Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Lightbulb Re: Jungle Cruise Holiday makeover?

I think that a Jungle Cruise holiday makeover is a great idea. It just depends what would appeal to the masses. Some people might like to see some sort of a storyline unfold during the ride. Others might like simple scattered decorations. Still Others may just want to just see a hippo come out of the water with a candycane in its mouth. I would love to see some natives dancing around a christmas tree. Better yet, in the current scene with the rhino chasing the men up the pole, the pole could be replaced with a christmas tree! I think it would be really neat if it "snowed" throughout the entire ride. Kids would really love that.

<----Me at Disneyland!!!!

• Glad to hear: Flynn Lives

Re: Jungle Cruise Holiday makeover?

I think a very light "splash" of the holidays would be great on the good old JC. Maybe, just the expedition that also brought some holiday items to remind them of home this time of year... of course, the forgot to bring any for the rhino, so they still get it in the end.

Maybe they find some decorations in the Jeep that they are playing with. They keep trying to read the card backwards, but at least they turned over the jeep. Couldn't find the Hallmark on the back, though...

The tribesman could have gotten into the act, but the translator got it wrong, so they are preparing to hunt down the "Santa Claws" before he gets them.. (stretching it, I know)

Of course, the great S. Falls could be "Frozen over", which is probably rare in Africa, but hey... and here is something you don't see every day... the back side of... well it works better when it isn't frozen. (EDIT: I know, it is summer in Africa during Christmas... that is what you get for typing and thinking at the same time)

The extra variety you could add in the spiels would just be too fun to pass up, as long as they didn't overdo it and make the whole attraction too overly holiday. But with the right balance, I think it could be fun.

You could do one for Halloween as well, that could be a blast.
    Daffy: How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!
    Bugs: Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team The Ducks?

They could put a couple of reindeer hiding in the jungle somewhere during the holidays

• Disgruntled Former CM

Wink Re: Jungle Cruise Holiday makeover?

With all of the talk in these threads about "Correct Theming" in the Lands, shouldn't we be discussing a Kwaanza overlay for the Jungle Cruise?

Be it Christmas, Kwaanza, Yom Kippur, or St. Patrick's Day, I don't think that the JC is the correct (Politically, or otherwise...) attraction for a "Holiday Overlay"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by EvilQueen View Post
    With all of the talk in these threads about "Correct Theming" in the Lands, shouldn't we be discussing a Kwaanza overlay for the Jungle Cruise?

Be it Christmas, Kwaanza, Yom Kippur, or St. Patrick's Day, I don't think that the JC is the correct (Politically, or otherwise...) attraction for a "Holiday Overlay"
    I don't know about that.

I think you could get some of the permanent residents to support the idea of some Vegan festivals ...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I think I'd prefer it for the Tiki Room, but I think just in general Adventureland should have some holiday decor around.

As a side note, a lot of people celebrate Christmas but aren't Christians in the least. My father doesn't associate himself with any religion, but enjoys Christmas because it brings families together, spend time with each other. My neighbors across the street are Jewish, but give the kids toys for Christmas too (I kind of have a problem with this as I feel it's only to spoil their kids more, but that's just me). Santa has nothing to do with Jesus, nor do Christmas trees or candy canes or anything else of the like. It's a holiday that Christians associate themselves with, but unless someone can correct me, I don't think there's really anything religious about the holiday.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    I think I'd prefer it for the Tiki Room, but I think just in general Adventureland should have some holiday decor around.
    Whose holiday ?

• Banned User

I don't think so.

I'm sure there are some who want to see anything.

• Boogers are salty

HOLIDAY POTC......need I say more

• Boogers are salty

Quote Originally Posted by EvilQueen View Post

There isnt a thing African about Kwaanza, its Californian, they should do a a DCA Kwaanza Celebration

• Minion

DEFINITION OF KWANZAA Kwanzaa is a unique African American celebration with focus on the traditional African values of family, community responsibility, commerce, and self-improvement. Kwanzaa is neither political nor religious and despite some misconceptions, is not a substitute for Christmas. It is simply a time of reaffirming African-American people, their ancestors and culture. Kwanzaa, which means "first fruits of the harvest" in the African language Kiswahili, has gained tremendous acceptance. Since its founding in 1966 by Dr. Maulana Karenga, Kwanzaa has come to be observed by more than18 million people worldwide, as reported by the New York Times. When establishing Kwanzaa in 1966, Dr. Karenga included an additional "a" to the end of the spelling to reflect the difference between the African American celebration (kwanzaa) and the Motherland spelling (kwanza).

kwanza didnt even exist in the jungle cruises time

and u can be christian and celebrate kwanza

• Boogers are salty

Actually Maulana Karenga's real name is Ron he changed it to Afrocentricize his name, and no thats not a bad racist word, it is taken from Afrocentric.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post
    DEFINITION OF KWANZAA Kwanzaa is a unique African American celebration with focus on the traditional African values of family, community responsibility, commerce, and self-improvement. Kwanzaa is neither political nor religious and despite some misconceptions, is not a substitute for Christmas. It is simply a time of reaffirming African-American people, their ancestors and culture. Kwanzaa, which means "first fruits of the harvest" in the African language Kiswahili, has gained tremendous acceptance. Since its founding in 1966 by Dr. Maulana Karenga, Kwanzaa has come to be observed by more than18 million people worldwide, as reported by the New York Times. When establishing Kwanzaa in 1966, Dr. Karenga included an additional "a" to the end of the spelling to reflect the difference between the African American celebration (kwanzaa) and the Motherland spelling (kwanza).

kwanza didnt even exist in the jungle cruises time

and u can be christian and celebrate kwanza
    Thank you for the info...one quick question... WHAT WERE THE INFLUENCES? If you take a few moments you would realize that regardless of the date, 1966, the traditions that are represented and reflected date back well beyond the Victorian Era.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Jungle Skip

Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post
    Exactly why it would be ok if there were some victoiran toys and stuff around the camp in the jungle cruise.

its not the hippos will be wearing santa hats!
    Pretty close to that has happened before.

I'm not entirely sure, Tech can confirm or deny this, but I've been told that a Skip on his last day decided to go on safari and place santa hats on each and every animal and human in the JC.

Oh, and everyone going off about Tiki getting it? Anyone remember the backlash for changing WDW's Tiki to whatever the heck show it is now?

And please.... POTC holiday? THEY'RE FRIGGIN PIRATES! They most likely wouldn't celebrate the season, they loot, burn, rape, and pillage things. The likelyhood of them actually celebrating a religious holiday is rather low. Especially with the additions of Sparrow, Jones, and Barbossa.

If anyone in the Westside would do it outside of HMH, it'd be the Jungle. Indy's too themed already, Thunder doesn't make sense, POTC (refer above), Splash wouldn't make sense, Tiki (see above), Pooh... well... no one really rides that anyway.
    Way to Fail Skip!

"ADOS - Attention Deficit OOOH SHINY!" - Audra

"I will punch you in the Ovaries!" - JM

"Got Gas?" - SN

"C-12 I sink Battleship. YAY!" - Ninja

"Do you have crabs?" - DW

"What's in this alcohol?" - Anonymous

"Oy! You know we're going at the rocks, right?" - SN
    "SHUT UP! ASIAN DRIVER!" - GY

"Why is the water warm?" - SN
    "SORRY!" - AP

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Ironchefspam View Post
    Pretty close to that has happened before. I'm not entirely sure, Tech can confirm or deny this, but I've been told that a Skip on his last day decided to go on safari and place santa hats on each and every animal and human in the JC.
    I think I remember reading something similar but I wasn't there for that. I'm not as old as some of you make me out to be. I do remember Sherry making us animal print Santa Hats and Scarfs for a couple years. I'm not sure if she initially got managers approval or if it was like the crew shirts/jackets where we just did them among ourselves. Shortly before the costume change Management pointed the finger at WDI and said we could no longer wear the Santa Hats during the Holidays. Some of us knew WDI... WDI LOVED the hats and wanted to know why we couldn't wear them... Management was pissed that we pulled the punk card and asked! It was a bit embarrassing for them because they didn't we would check since they didn't think the hats meant anything to us. It's also when I started to loose respect for the team (prior to the big shift) because they did not have personal accountability... They decided to finger point instead of saying "We don't want it!" which I would have been fine with.

Oh, and everyone going off about Tiki getting it? Anyone remember the backlash for changing WDW's Tiki to whatever the heck show it is now?
    This has been brought up on numerous occasions. I remember working Tiki during the weeks before the rehab and people kept BEGGING us not to change it. I can only imagine the backlash if they started singing Hawaiian Christmas Carols!

If anyone in the Westside would do it outside of HMH, it'd be the Jungle.
    I did a great deal of research on this, some of it is in this thread. Jungle represents the Victorian Age and Queen Victoria is credited with INTRODUCING THE CHRISTMAS TREE to the WESTERN WORLD. Likewise the BRITISH STOPPED FIGHTING WW1 ON CHRISTMAS DAY and have spread Christmas traditions mixed with local customs to all of their respective colonies. If anything it doesn't break theme, it enhances it. Simple things like period Holiday music, spiels about sending holiday packages home, cards and letters stacked up for delivery, use native gourds to make ornaments and straw to make garlands and wreaths. I would love to see a tree with all the boat names on the ornaments! Theme the boats and the boathouse but leave the Jungle alone... not too hard to do. The main argument was that it was the Depression but that actually works FOR the theme. Jungle was a tour company that would do ANYTHING to attract business. Also during the Depression stores went ALL OUT on Christmas displays as an act of good will to cheer people up! I remember the stories of my grandparents and how they would go to the stores to see Christmas because their parents couldn't afford much... it was the holiday feeling that mattered, not the gifts!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast