Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Jungle Cruise Holiday makeover?

I honestly think with the two holiday layovers, there's enough Christmas in Disneyland. If there were to be another, I would say it should go to DCA. It felt lacking compared to how Christmasy DL was.

Maybe a show of some sort?

• "I Break Things"

JC could technically cover Kwanza.

Ugh. Please no more Christmas at DL. I understand that DL is supposed to be a fantasy destination, which means Christmas fits right in with being fantasy, but come on! I don't mind DL being decorated during the holidays, but it shouldn't have any references to human religions. DCA can wallow in all the Christmas crap it wants, but not DL.

• Basking in birthday love

Adventureland is set in Darkest Africa in 1938. Christianity hasn't exactly penetrated very far yet. Celebrating Christmas in Adventureland threatens to break show.

And don't even get me started on Kwanzaa, which was invented in the 1960s.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Minion

Exactly why it would be ok if there were some victoiran toys and stuff around the camp in the jungle cruise.

its not the hippos will be wearing santa hats!

Quote Originally Posted by JosephTNielsen View Post
    As much as I like the attempt in the idea I'd have to say no. I'd rather see The Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room get a holiday layover before Jungle Cruise.
    Actually as part of the recent major refurb of Tiki Room, it got a new state-of-the-art show control system that allows for easy "swapping out" of entire shows, for just this "makeover" reason. A Tiki Room "Mele Kalikimaka" show was one that was actually being blueskied in a very rough form at the time. Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see it come someday soon.

I know the Jungle Cruise did get a "makeover" one time. I've been fortunate to be able to attend so many Grand Openings/Press/WDI Events of new attractions/parks/etc I can't keep 'em all straight in my head anymore. Not sure which event it was, but it might have been the Invitational Grand Opening Party for the Indiana Jones attraction. For sure it was Disneyland in California though.

It was at night and the Jungle Cruise had been made-over to "Find Simba."

They had planted 100 stuffed toys of Simba throughout the jungle! They were "hidden" everywhere...often very cleverly and often hysterically. Way up in bamboo. In the lion's mouth (not so hidden). Skewered on a native's spear. Strapped and soaked in the jaws of a rising hippo. That sort of thing.

The boat's exterior lights were turned off and each rider was given a flashlight and you went through the ride scouring every square inch you could with your flashlight beam looking for Simbas and trying to find all 100 of them. The whole boat of folks (including on my boat the future Governor of California) were hysterically trying to find them all which the pilot was keeping count. Standing, shoving, stretching, pointing, shouting. It was a riot (perhaps the cocktails being served at the event helped) with everyone cracking up and shouting "There's one!" or "Poor Simba!"

A lot of folks ran right from the exit to get in line again!

Really...never laughed so long and hard in my life. It was great fun.

Hey...maybe that was where they got the whole idea for seasonal attraction "makeovers?"

• Minion

that simba thing seems more a private thing though

• "I Break Things"

Smile Re: Jungle Cruise Holiday makeover?

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak View Post
    Adventureland is set in Darkest Africa in 1938. Christianity hasn't exactly penetrated very far yet. Celebrating Christmas in Adventureland threatens to break show.

And don't even get me started on Kwanzaa, which was invented in the 1960s.
    Jungle Cruise is a British Company and it flies the Union Jack. The British, specifically Queen Victoria, are credited with bringing Christmas traditions to the Western World. The British also stopped WW1 for a Christmas Truce. If ANYONE were to celebrate Christmas in ALL of Adventureland it would be Jungle Cruise.

Kwanzaa, invented in the 1960's but has roots tracing back to Africa itself.

Anytime you have a collision of cultures (Deepest Africa) you have a mixture of beliefs, rituals, and celebrations. IF they celebrated in a rainforest then a Victorian evergreen tree would be completely out of place. They would use local supplies and local materials. Lots of straw, goards, packages wrapped in banana leaves and things like that. Definately lots of holiday mail and possibly a toy or two but it was the Depression so people did what they could just to get by. I could also go into the business promotional speech (Depression Era Tourism did EVERYTHING to attract clients). but I'd run out of room.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post

They had planted 100 stuffed toys of Simba throughout the jungle! They were "hidden" everywhere...often very cleverly and often hysterically. Way up in bamboo. In the lion's mouth (not so hidden). Skewered on a native's spear. Strapped and soaked in the jaws of a rising hippo. That sort of thing.

Thank you, It is a rare occasion to read something on here that was that long ago and I was actually a part of. The ENTIRE crew was in DEEP **** for that little stunt. It was one of several night where Imagineering showed up and said "go hide these". After that night they cut back on the amount and it became the Lead's responsibility. Not sure if you remember the one dangling from a bamboo poll above Schweitzer, or the one who was cleverly placed so his head was on the skull canoe, one being stepped on by the Bull and another impaled on a Rhino's horn. The best was the one the Hippo ate! DEEP **** but worth EVERY MOMENT

• Comin' at ya!

sounds like an interesting idea...don't know how they'd do it tho
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• Where's the rum?

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Friend brought this up a while back.

If you use the color/theme of the Africa Scene in Small World Holiday, apply holiday music (also holiday broadcasts) in the boathouse, add in some Victorian era toys, gifts and mail (packages etc.) and re-theme the boats you could technically have a JC Holiday.

My question is #1 would it work and #2 would anyone want to see it?
    I'd like to see the shrunken heads at the end of the ride with Christmas bows on them (all different colors of course). I don't want to kiss any under the mistletoe though.

Also, what about “Shrunken head Ned” dispensing Christmas cards instead of medical advice? Just a thought.
    "Not all treasure is silver and gold mate"

• missing the DisneyGallery

Quote Originally Posted by JosephTNielsen View Post
    As much as I like the attempt in the idea I'd have to say no. I'd rather see The Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room get a holiday layover before Jungle Cruise.

...Joe...
    No please no. I had to sit the Country Bears Holiday for 4 or 5 Christmas' in a row, because the only time my family could get together was over the holidays. I couldnt see my favorite attraction at all because it happened to be during the holiday season.

When attractions were original

I have to be a negative on the whole Holiday Makeover thing. I can only come to the park about once a year and that generally happens in the fall. Either a favorite is down for "makeover" or it just isn't the same. I don't mind extreior decorations and programs but I prefer the rides interiors to be left alone.

I know folks that go more often like the whole change up however and find it to be a "special" and "magical" experience. I guess I'm just boring.

I agree with the previous masses it would be better off to give the Tiki Room a holidy make over first. I would love to see in the end a majority of rides have a holiday makeover. It would make the experiences change seasonally with each ride like HMH.

excuse me...i just threw up a bit in my mouth....

this idea is going a little overboard...no pun intended

i'd rather see the idea i read about a while ago that incorporated mele kilaki (or whatever) into the Enchanted Tiki Room for Christmas.

• Minion

NO!!
    I want my cake back!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast