crowded or oversold in the least. The wait for drinks was reasonable most of the time and sometimes non-existent. There was always a server nearby offering food.

SHAG was constantly talking with people and roamed as best he could given the tendency of guests to surround him. Most were polite, yet there were a few that needed a good dose of manners. He dealt with all in the same good natured way. Many photos were taken and not once did he appear to tire of it. If he had a handler, it wasn’t obvious other than when he backed into a table and spilled his drink, only to have it replaced by somebody within less than a minute. Our conversation with him lasted a few minutes, which was fine. He let us in on the background for a particular piece of his work that we own, and realized out loud that he had never told anybody about it until this evening. We were most appreciative of that as his works are definitely conversation starters in our house.

About 10:00, we went out to get our parting gift. We expected it might be something related to the five lands, and it was. Each guest was given a randomly selected image encased in acrylic. We hoped for Tomorrowland and/or Adventureland (the crowd favorites) but received Main Street and Fantasyland. No complaints here, though, because a gift is a gift, and hey, they’re cool. The original pieces, being offered for $10000 each, were on display as well. They’re truly gorgeous. As bright and colorful as the prints are, the originals take on a life all of their own. Back in the lounge, some guests were trying to trade gifts, but I suspect not many actually changed hands. Those who held the desired lands were little tempted to trade.

With less than 30 minutes left in the evening, one last musical treat was to be had. As the Shagateers started bopping to The Main Street Electrical Parade, the crowd clapped (and snapped; that's hip you know) with delight. Little did we know that the best was truly left for last. Parading through the room comes none other than Cinderella’s ballroom dancers and those patriotic Americans, all lit up with electrical lights. The crowd hooted their approval as the dancers danced and the patriots high kicked and saluted their way through the number. When it was over, we made our way back to the car, and out of the lot (without having to pay, I might add, as the gates were open), back to the hotel we were staying at.

All in all, it was a shagtastic night. Kudos to Disneyland and the event folks for giving us a fun time.

Eat meat. Your daddy sez it's good for ya.

• Minion

Thanks for all the great details! It sounds like a wonderful evening.

• Part of Your World

Can you buy Shag stuff at Disneyland now? Or was this only for people that attended?

• Prefect

Blog Entries
    wow!!! thanks for all of the great details! i was tempted to buy tickets at the last minute (they were still available on the website), but i just couldn't do it. it sounds like it was a great night.

i went on saturday morning to the signing event. it was wonderfully done, easy to navigate & well-staffed. SHAG was very pleasant & gracious. i'm going to be sending an email to let the event planners know how well i think it went.

emilystrange, you can check at the disneyana shop on main st. to see if there is anything left. they still had some of the SHAG tiki room merch. there, as well as the 5 lands merch. they have had tiki room merch in the adventureland bazaar shop as well.
    <o>

• Gay Man

All of the Shag Swag is available at Disneyana. As of last night, there were limited sizes of the JC shirt, but everything else was readily available. We spent our wad (minus 20% discount coupon) at about 10:30 last night with plenty to choose from.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Great report BD! You get my vote for commentary on the anniversary weekend.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Social Imagineer

Ooooh, sounds like an awesome time! Shagtastic.

I went to the signing event Saturday morning, and Josh was still as gracious and untiring as he is reported to have been the night before. I loaded up on Shag swag and had my three new petite prints signed in interesting locations. Being that I got to purchase everything I wanted, got to meet Josh, and got stuff Shagragraphed ... I was wondering what the point was of spending the oodles of cash to go the event on Friday evening.

Thanks to BoneDaddy, now I know. Fun galore. Shagadelic pleasantness of the highest order. Ah well, I blew my entire available wad on the swag, so that's all the Shag I could have afforded in any event.

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)
    Sounds hip, trendy, and utterly fantastic! Thanks!
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• Rat Tat Tat.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyJCA
    Sounds hip, trendy, and utterly fantastic! Thanks!

Wait a minute...that sounds familiar...but last time it didn't turn out so well...(DCA!!)

Anyway, that sounds like lots of fun! I want a JC shirt!

• ºoº Tom ºoº

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyStrange
    Can you buy Shag stuff at Disneyland now? Or was this only for people that attended?
    As of Sunday morning all the merchandize was still available other than the Tiki Mugs. Limited items like shirts and purses were going fast, there seemed to be a lot of prints still avaiable as well as the server tray and Shag china. Also not sure about the large prints for $995? I stood in line Sat morning right in front of Innerspaceman and Evil Minion to get merchandize and get it signed. Josh Agle is a really great person in person.

Bummer was the line was so short they let people go around again I could have gotten more of my prints signed! Grrrrrrrr! Oh well! He signed my Main Street print!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Wow, I wish I could have gone!

I went to the Saturday signing as well, and my friends helped me get all 5 of my prints signed and then another set for my brother as well

Shags a great guy, my brother did an online interview with him for a now-defunct website I used to run, he was very generous in helping us with the interview... My brother and I also met him in person once before for an reception for the Pirate-themed art show at Sixspace Gallery in Los Angeles (www.sixspace.com)

Really nice guy, Shag is. I'm glad I got all of my prints signed. I'm regretting not getting a Tiki mug, but then again, I'm glad I held back - I really have no use for it.. and nowhere to put it, but my petite prints will sure look good on my wall once I get some frames!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Me and Tommy Kirk

I was there! It was VERY COOL. BoneDaddy, I came up from San Diego too. The food was fantastic, and I was really excited about the SHAG tiles they gave us. I got Fantasyland!

• Lord of the Ribs

Just a word to anybody buying the shirt. This one runs a bit smaller than the previous le shirt. If you're one the border between two sizes, go for the larger one.

Out of all of the merchandise, I think the tray is our favorite. Although, after seeing the wooden purse up close, Mrs BD kinda wished she had gotten one of those as well.

Eat meat. Your daddy sez it's good for ya.

How do the Dumbo t-shirts fit? Are they unisex or more like a women's baby tee? Do they look cute in person?

• ºoº Tom ºoº

Quote Originally Posted by HebeJebe
    How do the Dumbo t-shirts fit? Are they unisex or more like a women's baby tee? Do they look cute in person?
    Defintly Baby T's----way cute. My sister in law went for one and it so cuteeee.

FYI- Heard a Disney publisist and Josh Agle talking while I got stuck at the table with him for 5 minutes. He will be back in September, which we already knew about for the Disney map, I think I heard early Sept, and based on the success of Friday night's event and the way it affected the crowds on Saturday, I would say expect a similar set up because everyone in the Disneyana was so happy that it was so mello and smooth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast